• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

"The stuff the army issues is useless" and "no non-issue kit over seas!"

In my experience there is no trend. Every different task force has different rules. Each different BG RSM has a different pet peeve, and is receiving different direction from each different TF RSM. That being said some things that most likely remain the same;

- Usually non issue boots and gloves are good to go.
- Non issued ballistic eyewear is usually an issue. On both 1-06 and 1-08 there were issues with us wearing Oakleys.
- In the BG and the OMLT non issue rigs are usually good to go, once in theater. Lots of guys are not allowed to wear stuff on work up.
- Any modification or change to your armour is a no go
- Helmet upgrades, like Skydex pads and different chin straps usually go unnoticed

Hopefully this helps. Keep in mind that your position within a roto is going to have a HUGE impact on what you are or arent allowed to use. Generally is you are in NSE you are going to have much more restrictive rules for dress.

That's how I've read the situation as well ... adding to the confusion of what was and what is. I was trying to get a sense of what the current (3RCR) TF is working with and what is over the horizon. As trivial it may sound, the equipment policies (for the BG/OMLT at least) may have correlations with the flexibility of mind in the COIN environment and how each TF approaches the fight. Parade/garrison mentalities have a notorious disadvantage in the COE (stating the obvious, but I think it needs to be mentioned again), and how troops are kitted out is one indication of the approach the COs/RSMs take in a fluid, dynamic and highly unpredictable theatre of ops.

Just a professional curiosity on how various TFs approach the COIN fight, including how troops train and are kitted out.

I realize this thread has been dormant for a while, but like the Toronto Maple Leafs it revives itself for a sickly wheeze once or twice a year. A newer SITREP can't hurt the guys planning for their deployments.

I just got back from 3-08. I was with the NSE, force protection. I got to at least see what people were using in most of the organizations.

The battlegroup seemed to be completely good to go in terms of non issued rigs and boots. OMLT and POMLT likewise. I saw Oakleys worn frequently as the preferred non-issued ballistic eyewear, though orange lenses for BEW are getting issued now to pretty much everybody (assuming some joker doesn't give you the wrong size and then refuse to exchange them).

The Skydex and Oregon Aero pad kits are strictly Verboten, with many angry, prominent posters proclaiming said fact to everybody in KAF. In reality, it was one of those 'out of sight, out of mind' issues that most people who chose to use them got away with. Helmet pads aren't really hard to hide. However, it's also been publicized that the Roto 7 lads will be trialling some sort of new helmet suspension system. RUMINT has it that they're looking at moving to a pad kit for standard issue, but I'd watch and shoot on that. Common consensus from everyone who used a Skydex or Oregon Aero pad kit was that it was a phenomenal purchase, but consult with your chain of command.

I saw some of the CP Gear OTW shirts worn, and got away with it myself when there was no RSM around. They've also been deemed verboten, however eyewitness accounts attest to a sea can full of them or something effectively identical that is being held 'for summer rotos'; such decisions made, no doubt, by the cooler heads that prevail in an air conditioned environment. It is another piece of kit that is generally thought to shortly be issued, though I'm not sure who will get them or how many.

PSYOPS and CIMIC both appeared to have pretty close to free reign, as did the two regular force Force Protection platoons with the KPRT. The platoon that did mostly D&S out of CNS could wear non issued boots, but that appeared to be about it.

The NSE, inevitably, is more finnicky with regards to non-issued kit. They let us be in Force Protection regarding load carriage and boots, but they did enforce the restrictions on OTW shirts, helmet pads, and non-issued eyewear. Everyone else was able to wear their own boots, but just about everything else was 'issued-only'.

Hope that helps. I'll go crawl back into my hole.

Dissident said:
What about holsters?

There is everything from locally manufactured junk bought at the KAF market to Safarilands. Nobody worries about that.

Loachman said:
There is everything from locally manufactured junk bought at the KAF market to Safarilands. Nobody worries about that.

Yup, forgot about this one. I never saw or heard of anyone getting crap for their holster selection.

IMHO, most of the people with junk holsters were those who didn't need pistols anyway. But that's a dangerous can of worms to be opening up, so I'll leave it at that.

I would like to see somebody make shoulder holsters with six-foot straps to see if clueless sloppy people still let them dangle full-length.

Loachman said:
I would like to see somebody make shoulder holsters with six-foot straps to see if clueless sloppy people still let them dangle full-length.

Perfect! It would double as a leash!

Ever see the shoulder holsters a couple people had with the purple straps?

Brihard said:
Ever see the shoulder holsters a couple people had with the purple straps?

Are these people still floating around? I want to point and laugh when I get there (soon)

My guess is that the manufacturer used defectively-dyed webbing on a few, or ran out of OG. It's the back two straps only.

A batch was made with a strap going around the front as well, to cater to those who can't figure out that the holster and mag pouch are supposed to be just under the arm pits rather than somewhere between belly button and genitalia levels.

Loachman said:
the holster and mag pouch are supposed to be just under the arm pits rather than somewhere between belly button and genitalia levels.

But what if you're scratching an itch when you suddenly need to draw your sidearm?  Good to have the holster at ball level!

Loachman said:
My guess is that the manufacturer used defectively-dyed webbing on a few, or ran out of OG. It's the back two straps only.

Didn't we have an issue with the 82 Pattern Webbing in that there was also purplish straps.

Loachman said:

Darn, I was hoping it was someones Idea of a joke, or a way to piss of the RSMs.

NFLD Sapper said:
Didn't we have an issue with the 82 Pattern Webbing in that there was also purplish straps.

Front straps of my 82 pattern sitting at home have dark purple straps.

NL_engineer said:
Darn, I was hoping it was someones Idea of a joke, or a way to piss of the RSMs.

I'm gigglin. DId they issue these holsters to the RMS clerks?

From CANLANDGEN  012/09  CLS  038/09

7.  THE FIRST MFR ARE EXPECTED TO BE ISSUED FOR USE BY TF
1-10. SOLDIERS OF TF 1-10 WILL CONTINUE TO WEAR THE
IN-SERVICE TACTICAL VEST, BUT AS AN INTERIM MEASURE DURING HIGH
READINESS TRAINING OR OPERATIONS, THE DEPLOYING BRIGADE OR TASK
FORCE COMMANDER MAY APPROVE THE WEARING OF LOAD CARRIAGE SYSTEMS
THAT HAVE PREVIOUSLY BEEN APPROVED FOR TRIAL USE FROM THE FOLLOWING
COMPANIES:

A.              ARKTIS

B.              BLACKHAWK

C.              EAGLE

D.              FELLFAB

E.              HIGHSPEED GEAR

F.              PACIFIC SAFETY PRODUCTS

G.              TACTICAL TAILOR

H.              SORD

I.              COTMS

If you are employed as a C-9 gunner, look at obtaining your own tacvest, or hope to be one of the lucky few that get a trial model.  The issued vest is wholly inadequate for carrying C-9 ammo.  They are issuing mag pouches that attach to the leg for being able to carry your extra C-7 mags (fits 6 mags but very tight fit getting them in there), horrible idea in my opinion for those that also carry a TCCC pouch on their leg, but they had to come up with some way to carry the extra ammunition that can't fit in the issued tacvest.  For drop pounches, what some have been doing instead of actually buying one, is using one of their pouches from the ruck, or daybag.  A lot of people are using their own boots, I can't say that I have had a problem with the issued ones, but I don't spend my days humping through the desert.  My average jaunt is down the hill to the mess hall.

Back