• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

The liberated remember

bossi

Army.ca Veteran
Inactive
Reaction score
Belgian convoy ‘wonderful’ way to say thanks
By Sean McGrady, Kingston Whig-Standard
Tuesday, August 06, 2002

Local News - A group of Belgians visiting Kingston had a very Canadian experience yesterday – getting stuck in traffic on Highway 401.
The convoy of 20 Second World War military vehicles, driven by the 41 Belgians who helped restore them, arrived 15 minutes late at CFB Kingston, where the vehicles were displayed as part of a “Thank You, Canada” tour.
The group is touring eastern Ontario and western Quebec to express Belgium’s gratitude for the Canadian Forces’ contribution to liberating the country during the Second World War.
Once they arrived, they were greeted by local politicians, including Mayor Isabel Turner and MPP John Gerretsen, a handful of Second World War veterans and more than 100 people who showed up to view the convoy, comprised of jeeps, a Red Cross ambulance, and military trucks and motorcycles.
“The convoy reminds us of the contributions Canadians made,” Bert Diamond, commander of the Royal Canadian Legion’s zone G-1, said in a ceremony to greet the convoy.
Alfred Lott, a gunner during the Second World War, said the convoy took him back 60 years. “I think it is very impressive,” he said. “A couple of vehicles bring back the memory strong.
“It’s wonderful that they recognize our efforts.”
Gerretsen, too, was impressed. “I’ve been to many parades over the past 20 or 25 years and I can’t remember one where so many impressive individuals … put on a display like this.”
Gerretsen, who was born in the Netherlands told the crowd that the convoy had a special meaning for him.
“I certainly don’t remember personally what happened in the war, but my parents made me very aware,” he said.
“I would like to say Thank You, Belgium, for reminding us in this very unusual way of the sacrifices Canadians made.”
Turner also told the crowd that the convoy represented something special.
“When we look at [the convoy of vehicles] we have to understand it must have been an incredible labour of love,” the mayor said.
That labour of love was one they gladly took up, said Cis Daniel, a member of the Belgian group.
Daniel said the feeling of being liberated – “this thing that invokes joy, laughing and crying” – is not easily put into words.
“Strangers opened those doors of liberation … just because they couldn’t stand the injustice,” she told the crowd. “All I can do is open my heart to you and simply say thank you.”

Back