• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

The Simunition Merged Thread- Check Here First

AlphaCharlie

Inactive
Reaction score
Does Canada use simunition when training?

I‘ll assume you guys know what it is.

If they do... mm sounds like fun!

We do use simunitions, yes. They are a useful training aid, though not without some problems, mostly related to the protective gear required for its use.

What annoying noises? It sounds like regular small arms fire but quieter.

aaahh k. I was told they make this horrid high pitch tone when you‘ve been hit.

Your thinking MILES, Which is Laser TAG. They make the high pitch tone when hit.

Simunition is Paintball, For AR‘s. I just used them last weekend, and on bare skin it hurts.

Its basically a plastic 9MM round filled with coloured chaulk. They are great for C Q B but pretty useless after 50 metres. They add alot of realism to FIBUA. Troops tend to be alot more carefull after gettin one center of mass. They don‘t have anything for the guns yet. Full auto can be troublesome. However the worst part has to be the Darth Vaderlike head gear. No pereferal vision and they fog up instantly. Poor visiblity in low light conditions. Other than that they are far supior to blanks. If there was a way to marry MILES gear ( for long range and fire support) and simunition ( CQB) that would be a winner.

It‘s not chaulk. It‘s paint. Still got it on my vest. They use 9mm, but also 5.56mm around.

http://www.simunition.com/

Heres What it looks Like when yah get hit.

f9b6811d.jpg

It‘s neither, actually, it‘s soap (detergent) of some sort.

Is that a Tac Vest? Where did you get it?

Simunition is a detergent based paint. It‘s actually both. Went through this story when I did block training with Ontario Provincial Police. They use simunition for their training and it‘s actually a very interesting approach to training. It adds quite a bit of realism and when it‘s done safely it‘s great. There have been known accidents with it but that‘s because people haven‘t paid attention.

Simunition started in law-enforcement-world as a training aid, and was quickly adapted to the military for OBUA training.

It has its limitations, but it‘s pretty fantastic stuff.

We used it during Ex Stalwart Guardian, and apparently we will use it again next month at Fort Drum on a combined unit FTX (48th, QOR and RRC)... more OBUA stuff.

They mostly have adapters for pistols and SMGs as this is where it all started, but the Colt M4 upper receiver (which goes on your C7 lower receiver) is great kit, and turns your 1m long hunk of firepower into a shorter, OBUA-friendly assault rifle.

What I don‘t like are the cheap, easily breakable mags. Also, I seem to recall the mags held fewer rounds than the normal 30-rd mags ... I might be mistaken, August was a long time ago.

A few friends of mine are Toronto cops, and they all got to play with Simunition at Ontario Police College during some traffic stop scenarios, and again back at Toronto‘s C O Bick police college, they did some fun indoor stuff (judgement training, etc). I believe the tactical cops also use Simunition extensively in their training.

Mags only hold 20 and a pain to load, without breaking the bullet. Why I got hit, First man in.

usually not going to make it. :-( Unless your fast.

Easy way to load the 9mm simunition:

Take the T-handle from the cleaning kit of the C7 and use it to push and hold down the little black nub on the back of the magazine, which in turn pushes the magazine follower down - you can load a lot faster that way. Even still the last couple of rounds are a pretty tight fit.

How did you as a reservist get issued a TV, Robert KM? Are you going over shortly?

The masks work perfeectly if you talk the vent covers of. One near the forehead and one over the mouth. With the vent covers off its easy breathing.

Lol, that would be so weird to walk past. I‘m about to go off on my BMQ, which course do you generally start using simunition on? I guess my real question is how soon till i get to play? ;)

Pte Gremlin, you wont be doing it on your BMQ or SQ, once your qualifed and can go on ex‘s with your unit, thats when your be able to use it(if your unit goes on a Ex with simmunition)

You probably will not see it on course, Pte Gremlin, but once you get to your unit, if you‘re working OBUA, it‘s likely to appear. Mostly units in LFCA get to use it because LFCA bought so many sim-kits that they can get them fielded a lot.

If only there was a way to aim them better - holding a C7 at arm‘s length with irons trying to pick a guy off the roof of a building at Pet‘s OBUA site sucked last time I was out (couple weekends ago.) They still need to issue 9mm barrel brushes for them too.

Interesting thread. The Army currently holds 300 sets (with 85 to each of the 3 main Areas, and the remnant in CTC for LFAA), and LFCA purchased an additional 400 sets (something that I will never do again - I know waaay too much about PWGSC etc) for its own use. The Army is in the process of purchasing an new system that uses 5.56 mm and 7.62mm rds, and the only thing that you have to change from your exisiting weapons (including C9 and C6 - the current system is C7 only) will be the bolt, because it uses a rim-fire system. Hopefully, LFCA will get the first "company pack" of this new system by July 04, and we will use it at Ex STALWART GUARDIAN, along with our 485 sets that we already have. This means that for the FIBUA (or OBUA, or UO) stand, each company will be issued its kit the day before they assault the objective, obviating the requirement for kit handover etc.. Moreover, we will be building 2 more portable FIBUA sites (like the one in John Foote Armoury) to facilitate rehearsals.

Originally posted by D-n-A:
[qb] Pte Gremlin, you wont be doing it on your BMQ or SQ, once your qualifed and can go on ex‘s with your unit, thats when your be able to use it(if your unit goes on a Ex with simmunition) [/qb]
i dont have my BMQ but i did FATS training :p

Back