• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

The Reserve Thread- A Merged Collection of Q & A's

sorry guys, this question might sound stupid.
I didn't do a lot research when I applied for the local regiment, right now I am still waiting for my application to be processed, is it too late to change regiment?
thanks guys

It's never too late for proper capitalization.

eugene1213 said:
sorry guys, this question might sound stupid.
I didn't do a lot research when I applied for the local regiment, right now I am still waiting for my application to be processed, is it too late to change regiment?
thanks guys

Just go down and talk to the Recruiter at the other unit that you would prefer joining up with.  It's as simple as that.

I know that you can't be sworn in until all pre-requisites are met, but can you complete the application process while still in grade 10? I'd like to do a full-time BMQ/SQ in the summer after gr. 10, and if it's possible, I would like to apply ASAP in order to be loaded on a full-time course. I.e: If I turn 16 in the November of gr. 10, and finish gr. 10 in June, can I apply in November or do I have to wait until June? thanks.

armrecceman said:
I know that you can't be sworn in until all pre-requisites are met, but can you complete the application process while still in grade 10? I'd like to do a full-time BMQ/SQ in the summer after gr. 10, and if it's possible, I would like to apply ASAP in order to be loaded on a full-time course. I.e: If I turn 16 in the November of gr. 10, and finish gr. 10 in June, can I apply in November or do I have to wait until June? thanks.

You will need to talk to a recruiter. You need a min of grade ten to be enrolled.

Also the wait time can be a while so you might not be enrolled in time to get a full time course (I'm not even sure they run full time BMQ anymore) It's better to do the weekend courses then do your trade course in the summer so you can be fully qualified within a year instead of waiting a year to get your trade course.

AgentSmith said:
You will need to talk to a recruiter. You need a min of grade ten to be enrolled.

Also the wait time can be a while so you might not be enrolled in time to get a full time course (I'm not even sure they run full time BMQ anymore) It's better to do the weekend courses then do your trade course in the summer so you can be fully qualified within a year instead of waiting a year to get your trade course.
Ok, thanks for the info regarding my question. Re your second statement, being a high school student, I'd prefer to BMQ/SQ in the summer after grade 10 and trades course in the summer following grade 11, in order to minimize the amount of conflicts that may arise (I.e. Huge test on a Monday, no time to study because I was on course all weekend). Please note that I do understand that such conflicts will arise, due to field ex's and such, but if I could get summer courses, I'm thinking that the amount of conflicts would be minimized (BMQ every weekend for however many weeks (11?, 12?) vs. 1 FTX per month).

MPHopeful13 said:
Ok, thanks for the info regarding my question. Re your second statement, being a high school student, I'd prefer to BMQ/SQ in the summer after grade 10 and trades course in the summer following grade 11, in order to minimize the amount of conflicts that may arise (I.e. Huge test on a Monday, no time to study because I was on course all weekend). Please note that I do understand that such conflicts will arise, due to field ex's and such, but if I could get summer courses, I'm thinking that the amount of conflicts would be minimized (BMQ every weekend for however many weeks (11?, 12?) vs. 1 FTX per month).

You don't always get what you want. Summer courses are harder and harder to come by and depending on your geographical location you may only have the option of a weekend course. Your trade courses however, will be full-time pending available space and instructors, some recruits sit around at the unit for years sometimes waiting for courses and end up releasing. Especially in a time of budget cuts, take any and all courses you can when they're available because it may be a long time before you'll see it offered again.

My advice to you is wait until you're finished High School, you'll have less to worry about and more command and control over scheduling your work and schooling needs. If your username is any indication as well, you cannot join the Military Police (PRes or Reg) without meeting the following:

• 18 yrs of Age
  • Enrolled in Grade 12 (Regular Force require a College Diploma in Police Studies/Law & Security/Criminal Justice)
  • Drivers Licence (full, unrestricted)
  • Good Character and morale attributes

However, you could join other PRes units.

MPHopeful13 said:

As another poster said you don't always get what you want. In the military you don't get a choice. If they only have weekend courses available, that's what you get. I went to college full time and still did my BMQ on weekends without issue. If your school offers it, maybe look into the CO-OP program through the military. Also, even if you did a full time BMQ/BMQ-L you'd be sitting on your butt for at least a year waiting for the next summer to get your trade course.

Hey guys,
I've always wanted to join the reserves, but with my current career I thought it would not be an option. I was looking into it online and found out about part-time BMQs, which I could definitely do!
What I would like to know is, are there part time BMQs in Winnipeg area, and who would I need to contact to apply for it?

When I looked into the reserves I was told to contact a reserve unit directly.
http://www.army-armee.forces.gc.ca/en/jobs-careers/reserve.page#manitoba
If you go here and scroll down to Manitoba and Saskatchewan it will give you a list of the reserve units. 
I would suppose the best advice would be to get in contact with one of those, notably the headquarters, and they at the very least, can point you in the correct direction.

Cheers and Goodluck  ;D

Hello,

I have some questions about recruiting that I haven't had answered yet. I've tried contacting a recruiter but they're only available one day a week at the base I am applying to, and I haven't been able to contact them even on that day. I haven't had time to go up to the base either to actually meet a recruiter. I've spoken to a person in the military currently and someone who used to be in the reserves, but I still have some questions that I need answers to. I  turned 16 last June and I am really interested in a career in the Army.

1. I saw that the minimum time needed to serve every month was 4 evenings plus a full weekend. Would those 4 evenings be allowed to translate to 4 full days? If so, would more than one full weekend be allowed? I heard on the evenings that it was things like marching and such, so I wasn't too sure.

2. I've heard that lodging and food is provided while at the base training, and such. Would it lodging and food still be provided if you served more than the minimum time bracket?

3. To apply you need to give certain identification, what kind of documents should I look at getting to apply?

4. What is the exact time schedule? Say for evenings what time would I need to arrive, what time would it end. Same for weekends.

5. To join the reserves do I need to enter with a trade? I have no trade experience, so I wouldn't be able to join in with a trade. If you don't need a trade, would it lower your chance of getting in?

6. Will I need a drivers licence?

7. How long would basic training be? I've heard its done over a set of weekends. I'd prefer to do it all at once to get all I can out of basic training. I prefer a challenge.

8. After an application is filed, how long am I looking at before I get a reply?

9. When you earn ranks in the reserves and later join the forces full time, does your rank carry over or do you need to start from scratch?

10. After basic training is done, what kind of things will I be doing for work?

I'm sorry if these are fairly common questions with answers found quite easily, it's just that I personally haven't found answers to them myself and these are things I've been wondering about for well over a year. Also, I've already set my mind to join the reserves/army regardless of any of the answers to the questions above, so please answer 100% honestly and as best as possible.

I look forward to hearing your replies.

EDIT: Thank you Ludoc and Brasidas for the quick replies. I'm going to see if I can get in contact with a recruiter this Tuesday just to get answers to the more specific answers that seem to vary from base to base. Thanks again.

WinterGhost said:
Hello,

I have some questions about recruiting that I haven't had answered yet. I've tried contacting a recruiter but they're only available one day a week at the base I am applying to, and I haven't been able to contact them even on that day. I haven't had time to go up to the base either to actually meet a recruiter. I've spoken to a person in the military currently and someone who used to be in the reserves, but I still have some questions that I need answers to. I  turned 16 last June and I am really interested in a career in the Army.

1. I saw that the minimum time needed to serve every month was 4 evenings plus a full weekend. Would those 4 evenings be allowed to translate to 4 full days? If so, would more than one full weekend be allowed? I heard on the evenings that it was things like marching and such, so I wasn't too sure.

Minimum is one evening per month.

2. I've heard that lodging and food is provided while at the base training, and such. Would it lodging and food still be provided if you served more than the minimum time bracket?

You normally get rations and quarters while on courses and taskings. If its local to your area you may be able to stay at home.

You are not guaranteed to be able to work more than the normal parades, but you can request it. If a tasking is local to your area, you may not be offered rations and quarters.

3. To apply you need to give certain identification, what kind of documents should I look at getting to apply?

4. What is the exact time schedule? Say for evenings what time would I need to arrive, what time would it end. Same for weekends.

Depends on the unit.

5. To join the reserves do I need to enter with a trade? I have no trade experience, so I wouldn't be able to join in with a trade. If you don't need a trade, would it lower your chance of getting in?

You choose a military trade. There may be a handful of civilian equivalencies granted. But the reserve targets recruitment to training their own. Some people join the reserve in part to get relevant training for their civilian career, such as vehicle techs (mechanics).

No. Its often helpful for getting to an armoury. My first day after basic took three hours one way to get from the burbs to the armoury.

7. How long would basic training be? I've heard its done over a set of weekends. I'd prefer to do it all at once to get all I can out of basic training. I prefer a challenge.

Last full-time courses I saw were four weeks BMQ, four weeks SQ. You may not be offered a choice in course format. Expect approximately 40 day-equivalents. I may be corrected on that.

8. After an application is filed, how long am I looking at before I get a reply?
There's a big range.

9. When you earn ranks in the reserves and later join the forces full time, does your rank carry over or do you need to start from scratch?
There's a big range. It depends on experience and differences in training.

Courses related to your occupation, preparation for courses, familiarization with your trade, support of your unit's operations, and individual soldier skills.

I'm sorry if these are fairly common questions with answers found quite easily, it's just that I personally haven't found answers to them myself and these are things I've been wondering about for well over a year. Also, I've already set my mind to join the reserves/army regardless of any of the answers to the questions above, so please answer 100% honestly and as best as possible.

I look forward to hearing your replies.

Learn to effectively search for answers yourself. Go to local armouries, shadow somebody, and ask questions. Find out more about your options for trades.

WinterGhost said:
You need to be there when everyone else is. Otherwise how will people mentor you?

Rations and quarters (food and lodging) is provided when you are away from your home unit regardless of the time you serve.

When you make contact with a recruiter they will let you know as well as give you reams of paperwork to fill out.

That depends on what unit you apply to.

Every unit is made up of people either specializing in one trade (an infantry unit) or a bunch of people with different trades (a service battalion). While some military trades are analogous to civilian trades they are all different in quite a few ways. The CAF will provide all the training you need to be able to perform your trade. Prior experience in a related trade is beneficial but unnecessary, the vast majority of people join without any previous training. In fact in many trades it is not possible to have experience in the things the CAF does as military members are the only ones who do it.

Generally no, but it helps.

Weekend vs full time training depends on how your unit/brigade (group of local units) is currently running its training.

That depends on what unit you apply to and when you apply.

IF you are able to switch from one to the other you will, generally, either move over at the same rank or lose one rank level. Which happens depends on your circumstances (time in rank, qualifications, etc) and whether there is an open spot available for you to fill. That, of course, assumes you switch over and stay in the same trade, if you also switch trades all bets are off.

Again that depends on what kind of unit you apply to.

Weekday training nights will usually be 1830-2200

Go to your local reserve unit Recruiting NCO or even the CFRC; they'll be able to answer these questions with much more detail

Hi there,

I'm currently going into first year software development at a college. It's a 3 year advanced diploma with an option to complete a Bachelor's of Technology afterwards.

I'm interested in the Signals Officer trade as well as Engineer Officer. I was wondering if it is possible to join the reserves for the Officer trades even though I'm doing a diploma, I do have intent on completing the Bachelor's though.

Hello,

This is my first post here, and I was hoping to get some information about the recruitment process.

I am a student currently working on a Paralegal Diploma, and I was looking for part-time opportunities in the CF. I previously contacted a few different Reserve units, and recently was invited via email to attend a recruiting information session at a local armoury. The email said that there will be a presentation, and staff on hand to answer any questions; it also said that "After the information session, individual selection for interviews will be made."

The questions I have are; should I bring anything with me to this session (Resume, etc), and what sort of criteria would these interviews be based on?

Thanks in advance.

Good day p.how,

An information session is to provide you with more information on the local primary reserve unit in your area and occupations available within that Primary Reserve unit. You are not required to bring any documents to an information session however that being said you may bring your proof of citizenship and official academic transcripts with you. The interviewing at the end of the information session is to provide additional information for those interested in joining that local reserve unit and for the local reserve unit to decide on which individuals that they may like to see join their unit. If you’re interested and selected then the Reserve unit will provide you with more information on the application process for the Primary Reserve force.

You can find more information about the primary reserves on our website at the following link:

http://www.forces.ca/en/page/careeroptions-123#tab3

Sorry I keep posting topics for those following and answering my questions I just have no time to search, and even if I did search "reserves" nothing relevant comes up.

I have many friends in the forces who have told me to join the reserves first, instead of full-time, just so I know what i'm getting myself into.

I see most of the trades I want to do have both full-time and part-time options.

I guess my questions are as follows:

As a reservist Pilot, would I have to be in post-secondary school to be part-time or on my way to completing a relevant degree? Are sufficient high-school marks(University courses with +65 average okay)?

If going for infantry or something related that's NCM, will my rank in the reserves carry over to full-time if I decide to take the plunge?

Is there voluntary training in the summer that lasts most of it's months (Weapons for example for infantry or flying for example Pilot)? Is this training mandatory? Would this training be similar to the training done for officer's (Yes i'm aware not the same but the way it works) who are getting their education paid for by the forces?

I would talk to a recruiter but my next days off are limited and I was just there yesterday >.<. Slipped my mind.

Mike7788 said:
Sorry I keep posting topics for those following and answering my questions I just have no time to search, and even if I did search "reserves" nothing relevant comes up.

so since you have NO TIME to search, I have NO TIME to answer you.

You are looking into an officer trade yet you come up like we are here to spoon feed every move you do ?

If you have no time to even search for answers , you have NO TIME to join the army , simple as that

Mike7788 said:
Sorry I keep posting topics for those following and answering my questions I just have no time to search

From what terrible ailment did your last slave die?

Mike7788 said:
even if I did search "reserves" nothing relevant comes up.

Perhaps some day you will have enough time to look up a second word.

Back