• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

"The stuff the army issues is useless" and "no non-issue kit over seas!"

Roy Harding said:
I understand that the cotton underwear you wear next to your skin has not been "pre-treated" in your oven - but think about it.

If its next to my burning furnace of love, trust me - it has been heat-treated.

I am shocked at the tone this thread is taking.

Yeah ri-ight.  >:D

Tommy said:
And Melt in extreme heat...... ie Fire.

hence why the SOP came out that we could not wear them outside the wire on our tour. just inside KAF and the PRT.

Same thing we experienced. No Coolmax outside thw wire becuase of the melting. Cotton T's only.

Wesley  Down Under said:
Same thing we experienced. No Coolmax outside thw wire becuase of the melting. Cotton T's only.

What is the Australian Army's view on non-issue kit in general though?

Well, I wear US desert boots, Altamas with Panama sole. Wore then since 98 (not the same pair, ha). I wear South African M83 webbing, but its AUSCAM, and I use an OD 3L camelbak.

Instead of an issued M9 Buck bayonet, I carry a US Camillus M3 fighting knife in M8A1 scabbard.

In the fd, I wear a DPCU parasmock, because we have no combat jackets, many wear them.

We all have swags, and I have never seen two the same. Mine is made by a former Army mbr, its in DPCU, and canvas. There will be 3 or 4 bungied on the top of a LAV. Wierd sight/

In my swag I use an old CF outer SB, and a poncho liner for the winter here, as it does get frosty in some areas down south

Nothing is ever said.

Even the CO and RSM are guilty.

I use a 1982 ptrn CF ruck, so as long as its OD (pack wise) or things are AUSCAM, it does nto seem to rattle anyone's cage. There is so many variations of packs, webbing and other misc kit in use, no one really acts on it. However, there is 'reggieness' in some units, but Field Force units on a war footing are pretty much left to manage themselves.

That old ruck is batleworn, faded and bleached almost to a reddish tan colour, so it blends in well with terrain

On Ops it the same. Wierd tan boots of heaps of varieties, modified hats brims, modified gloves, but no coolmax t's outide the wire. After we had heard some Yanks were seriously burned in operations, the CSM laid the law down. Cotton T's, either plain or our Unit logo on them.

The wearing of unauthorised name tags such as nick names "BUCK", or 'JOEY" worn on the ECBA was common (but discouraged), and US/AUS rank was also worn on ECBA, so the Yanks knew what grade we were in their system. The use of sub-unit locally made patches too was also done, and these were unauthorised version, some funny. Ya, but that was war, do that here, and you'd get a spanking for sure.

I would say overall, the use of aftermarket kit was and is sanctioned by most, as long as it conforms to the DPCU/DPCU cam ptrns, and boot colour.

Personally, I never bag my blokes out. Its all about being comfortable, and if there is nothing in the system for it, improvise with buying your own. Here its a tax deduction anyways.

In theatrre they were sticky on ECBA (various degrees of wear), eye protection, and kevlar lids, plus anit-flash kit for you face etc, when  'out and about' in the happier areas of Baghdad City and Province.

Also important was of course to be bombed up with ammo and frags. This was always checked before going out. The lads always had heaps of belted 4B1T, F1 frags, 40mm HEDP, etc.

Many aftermarket pouches etc too.

Morale was always excellent from go to whoa.

Cheers,

Wes

QUEBEC–A member of the Canadian Armed Forces who has recently returned from Afghanistan says he and his fellow soldiers are poorly equipped for their mission.

In an interview with French-language network TVA, Cpl. Daniel Beaulieu says the equipment is better suited for peacekeeping missions.

Beaulieu, based in Valcartier, Que., says the vests worn by Canadian soldiers only had pockets for four rounds of ammunition, where between 10 and 15 would have been the norm.

He also says many soldiers had only one or no sidearm, where two should have been the standard.

The veteran soldier also says the boots used by Canadian soldiers are not well suited for long walks through rugged, desert terrain.

The military told the network it would comment on Beaulieu's claims on Wednesday.

http://www.thestar.com/News/Canada/article/303157

Since I have not been in the region, I would like to hear an opinion of those who have "been there done that". Do you find his claims to be relevant?

I know that the intention was probably magazine... but 4 rounds of ammo?
Eeek.

I am not longer in.

However a QUICK perusal of the site here shows threads on each of those topics.

JesseWZ said:
Eeek.

They MEAN 4 Mags... I can only assume.

And if the RCR and PPCLI figured out ways to solve this problem... I'm sure many VanDoos did too.

Could be an isolated complainer.

Solving the problem, by buying our own vest, so his comment that we are not properly equipped for the mission, and our load bearing equipment is more suited for peacekeeping, is IMHO, completely valid. Now whether or not this person should have been making statements to the press is another matter, but I agree with his sentiment.

PhilB said:
whether or not this person should have been making statements to the press is another matter.

Somewhere in LFQA there is a PAFFO spinning like a top. 

And yet, I'm sure this soldier will get a "you really shouldn't have said that" and thats about it... (hopefully)

He's either leaving the army, or wants to be a Cpl forever..good on him in my opinion!  ;D

JesseWZ said:
Eeek.

Yes eek!

I think they meant mags.

Either way, osunds a bit disgruntled and an attitude to boot with this returning guy.

Cheers,

Wes

Wesley  Down Under said:
Yes eek!

I think they meant mags.

Either way, osunds a bit disgruntled and an attitude to boot with this returning guy.

Cheers,

Wes

I cant say I blame him on either... but time and a place.... Dont slag your boss publicly.....

it doesnt make anyone look good.

As a member who is about to deploy....HE IS WAY OUT OF LINE.......

1. We have been issued....ISSUED Arktis vests and other modular type vests and on top of that As well been authorized to wear vests bought from certain companies......the warlord vest, some tactical tailor to name a couple.

2. We have all been issued decent boots...however most members have gotten boot chits and issued SWATS, Converse, Magnums, Daniers Boots Etc by the army. Lots of guys have great boots, Oakleys as well.

3. The sidearm issue.....Cant really comment on that but  I am sure there is a good argument for that....

Maybe the Vandoos did not like to allow its troops to use there own gear but the army has and is buying modular vests for the infantry, they are improving there boots and letting guys wear there own....it seems all right for us....

ark said:
He also says many soldiers had only one or no sidearm, where two should have been the standard.

Not an expert, but two sidearms? As in two pistols? Did they mean a rifle/carbine and a pistol?

The Star needs to get it's act together on the reporting front. There are far too many errors in this article.

CBC's version.

The Valcartier, Que.-based Beaulieu said the vests worn by Canadian soldiers only had pockets for four ammunition magazines, where between 10 and 15 magazines should have been the norm.

Beaulieu also said many soldiers had only one or no extra ammunition clip for their sidearm, where two should have been the standard.

Beaulieu also said the holster designed to carry the guns often failed, with the handgun sometimes falling out and creating a serious security risk.

In other news, this guy's PER should be entertaining.

At least the CBC corrected all the reporting mistakes that were made, it was really painful to imagine why one would need to pistols.

Well there have been several complaints about the holster - and lack of pistol mags.

The CBC version does make a lot more sense. 

Back