• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

"The stuff the army issues is useless" and "no non-issue kit over seas!"

CDN Aviator said:
Thats a good one. I Kosovo we used a cement mixer to do Laundry for a while.

Guess you had concrete proof that the items where cleaned  ;D

Sorry couldn't resist.

Well  I'm back. Again, with an opinion.

Now I understand that many of you beleive that I may be a "dinosaur' when it comes to kit. When you're in garrison or KAF, I absolutely beleive that issue kit has to be the norm, with exceptions being made medically (boots, as many of us have a hard time with the Mark 3's and the issue desert boots as an example) . If I ever get to Afghanistan, the Original Swat desert boots will be coming with me, even if I have to buy them.
Outside the wire on combat ops...leave it up to the soldier.

Well that's a start.  In KAF we only walked around with our pers wpn unless we were leaving to go on an OP and then it was from the Shacks to the vehicle.  Although I disagree to some extent with your statement about use in garrison because if we are to train as we fight and we are fighting in these "other" rigs we should not be learning about their use in Afghanistan.  On step at a time I guess.

Lone Wolf:
I think we basically agree. If you're in KAF for an extended period, it's similar to being in garrison. You have to conform. It's not a matter of picking and choosing what dress regulations you'll follow when in garrison or KAF. You have to do what you're told.

Like I say to my company, I don't care what other units do, we will do what we're told.

As for combat ops, if it does not interefere with personal safety (ie dry weave t shirts, which melt), and if its reasonable, then it should be overlooked.
I for one, when I get to Afghanistan (and I will, I hope) will invest in a couple of pair of non issue desert boots. :cdn:

OldSolduer said:
I for one, when I get to Afghanistan (and I will, I hope) will invest in a couple of pair of non issue desert boots. :cdn:

AMEN. When I had mark 3's I was a medical release waiting to happen. Thank you magnums and swats...

I refuse to Wear MkIIIs....within 1/2 an hour everything hurts. I'll wear original SWAT until the Army issues the new pattern boot.
In my company, your boots have to be black and conform to a combat boot type of thing. Know what I mean?

I remember two generals who stated that Danners etc were forbidden was that because it was the Army's job to issue you your footwear.
That is true, but it has to be GOOD footwear, not lowers bidder in Canada footwear.

If there is anyone from NDHQ on this web, please pay attention. The troops welfare depend on it. :cdn:

In 1VP, the boots just have to be black - unless it is hot and we are in the field, then they can be black or tan.

Don't tell me common sense has broken out!!! Oh my whatever shall we do!!! LOL
OK here is another "dinosaur" story!
When we were in Cyprus, we got issued jungle boots. If we were in the field, they were good to go in some units. If we were on a road move...no jungle boots.....all in the name of uniformity. It was very exasperating.

In one unit, even if you were issued jungle boots, you were not allowed to wear them EVER because the RSM didn't have a pair...true story.

At a time when we are looking to conserve CF funds for more important things - (like t-shirts, underwear, beans and bullets), you guys should be commended for doing your part by not requiring the re-issue of Black and Tan boots ::)

Cyprus - JBs - If we were on the Ledra gate in Cbts then we had to spit shine the toes (no sh*t!).  Normally we were in that stupid tropical dress and had to wear hush puppies (old desert boots)

I remember the Ledra Gate.  And I remember spit shining jungle boots, starching that ridiculous ball cap and pressing combats....
Downtown Nicosia was entertaingin though.

Lone Wolf, sit down by the fire while us old warriors regale you with tales of glory while manning Ledra Gate in our spit shone jungle boots, ridiculous hats and starched combats!!
Yes were were issued shorts, but I never wore them.
We had these socks that came up to your knees. There were OK.
It was very much a "garatrooper" operation.

Was that type of attention to detail from the get go or did it creep in over time?

Topic Split?

Those hush puppy shoes and Cyprus socks are/where the cats meow.Cyprus was the best social event I was ever invited too.It is impossible to make everyone in the army happy with the kit that we get. My days of buying additional kit are long over. So I'm back too saying if the army doesn't get it to me I guess I don't need it. Overall I'm pretty happy with the kit our platoon has received for TF1-08. We are leaps and bounds ahead of the Croatia,Kosovo, Bosnia days. I still wear my Mark's with my Cyprus socks right behind my knee caps!!!!!!! 

TOW TRIPOD

Matt_Fisher said:
Just as an FYI, cotton, while being non-melting, does still burn.  If you're that concerned about FR underwear, you might want to consider some of the stuff which is commercially available in mil-friendly colours... *cough*driFIRE @ CP Gear*cough*...

Just a thought here (and as an aside I STILL wear my old cotton underwear when the weather dictates - then again, I'm no longer in a position to worry about combustion sources, other than my chain saw).

When I was a Boy Scout, we made "survival kits".  Part of that survival kit was whatever cotton rag your Mom would give you, which you baked on low heat in the oven.  It was EXCELLENT fire starter.  I still carry some in my current "Boy Scout" survival kit whenever I'm out in the bush.  It works GREAT - get a spark on it, it burns.

I understand that the cotton underwear you wear next to your skin has not been "pre-treated" in your oven - but think about it.

Back