• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

The Via Rail Promotion For CF Members Thread

211RadOp

Reaction score
From the VIA Rail Web Site

VIA Rail to Honour Canadian Forces And National Defence Employees With Free Travel This Summer

Halifax/Quebec City, March 26, 2008 – VIA Rail Canada is proud to honour Canada’s current and former Canadian Forces personnel, National Defence employees, and their families, with a special appreciation fare during the month of July.

During this time, members of the Canadian Forces and National Defence employees will benefit from free unlimited travel in Comfort class anywhere on VIA’s network. With more than half a million current or retired service personnel eligible, the special fare is the first of its kind.

“Like all Canadians we at VIA are proud of the Canadian Forces and pleased when we can help to remind our fellow citizens of their contribution,” said VIA Rail’s Chairman of the Board Donald A. Wright. “In the past, VIA has put the spotlight on our troops and their families through commemorative Remembrance Day trains for the Year of the Veteran and the Year of the War Bride. We hope that this special offer will allow members of the Canadian Forces and their families to experience the country in a way that only the train can offer,” added Mr. Wright.

“As Minister responsible for VIA Rail, I am pleased VIA will honour Canadian Forces members and their families with these special fares, and I hope they and their fellow Canadians will take advantage of all VIA has to offer this summer,” said Lawrence Cannon, Minister of Transport, Infrastructure and Communities. “July is also the 400th anniversary of the founding of Quebec City and I hope Canadians take advantage of this offer to join the festivities.”

“The support shown by VIA Rail to Canada’s men and women in uniform, as well as civilian defence employees, is appreciated by the entire defence community,” said Peter MacKay, Minister of National Defence and Minister of the Atlantic Canada Opportunities Agency. “This initiative will allow members of the Canadian Forces to visit more of the country that they have committed to defend.”

"VIA Rail's offer is one more way we can repay the great debt that all Canadians owe to the brave men and women who have always been willing to defend our nation," said Greg Thompson, Minister of Veterans Affairs.  "This July, our truest heroes will find it easier than ever to see more of the remarkable country they've helped build."

In addition to being able to travel for free with the special fare, members of the Canadian Forces can also bring up to five family members travelling with them at 50 per cent off the regular applicable fare. The offer applies to all current and retired members of the Canadian Forces, Reserve personnel, Department of National Defence employees, and Public Fund employees.
For more information, or to reserve a ticket, go to viarail.ca/forces or call toll-free 1 888 VIA-Rail (1888 842-7245) or 1 800 268-9503 (hearing impaired).

As Canada’s national passenger rail service, VIA Rail Canada's mandate is to provide efficient, environmentally responsible and cost effective passenger transportation services, both in Canada's business corridor and in remote and rural regions of the country. Serving more than 450 communities with a network of inter-city, transcontinental and regional trains, demand for rail services continues to grow as more Canadians turn to train travel as a safe and convenient travel choice.

Now that is amazing.  I'm really impressed by that, getting to go visit my folks for free will be incredible!

Where is the fine print? It looks too good to be true.

Alright.....a quick thread hijack.

How/where does one get 'proof' of past service?

Bruce Monkhouse said:
Alright.....a quick thread hijack.

Approach them and tell them you had a really hard basic training course.
A retired service member won't be able to resist scoffing and telling you how hard it was WAY BACK.

Conditions for the Canadian Forces Family Appreciation Fare

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Valid for travel between July 1, 2008 and July 31, 2008 (inclusive).
Qualifying adult passenger is entitled to complimentary travel in Comfort class within Canada throughout the VIA Rail network on any VIA train.
Up to five additional immediate family members may travel in Comfort class with the qualifying adult passenger at 50% off the adult regular Comfort class fare provided all passengers travel together on the same trains and dates.
Qualifying adult passenger is defined as any adult 18 years of age or older who is in possession of either a valid DND photo identification card, Dependent ID card, or Canex "Club XTra" card.
Immediate family members are defined to include the qualifying member's mother, father, spouse or common-law partner or child or a child for which the qualifying adult passenger is a legal guardian.
Additionally, this special promotional fare may be combined with VIA's existing "Kids Travel Free" promotion, allowing each adult 18 years of age or older to bring one child 2-11 (family member or non-family member) free of charge on the same trains and dates.
With the exception of the "Kids Travel Free" promotion, this discount cannot be combined with any other discount, fare plan, companion fare program, travel product or employee rail pass.
Your ticket must be picked up at a VIA Rail ticket counter with a valid DND photo identification card, Dependent ID card or Canex "Club XTra" card.
Once issued, tickets may be refunded or exchanged without service charge. In the case of ticket exchanges, new tickets must meet the conditions of this fare plan, and all passengers must continue to travel together on the same trains and dates.
Unlimited stopovers are allowed without additional charge.
A separate ticket must be obtained for each passenger travelling.
Offer excludes members of the RCMP.
Not applicable to bookings made online at viarail.ca or with a travel agent or tour operator.
Reservations for this special promotion must be made directly with VIA Rail, either by telephone at
1-888-VIARAIL (1-888-842-7245) or 1 800 268-9503 (hearing impaired), or at a VIA station.
When booking, please refer to the Canadian Forces Family Appreciation Fare or request Discount 11279.
There is no limit to the number of complimentary trips that may be taken during the validity period, provided all conditions and restrictions are met for each trip.

http://viarail.ca/forces/en_condition_july.html

Ok I found the fine print. Now, where is the fine print of the fine print.

Bruce Monkhouse said:

The offer applies to all current and retired members of the Canadian Forces, Reserve personnel, Department of National Defence employees, and Public Fund employees.
Qualifying adult passenger is defined as any adult 18 years of age or older who is in possession of either a valid DND photo identification card, Dependent ID card, or Canex "Club XTra" card.

Retired members will have a CF75 Record of Service/Identification Card. 

Finally a reason to get mine replaced, but how quickly will NDHQ respond.

Blackadder1916 said:
Retired members will have a CF75 Record of Service/Identification Card.  

...never heard of it. I have been out a long time, can anyone slide me towards a link for help?

Thank you for the links.. I saw this on the news this afternoon and could not find a link to it on their website.

I'm wondering if an ex-militia man from 35 years ago with an Honourable Release, proven by his original CF Release Certificate and a copy of his service record from Tunney's Pasture,  would be eligible for this deal ?

Bruce Monkhouse said:
...never heard of it. I have been out a long time, can anyone slide me towards a link for help?

CFAO 15-2 Annex D is applicable ref
http://www.admfincs.forces.gc.ca/admfincs/subjects/cfao/015-02_e.asp
SECTION 1 -- FORMS CF 54 AND CF 75, CERTIFICATES OF SERVICE
DESCRIPTION

2.     Form CF 54 is a certificate signed by the CDS for presentation to each qualified member.  The document is of a size and quality that is suitable for framing.

3.     Form CF 75 is a plasticized bilingual card designed to serve as a convenient record of service and secondarily as a means of identification to be carried by the recipient.

4.     Service particulars on Forms CF 54 and CF 75 are shown in the official language requested by the member.

ELIGIBILITY

5.     Effective 31 January 2000, forms CF 54 and CF 75 shall be issued to a member who has completed 10 or more years service in any component of the Canadian Forces (CF) or who, at the time of release, was entitled to an immediate annuity.  The only exception is that these documents will not be issued to members released under item 1 (misconduct) or 2 (unsatisfactory service).
the reference continues including info about requesting.

So me and my retired service spouse and child can travel for free!
Sweet deal.
Maybe I'll actually be home for a week during that time!

X-mo-1979 said:
So me and my retired service spouse and child can travel for free!
Sweet deal.
Maybe I'll actually be home for a week during that time!

Trains don't sail across to the Rock...  ;)

Hot damn!  I will be on leave during the entire month of July!  If I read things right, for me, my wife and our two kids, it will cost 1/2 an adult's rate to travel ANYWHERE in Canada.  ("Kids travel free": she takes one with her, I take one with me, so to speak).  I think my summer leave plans have just changed!  I'm not driving back to NB: I'm taking the train!  We're taking the train to Ontario to see everyone!  Heck, we just may go to BC on that funky rail car to see the Rockies!

Thank You VIA rail!

Back