• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

The Reserve Thread- A Merged Collection of Q & A's

I guess some recruiters are different. My recruiter was cool about everything, he didn't make it sound like you're blowing s*** up, jumping out of helicopters or really trying to convince me. Basically to him, if I wanted to come in and join, join. If i didn't, then quit. So i had a pretty good recruiter.

kylereserve1 said:
well, i went in today! basically the recruiter did all the talking, showed me around the unit. had all my questions answered. gave me all the forms and paperwork i need even with a checklist. bring your dad or parent if you want, i did and would suggest it to a minor. i start parading in september and my weekend BMQ in november!

Take those dates with a grain of salt since you haven't done your CFAT, medical, etc. yet.  Something still may hold you up.

kylereserve1 said:
Oh yeah, after you sign all your forms you need to bring it back the following week to your recruiter and he'll sign something for you and you bring it to this place to get your dates for your screening, physical test, etc. and then you start parading to get your feet wet until the next weekend BMQ date.

"This place" being a CFRC.

It's april, i've got until september to do all my tests. I can also probbaly do it in 2 visits rather than the 4 visits he said.

kylereserve1 said:
It's april, i've got until september to do all my tests. I can also probbaly do it in 2 visits rather than the 4 visits he said.

OK dude, realize that whatever you've been told, nothing is a sure thing until you're through that process. You'll still need to pass the CF Aptitude Test, you'll need to pass the interview, you'll need to pass the medical, and you'll need to pass the fitness test. Your background check, reliability screening, credit check and all that will all have to be fine. You cannot show up and start parading/training until that's all done and you're actually formally enrolled into the CF. You have a ways to go yet.

Brihard said:
OK dude, realize that whatever you've been told, nothing is a sure thing until you're through that process. You'll still need to pass the CF Aptitude Test, you'll need to pass the interview, you'll need to pass the medical, and you'll need to pass the fitness test. Your background check, reliability screening, credit check and all that will all have to be fine. You cannot show up and start parading/training until that's all done and you're actually formally enrolled into the CF. You have a ways to go yet.

What he said.  I suggest reading through some of the recruiting threads to see just how long the process can take.

kylereserve1 said:

Perhaps there's a reason why four visits are necessary, no? Perhaps that reason is based upon experience.

Unless you are Superman incarnate, expect four visits.

In the meantime, learn to capitalize and use the spellchecker, please.

Probably*. I don't quite see where all the rudeness came from, or why it was necessary. I'm just speaking upon what i've been told. I'm just here to speak calmly and respectively to people who may or may not know the process. Thanks for your input.

I hardly see where my posts were "rude".  I was just telling you that things may not go as planned and not to get your hopes up.

If you do get through all the testing as quickly as your recruiter (and you) seem to think you will, you might just hold a record here for the fastest time from initial application to enrollment.

I was talking about loachman, not you. I'm not getting my hopes up, again, i'm just going by what i've been told. I understand it will take a while.

kylereserve1 said:
Probably*. I don't quite see where all the rudeness came from, or why it was necessary. I'm just speaking upon what i've been told. I'm just here to speak calmly and respectively to people who may or may not know the process. Thanks for your input.

Think about this.  You're going to eventually have to be processed by a CFRC and maybe one day, become a member of the CF and then maybe one day have to submit a memo or a request through your unit for something that you want or something that you need.

It will be turned away because of spelling errors and or bad grammar, you'll have to redo it and then redo it again before it's ever considered.  So maybe this could be considered a "learning experience"?

I know, but I'm just typing on a forum, I'm not trying to type formal with perfect grammar or anything. Of course when I need to I'm going to type formal with perfect grammar and all when I need to. Anyways, this whole thing isn't about grammer and perfect spelling, it was about the recruiting process.

All members are doing is giving you constructive criticism, tips and advice. If you look at what everyone has said it is only so you can know what to expect and be prepared. The better prepared you are the better you will do so don't take it as anyone being rude. If someone sees something that isn't right they will correct you.

kylereserve1 said:
I know, but I'm just typing on a forum, I'm not trying to type formal with perfect grammar or anything. Of course when I need to I'm going to type formal with perfect grammar and all when I need to. Anyways, this whole thing isn't about grammer and perfect spelling, it was about the recruiting process.

Most people here who answer your questions are in the CF, so we kind of expect it.  It's called "professionalism".  Not that it applies to you but something you can expect later down the road.

Personally, I really don't care what you type or how you type it but if it will help you later on down the road, then it is probably worth mentioning.  So don't take it personally.

Guys guys, I'm not saying anyone was being rude but one person. I respect all your constructive criticism and I sure do appreciate it. The only one I thought was rude was Loachman. I appreciate your advice DAA.

:rofl:
If you thought Loachman was rude, I'd love to see your first meeting with a MCpl on BMQ. 

So untie mommy's apron-strings and hope your testicles drop before you feel a need to post any more along this 'woe is me' line.

[Now that was rude  :nod:  ]

Okay okay, he wasn't rude okay? Of course I expect a MCpl on BMQ to be rude. I personally don't care about rudeness, it was just a comment. What does any of this have to do with what the thread was originally about? I explained already that I appreciate the constructive criticism.

kylereserve1 said:
The only one I thought was rude was Loachman.

I thank you most sincerely for the entertainment that you have graciously provided me, kind Sir. I am equally thankful that you saw fit to bestow upon me the perfect amount, as the slightest portion more would have caused a gastric eruption of the first order of magnitude, thus rendering my keyboard inoperable.

And I said "please" in that post.

Go ahead and type any way that you want on another forum. We have standards here, as we have in the CF that you wish to join. We expect a little more from each other in both places.

Hi, I've been a long time lurker and finally decided to make a thread so I can get some clarification.

I graduated from university (business) and already work in a civilian job and serving in the military as a Reserve is something I thought over for a really long time and decided to make the commitment to my country.

I have read over Canadian Forces main website and the application process but I just wanted to be sure so I was hoping someone here might be able to confirm.

Correct me if I'm wrong but is this how the initial application process works?

1) Contact individual Reserve units to see what officer positions are open
2) Go to the Reserve unit in person and fill out application form

Thank you for your time.

Close but not quite right.

It is recommended that you contact a local Reserve Unit in your area to inquire about possible Officer positions/vacancies and even visit them in person during a parade night.

Whether or not a vacancy exists in an occupation that you are interested in pursuing, you will still need to submit an application to the CF and you do this either "online" at the forces.ca website or a local Reserve Unit will have you complete a papercopy.

Good luck!

Depending on what province you're in you will, indeed need to drop off your completed application at the reserve unit you with to join.  Here in Nova Scotia, CFRC will not accept your application for the reserves.  It must be processed through the unit that is "providing " the position that the applicant is applying for.

When you take in your application make sure that you have all your supporting documentation. High School and University Transcripts.  Must be originals in a sealed envelope.  As well you'll need to Bring in your birth certificate / proof of Canadian Citizenship and Government Issued Photo ID.

Back