• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

The Shaving Superthread- All You Want and More....

D Squared said:
No razor for me...waxing is the only way to go.  ;D
Oh, did you mean facial hair?  Sorry, can't help you with that one.
But do not, I repeat DO NOT use those razors for your legs  ::)

Gillette Venus is not so bad  ;D

~Rebecca

the 48th regulator said:
Mike,

Try putting the blade on the Mach three, they are on the back of the plastic thingy that holds the handle.  You will get those three hairs, and really get a close shave  :D
::) They were on there when it came, and there are more then three hairs  ::)  sheesh

I've used the Mach 3 for years, and I haven't been let down. With daily shaving and decent blade maintenence, I can usually keep the blades good and sharp for a while (my record being 10 weeks) though I usually replace after 3 weeks or so.

Dry shaving works in a pinch when needed. I've done it for up to 18 weeks at a time. Though, given a choice I'd rather have the time to use shaving cream for a shave.

I still use the Gillete Sensor that my grandpa bought me when I turned 13, although its starting to show some wear and tear I like it. I rarely use shaving soaps or oils, I like to think not using them makes me tougher  ;D

I actually DO shave with a straight cutthroat razor that takes disposable blades (I tried one you need to sharpen, and that was a disaster). It takes a bit of a knack to get used to it (and occasionally 
having a face that looks like rancid raw ground beef), but damn, you wind up with your skin feeling as smooth as glass once you're done. Just don't sneeze when you use it.

kratz said:
Dry shaving works in a pinch when needed. I've done it for up to 18 weeks at a time. Though, given a choice I'd rather have the time to use shaving cream for a shave.

Actaully, for some of us, it absolutely does NOT.  I remember back in my fresh faced days of high school I used to dry shave evry now and then in the morning if I was in a rush.  I recently revisisted that practice a number of times, and it turned out diasastrous.  I can think of few things less enjoyable to do and if in the field, it is another (significant) discomfort.

I cannot for the life of me find an electric razor that works for me.  I've considered going out and buying the most expensive one I can find with the mindest that it would HAVE to work at the price, but I've avoided doing that so far.

I currently use Mach 3's with less then prefect results.  Maybe the first few shaves aren't bad, but after that, it's all down hill.  I would like to hear the poster that spoke of "blade maintenence" offer some tips. 

I suppose I should try the Fusion but I'm not overly optimistic.

Fortunately, up to now, most of my superiors have recognized that I'm one of the "9am shadow" types but I'd still like to get a nice smooth, and COMFORTABLE, shave.

Maybe i just need a "no shaving" chit? >:D

http://www.theartofshaving.com - good source for all things shaving

We are lucky here in Waterloo there are a couple of places that still do the straight blade shave and it is outstanding for those of you who have never had the pleasure....hot towel , the whole nine yards.

Hey Feral, check these sites out.

http://www.knifecenter.com/kc_new/store_store.html?ttl=Straight%20Razors&srch=eqWWWCAT_1datarq%3Dshave%26eqWWWCAT_2datarq%3Dstraight

http://www.bowmanbeauty.com/store/shop.mvc?page=BBS/CTGY/1-6030

Cheers.
Bern

Thanks Bern.. They aren't cheap are they.. But there is something pretty cool about a straight razor.. Might have to look into how to do that properly.

Say hi to the boys in the shop for me..

DirtyDog said:
I cannot for the life of me find an electric razor that works for me.  I've considered going out and buying the most expensive one I can find with the mindest that it would HAVE to work at the price, but I've avoided doing that so far.

Try this one out: http://www.braun.com/global/360complete/360complete.html

Although it certainly isn't cheap at $200+, it is the best electric shaver out there. Furthermore, it has a 30-day money back guarantee so you can return it with no questions asked if you're not satisfied with the results.

Imbeault said:
I rarely use shaving soaps or oils, I like to think not using them makes me tougher ;D
Us manly men never use them  :D We also eat kippers and beef tongue, so that hardens us more  ;D

Feral, the old crew is gone brother.  I'm the only one left that went to HI (still one of the best ex's I've been on) and I'll be gone this summer.  Comox bound I am, maybe we'll bump into each other on the island sometime.
:D

I cant believe anyone would actually encourage dry shaving! Its just downright painful and leaves you with a raw face with no moisture.
Funnily enough i used the ex-girlyfriends shaver a couple in the shower, it was one of those vibrating ones. Worked a treat!
I'm a Mach 3 man myself. I went against the trend recently and got myself a 2 blade gillette razor after the shop ran out of mach3 heads, mach3 still cane's it and i dont think i'll ever go anything less that 3 blades.
The straight razors are great too, theres nothing like sitting back and being shaved. Its like the male equivelent to a woman having her nailes done.

Oxford straight razor for the ones here who are old enough to remember them, bought one in Englnd in 1981 and been using it ever since. I bring it to my barber twice a year to have it sharpened, works fanatastic and leaves your face feeling soooo good and smooth as a baby's behind. Using it takes a bit of a learning curve without cutting up your face a bit, but once you get used to it, you'll never go back.

Most Cdn cities are now passing health by-laws that require barbers to use straight razors with disposable blades.  Hub says that getting a shave with a straight blade with a disposable isn't quite the same as getting one with a regular blade. (if you can even find a barber nowadays that will still do it)

I use the Fusion. It has the extra one blade that I more use. It gives that straight razor feeling. Nice and close.

I have a straight razor.. but never really attempt faith yet. First thing is the morning is not for me to do first aid on myself.  ;D

Most straight razors today have disposable blades, in my view there not the real deal, its just like buying a gillette razor. There are still a few shops around that sell the "real deal" but there pricey because of the tensioned stainless steal thats used in the blade so it will keep its edge. I seen a few shops on the web that sell them. "Once you go straight you'll never go back"

Myself the reason why i went with the straight razor is i have very heavy beard, because if I use an ordinary razor, it's like I never shaved in the first place and by 10:00am i have stubble again, with the straight razor its clean smooth and no shadow at least until dinner time.

http://www.classicshaving.com/page/page/1240646.htm

Heres a site that explains how to hold and use a straight razor, and explains the benefits of using one and of course the consequences of not doing it right. "OUCH" anybody have a bandaid!!

http://www.menessentials.com/oxid.php/sid/x/shp/oxbaseshop/cl/info/tpl/straight_razors.tpl

Back