• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

The Shaving Superthread- All You Want and More....

Hale, I just find shaving with just hot water works just as well for me as using any soap. And I always throw on some Old Spice when Im done, I've been doing the same thing for the last 3 years and its been working fine for me.

Going against the grain...

I used to use the Gillette Sensor and Mach3 blades, but after a while, i realised that I was spending a fortune in razor blades.  The blades usually seemed to last less than a week.  A couple of years ago, I went and bought myself a Phillishave Cool Skin, with the lotion cartridges, and it seems to be a comparable shave to a razor.  The lotion cartidges last a few weeks and are a fraction of the price as razor blades, and the blades in the Phillishave (according to the manual) need to be replaced every two years.  It cost a fair bit ($150 I think) but I've made that back in not buying expensive razor blades every few weeks!

But maybe I'll try the Fusion out sometime...

So, I shaved last night, and today I need to shave again  :D  (Yes I did do it right, this time  ;) )

One I am in the field I use an electric razor that pushes shaving lotion out of the top and I hate the thing, it gives me a uneven shave along with pure agony. Maybe because I am such a hair bastard, out of the field I use the mach 3 or that other 3 blade one, what I would like though is to find a straight razor. Any suggestions?  Take care Can-Am

I am the only one that thinks perhaps shaving with a blade that could hack off your head may be a bad idea?

Consider this.  The safety razor has only been in existance for, about the last 100 yrs.  For centuries prior that is how men (and enlightened women  ;) ) shaved.  Doesn't seem so far fetched now, does it?

BernDawg said:
Consider this.  The safety razor has only been in existance for, about the last 100 yrs.  For centuries prior that is how men (and enlightened women  ;) ) shaved.  Doesn't seem so far fetched now, does it?

Why do you think the safety razor came into existence ???

A women's view.

As a home care worker when I shave my male clients I have to use an electric shaver(piece of garbage),I find that it leaves more whisker than it shaves.
I personally use Mach 3 make buying blades easier since my home is male dominate.
A long time ago I was a hairdresser,I was taught to shave the back of the neck with a straight razor specially when doing "0" tapers.I did my course across the road from DND Headquarters.
When I met my husband I stopped him and his house mates from massacring their hair with the clippers and started doing their hair for them,even though I hadn't picked up my straight edge in a long time I did get the back of their necks whistle clean without one nick.
Yes we do use disposable blades now a days ,But considering all the diseases you can pass on from a few droplets of blood hidden in the crevasses of a blade its a better idea.
my blades are made from Wilkinson Sword and keep and edge on them for quite a long while through many uses.

Can-american said:
One I am in the field I use an electric razor that pushes shaving lotion out of the top and I hate the thing, it gives me a uneven shave along with pure agony. Maybe because I am such a hair *******, out of the field I use the mach 3 or that other 3 blade one, what I would like though is to find a straight razor. Any suggestions?  Take care Can-Am

If you don't mind the straight edge with the disposable blade most beauty/barber supply shops carry them. Some might even carry the regular ones.
Never hurts to ask.

retd cpl wife said:
As a home care worker when I shave my male clients I have to use an electric shaver(piece of garbage),I find that it leaves more whisker than it shaves.

Ah! I can agree with that... though I know it's policy, especially for clients that are diabetic. The client that I visit weekly right now, and the other one that I visit from time to time to pick up extra hours does not require me to do this. But I do recall, being on training in a Long Term Care centre a few yrs ago we did use an electric razor also :) so you're not alone there, in not liking how it worked.

~Rebecca

Mt wife is a nurse in a downtown TO hospital.
FWIW she shaves her patients with Gillette Trac Two disposable razors and Gillette gel shaving cream for Sensitive skin. All the nurses on her floor do the same and pay for these items out of their own pocket.

I use a kitwhoreco T-97, it has some 43 blades, and each head only costs 92.45!

LOL, as much as I like to make fun of gillette marketing, I do in reality use a Mach 3.

Baden  Guy said:
FWIW she shaves her patients with Gillette Trac Two disposable razors and Gillette gel shaving cream for Sensitive skin. All the nurses on her floor do the same and pay for these items out of their own pocket.

That sounds like it would work much, much better and a much better shave! When I was in training for Health Care Aide (Personal Support Worker) we were taught not to clip toenails (another example) or shave with razor blade, as not to put our client at risk for getting cut. At the same time though, my one client that I pick up hours for from time to time at homecare, is Diabetic and we are required to test his blood sugar... as he is unable to so for himself. So, sometimes depending on where you work.... you pick up a little extra training that you never expected you would outside of what they taught us in school, which is fine with me, because I love learning new skills  ;D

Thanks for your post, I will have to remember that and if I ever run into a situation where I am working with a client that does need help with a shave, I will have to check with my boss and see if it's alright if I can do the same thing as your wife does when she is working. Never hurts to inquire.

~Rebecca

I know its policy where I work now ,no shaving with blades ,no nail clipping ,and get this no blowdrying hair(I'm a retired hairdresser with an active license) But when I worked in a nursing home I clipped nails used a razor and did my share of hairdressing ,even though I was a P.S.W.
I guess its all according to your company.
I believe Baden Guy's wife has a bit more lee way as she is a nurse (regulated profession) as P.S.W do not have that protection.

I've found the Gillette Good News Excel the best i've tried so far, at a very good price too.  For some reason I nick myself more often with the More expensive Sensor and Trac II.

Back