• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

The Reserve Thread- A Merged Collection of Q & A's

There is a quote (somewhat well known) about "stupid and lazy officers".  Look it up, if you have time.  It may foretell your career progression.

Here you go man!
http://lmgtfy.com/?q=site%3Aarmy.ca+reserve+summer+training#

Everything you'll ever need!

Mike7788 said:
I have many friends in the forces who have told me to join the reserves first, instead of full-time, just so I know what i'm getting myself into.

Perhaps your friends, who are so helpful, can also do some research for you.

Mike7788 said:
As a reservist Pilot, would I have to be in post-secondary school to be part-time or on my way to completing a relevant degree? Are sufficient high-school marks(University courses with +65 average okay)?

Pilot is an officer classification. Officers applicants are required to have a degree or be working toward one. being a reserve officer does not absolve an applicant of that expectation. Regardless, you can't join the Reserves as a pilot applicant, see the quote below from Loachman.

site:army.ca pilots in reserves

Reserve Pilot Recruitment

Loachman said:
The Reserve Pilot Training Programme was cancelled in the early nineties. It was a two-year fulltime process, and the courses were all Regular Force ones. HELICOP (HELicopter Industry CO-operation Programme), which replaced it, may still be in existence, but I've not heard anything about that for many years. It was never a rip-roaring success. The last minimum eligibility requirement, of which I was aware, was a commercial helicopter licence and five hundred hours. Other than that, one would have to be a former Regular Force Pilot.

Those grades are unlikely to be competitive for placement as a pilot candidate. We have seen the same question from pilot aspirants wondering ifs their 90 averages are solid enough.

site:army.ca pilot high school grades

Mike7788 said:
If going for infantry or something related that's NCM, will my rank in the reserves carry over to full-time if I decide to take the plunge?

Maybe, depending on such things as time in, qualifications, how badly the Reg F wants you.

site:army.ca component transfer

Mike7788 said:
Is there voluntary training in the summer that lasts most of it's months (Weapons for example for infantry or flying for example Pilot)? Is this training mandatory? Would this training be similar to the training done for officer's (Yes i'm aware not the same but the way it works) who are getting their education paid for by the forces?

There are summer training and courses. Your opportunities will have limited selection for some years, and will seldom be negotiable. If you don't train in the summer early in your career, when many of the courses you will need are offered, you will not advance.

site:army.ca reserve summer training

Mike7788 said:
I would talk to a recruiter but my next days off are limited and I was just there yesterday >.<. Slipped my mind.

Start writing your questions for the recruiter down. Go through them as a checklist. That way you don't forget things.

Use your very limited and valuable time to explore the above links fully. Note the structure of the searches, and refine them as you begin to learn the critical vocabulary for each area of inquiry. Learn not to search only for such general terms as "reserves" or "training." Remember, the personal time of everyone here is valuable to them too, never presume that yours is somehow more valuable.

Note that Reserve officers are encouraged to have a degree,  but it is only mandatory for those enrolled after 31 March 2013, and then only for promotion to the rank of major or above.

Today, again, I made my way to the recruiters in my home town and got some awesome information. I plan to apply for the Seneca College route for Pilot this upcoming school year.

All is well.

What I was planning though was maybe wait a year, try out reserves, and see how I like it as i've always been fond of the work infantry does as well.
When the time came, ask for a CT and go to school if pilot is the way I want to go.

What the recruiters then said was CTs are so backed up that it could take 3-4 years to process and it would ruin all my hope to become a pilot soon.

I guess my question is what would you do?
Have any experience with CTs? Do they really take that long?

I've read they're backed up, and i've also read someone getting it done very quick.

What would you guys say?

Also (sorry I don't see an edit button). The recruiter couldn't really answer me on this.

Would reserving with The Queens Own Infantry in Toronto(The only infantry to have a parachute jump) increase chances of SAR Tech?

Been my dream ever since I was a kid, if not for pilot :)

THANKS

Blackadder1916 said:
There is a quote (somewhat well known) about "stupid and lazy officers".  Look it up, if you have time.  It may foretell your career progression.

"I divide my officers into four classes; the clever, the lazy, the industrious, and the stupid. Each officer possesses at least two of these qualities. Those who are clever and industrious are fitted for the highest staff appointments. Use can be made of those who are stupid and lazy. The man who is clever and lazy however is for the very highest command; he has the temperament and nerves to deal with all situations. But whoever is stupid and industrious is a menace and must be removed immediately!"

General Baron Von Hammersteiner-Equord
Commander-in-Chief
The Reichswehr

8)

Mike7788 said:
Would reserving with The Queens Own Infantry in Toronto(The only infantry to have a parachute jump) increase chances of SAR Tech?

THANKS

Just so you know the unit is called The Queen's Own Rifles of Canada (QOR). Also to clarify their jump tasking, they are the only reserve unit with a jump tasking, all three regular force Infantry Regiments have a battalion with a jump company.  It is also possible to get a basic para course without being part of a unit with the jump tasking, a lot harder but still possible.

Mike7788 said:
Have any experience with CTs?

No, but you can read this Q and A of those who do. If you still have questions, you can post them in that thread.

Component Transfers (Reserve to Regular): Q&A
http://army.ca/forums/threads/12797.0

Mike7788 said:
all my hope to become a pilot soon.
Likewise if you want to be a Pilot, you can read and ask those questions there.

The "So You Want To Be A Pilot" Merged Thread 
http://army.ca/forums/threads/12744.0

Mike7788 said:
chances of SAR Tech?

Same if you want to be a SAR Tech.

SAR Tech 
http://army.ca/forums/threads/199.0

Forget Pilot. You do not want that anywhere nearly enough to stand a chance of success, even if your high school marks were adequate.

If your motivation is insufficient to do your own research here, which requires a fraction of a percent of the effort to earn one's wings, then the best advice that I can offer is "give up".

cryco said:
mm, you're too nice. Let 'em do some work.

The size and scope of the content here can make it a challenge to find things you know have been posted. For someone new that doesn't have a grasp of the applicable vocabulary, an understanding of the different trades, or the complex structure of the CAF, finding things can be a lost cause. This site has enough of a tarnished reputation from members telling newbies to "fuck off and search" and mocking their understanding of the CAF. There are more than enough people here who claim to have vast knowledge and experience that are just too ready to think their time is too valuable to be helpful. Offering a few links, and helping a newbie sort out how to find things isn't being 'too nice," it's being a member of a community. And we've never had too much of that.

Merged both of your (redundant) topics, don't make any more unless they are substantially different from what you have already posted.

HM

This thread rekindles nostalgic memories of the Rainbow Post.

BEFORE YOU POST - READ THIS:
http://forums.navy.ca/forums/threads/82669/post-795111.html#msg795111

Michael O'Leary said:
The size and scope of the content here can make it a challenge to find things you know have been posted. For someone new that doesn't have a grasp of the applicable vocabulary, an understanding of the different trades, or the complex structure of the CAF, finding things can be a lost cause. This site has enough of a tarnished reputation from members telling newbies to "frig off and search" and mocking their understanding of the CAF. There are more than enough people here who claim to have vast knowledge and experience that are just too ready to think their time is too valuable to be helpful. Offering a few links, and helping a newbie sort out how to find things isn't being 'too nice," it's being a member of a community. And we've never had too much of that.

I understand what you're saying, but.... When I first sign up in any forum, I will lurk and read. See at what frequency people post, what kind of topics are brought up. I will try the search function and if it yields tons of unreadable results, I'll google-fu it with the forum name. This isn't rocket science.
Someone wanting to join the military and would like to plan their future, can take some time, do some research.
And I never post to respond f-off nor would I advocate this mentality, I have helped out in the past; but when I said he was too nice, it's because he provided a bunch of links, rather than say one link and some friendly advice. Basically an indirect way of letting OP know that he was helped quite a bit, maybe prompting a thank you for mm.
What's that saying about teaching a man to fish rather than just giving him the fish? And shouldn't today's youth be more adept at this sort of stuff that the older folks?
In the end though, you're the better man today with a compelling argument to stay friendly.

Mike7788 said:
I just have no time to search

My sympathometer pegs at the lower end of the scale when somebody blatantly makes such a feeble excuse, and expects others to spend their valuable time on him instead.

Back