• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

"The stuff the army issues is useless" and "no non-issue kit over seas!"

Thanks Puckchaser

Even though that came out, I've had a couple guys tell me their chain of command is dead set on the issue vest.

Farmboy said:
Thanks Puckchaser

Even though that came out, I've had a couple guys tell me their chain of command is dead set on the issue vest.
Well, it does say "...BRIGADE OR TASK FORCE COMMANDER MAY APPROVE..."

Uniformity trumps utility -- otherwise some RSMs/Adjts, whose leadership skills peaked on the parade square, wouldn't know what to do with their time.

Journeyman said:
Well, it does say "...BRIGADE OR TASK FORCE COMMANDER MAY APPROVE..."

Uniformity trumps utility -- otherwise some RSMs/Adjts, whose leadership skills peaked on the parade square, wouldn't know what to do with their time.

I couldn't have said it better myself. True uniformity does not exist - even on the parade square.

Mid Aged Silverback said:
I couldn't have said it better myself. True uniformity does not exist - even on the parade square.
I sense a great disturbance in the force

03+Obi+Wan.jpg

Technoviking said:
I sense a great disturbance in the force

03+Obi+Wan.jpg

Well TV its true! We have all kinds of non uniform stuff. Rank badges, trade badges, differing hat badges, different colour uniforms...so true uniformity is non existant.

Plus, even though some may consider me an extinct species, I am with the troops on the TV. There is no 100% solution.

..so true uniformity is non existant.

There is no 100% solution.

Not True!! Not True!!

Have you ever ONCE seen/heard the White Clad Warriors (Empire?) in ALL the Star Wars Movies complain about kit?? NO!! Know Why?  ...............oh, I thought you might have...... ;D

The gene that all non-genetically engineered soldiers have allowing them to complain was removed in their test tubes prior to birth.

MM

But....but...

You have to be uniform.  Otherwise, this:

arrive9.jpg

Would become this:
stormtrooper8.jpg

Heck, even my cat would be shocked!
366543055_9dcebe0066.jpg

Y'know, I'd be completely okay with that.

After a detailed review of the photographic evidence you have submitted we have determined that a deeper probe of the matter is required forewith.  :nod:

This could be the start of a "Girls of the Imperial Clone Army thread" similar to the "Girls of the IDF thread"

Well TV its true! We have all kinds of non uniform stuff. Rank badges, trade badges, differing hat badges, different colour uniforms...so true uniformity is non existant.

Plus, even though some may consider me an extinct species, I am with the troops on the TV. There is no 100% solution.

I believe that the, admittedly extreme, 100% solution would be 'Total War' vs. 'Limited War'.

In the former, you generally need to get thousands mobilized quickly and shuttled off to the front in large batches to fight for national survival. With the latter, there's alot of time (relatively speaking) to dwell on the minutiae of the military - and especially the combat arms - condition, so we can mix and match in a 'what not to wear' fashion.

Right, I'm off to jury rig something for my Tac Vest so I can carry a small unbreakable thermos on the next ex without having to lug around my fugly day pack thingy...  ;D

I would just like to clarify that the vast majority of stormtroopers post Episode III, were not clones but simply recruits. They had to be human and fit certain size and height restrictions but only ~ 1/3 (circa A New Hope) were clones from the original Jango Fett DNA.

Duredain said:
I would just like to clarify that the vast majority of stormtroopers post Episode III, were not clones but simply recruits. They had to be human and fit certain size and height restrictions but only ~ 1/3 (circa A New Hope) were clones from the original Jango Fett DNA.

The IS helpdesk is strong with this one.

Duredain said:

SERIOUSLY?  :eek:

If only some would spend as much time figuring out how to rapidly defeat the Taliban as they would debating the utility of issue vs non-issue kit

I love the army, there are a lot of good things happening but there are some dinosaurs that need to disappear.

I was down in Fort Drum just last weekend, looking to buy a poncho so I don't have to try and fight someone for a blue rocket to write orders in and was amazed at the way the Americans procure kit.

The Bad = Americans buy all their own kit, everything from underwear, socks, combats, to pouches for there LB Vests

The Good = Because they are buying all their own gear the selection available is phenomenal.  They have 10 different pairs of ballistic eyewear which are DOD approved, as for boots, they had 12 different models approved for wear, as for gloves at least a dozen different types.  The Utility pouches could actually fit a belt of C9 ammo into them, under armour socks available for $5.95, they cost $30 dollars at sport check here.

Best of all the staff at both the quartermasters store and clothing were incredibly friendly and helpful, it was incredibly refreshing to get service like that and definitely a change from what I am accustomed too (Yah I will probably get a lot of flak for saying this but its the truth).

Yes, having to buy your own kit is a little bit of a pain in the rear but if done right, such as the way the Americans do it, I think it would alleviate many of the problems we currently experience with our supply system.

I would more then welcome buying my own gear if it meant I got everything for a reasonable price, I didn't have to deal with miserable people who seem to hate their job, and I got a wide ranging varied selection.  I also believe personnel would take a larger interest in maintaining and looking after their kit as it was bought on their own dime, and it is in their interest to look after it.

One additional thing that really amazed me, you could buy rifle magazines, remember all those times on training courses spent looking for a lost rifle magazine, remember the MP reports, difficulty dealing with stores, this could all be alleviated by having the candidate go down and buy another one on his own dime.

So much to say here - yes the US PX-style clothing stores concept has been discussed throughout the last 1200+ posts in this very topic threa. (I am sure you read them all - right!).  The issue with much of the US kit is that it is not always the same quality and durability as ours.  Their clothing wears out in about 3-6 months.  The fact that they have 12 different models "approved for wear" means that there is no agreement on standards for quality or durability.  The Gucci sunglasses are generally not ballistic eyewear.  The reason for the complication of a lost magazine is obviously beyond your scope of experience - the loss of a controlled stores item needs to be investigated not replaced on your own time with your own dime at the PX or the corner store.

Instead of an unauthorized US poncho, why not buy some waterproof note pages or use a pencil.  Where the going gets tough you won't find many blue rockets to hide in while you write orders.  Perhaps you found a camouflage Harry Potter cloaking poncho at the US clothing stores.

The problem with magazines is that they are prohibited under the Criminal Code, thanks to Brian Mulroney and Kim Campbell.

Indeed. Probably better for the Gun control mega thread, but in the vast majority of US states (not all, Ca comes to mind) 30 round mags are civilian legal. In Canada a 30 round centerfire rifle mag is a prohibited device. This makes it a bit more touchy to lose on our side of the border.

Back