• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

The journey begins

Well.  When I was in St Jean on Crse, over the winter months, I had a car.  And yes, on weekends it was I who drove everyone into Mtl or down to Vermont or to the Chalet St Luc.  As EIS said, it is all up to you.  If you don't like driving in winter, perhaps it is wisest not to.  Even when you get to St Jean, a bad winter may not really be what you will like to drive in.........if you ever remember some of the news footage of Montreal snow storms.  Then again, it may be a 'mild' winter with little or no snow.   ;D

Just to let you know, it was during that time that I ditched my Dodge Coronet after hitting back ice.  Luckily none of us were injured and once we cleaned the snow out of the engine and got a tow, we continued on to St Jean.  Years later my younger brother hit black ice in nearly the same spot and ditched my Transport.  I heard about that while in Bosnia.

Celticgirl said:
We have to run outside? *gasp*  Is there going to be hot cocoa for us afterwards?  :eek:

No but probably a scalding hot shower will be (or maybe luke warm)  ;D

Celticgirl said:
We have to run outside? *gasp*  Is there going to be hot cocoa for us afterwards:eek:

Sure, if by hot cocoa you mean....minimal time to get up the stairs, cleaned up, dressed, down the STAIRS (candidates are not allowed to use the elevators by the way...hope you get a low floor and a higher Pavillion letter..less travelling to the Recruit mess..if you are in Blue Sector ;D) to breakfast, back up the stairs, have your 'room' all laid out as per the standard, your station jobs done, your personal dress all tickety-boo, have checked over your 'buddy', rechecked his/her kit layout, rechecked your own, whatever else you are tasked to do BEFORE the inspection timing...then yes.  Did I forget something? Oh right...you probably will have kit to put in your Green Locker for the day too(another trip up and down the stairs...you WILL learn to effin hate stairs...I'd bet a months pay).  That..that should about do it.

If you meant THIS...

wc_mexcocoa.jpg

Then the answer would be....NO   :blotto:

I was in St-Jean for 10 weeks without a car. It wasnt a problem, we were CB for 9 of them.

George Wallace said:
Well.  When I was in St Jean on Crse, over the winter months, I had a car.  And yes, on weekends it was I who drove everyone into Mtl or down to Vermont or to the Chalet St Luc.  

Chalet St. Luc? Sounds like a ski resort! Do tell!  :D

NFLD Sapper said:
No but probably a scalding hot shower will be (or maybe luke warm)  ;D

First, no Timmie's runs through the week and now...luke warm showers? Cruel, cruel beasts!  :rage:

Eye In The Sky said:
If you meant THIS...

Then the answer would be....NO   :blotto:

:crybaby:

(I might need my car, after all...;))

CDN Aviator said:
I was in St-Jean for 10 weeks without a car. It wasnt a problem, we were CB for 9 of them.

Wow, who did you piss off?  ;)

You can go skiing in Saint-Bruno (if/when you get a weekend off).  Its about...20-30 minutes east of St-Jean right off the #20 Hwy.  Part of the Topo/Navigation training takes place there , or it did.

http://www.skisite.com/downhillDetail.cfm?id=4986

http://www.montsaintbruno.com/fr/accueil.php

Some people made the trip on the weekends to Mont-Sainte-Anne as well. 

It certainly seems like taking my vehicle to St. Jean is not a good option, as I have never really had a chance to drive in the snow before. It would be way too dangerous for me.

My question, however, is whether car rental is possible in that area. Also, does anyone know how much is a taxi ride to Montreal and other good places?

On another note, I was on my boyfriend's facebook account the other day and I saw pictures of his friend going through BMOQ. There were at least 200+ pictures. She took pictures of many different activies the group did together and she even took pictures with her course staff. I was amazed.

The best part of her course? Besides the graduation, the best part was going shopping, dining out, and having fun together as a group in the city.

Kruggle said:
The best part of her course? Besides the graduation, the best part was going shopping, dining out, and having fun together as a group in the city.

Interesting! I think group outings are good for bonding. We used to do that with our uni students at my last job. Trips to Halifax to see the buskers, skiing at Martock, etc. A good meal and some shopping will do fine, though. ;)

Celticgirl said:
Interesting! I think group outings are good for bonding. We used to do that with our uni students at my last job. Trips to Halifax to see the buskers, skiing at Martock, etc. A good meal and some shopping will do fine, though. ;)

You'll have plenty of outings as a course...

- obstacle course
- course PT
- inspections
- marching marching marching
- Topo Ex
- Field Ex
- Duty platoon weekends
- drill periods
- Bayonet fighting training

:)

Eye In The Sky said:
You'll have plenty of outings as a course...

- obstacle course
- course PT
- inspections
- marching marching marching
- Topo Ex
- Field Ex
- Duty platoon weekends
- drill periods
- Bayonet fighting training

:)

All this in the winter, no less. Oh boy!  ::)

Celticgirl said:
All this in the winter, no less. Oh boy!  ::)

Like I mentioned though...you should *always* look at the bright side of any given situation.  *no bugs*  *no mud*  *no rain (probably)*

In the winter, you are more likely to enjoy that BMB (Between-Meal-Beverage) if you get one.  mmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm!  Army coffee!

All good things, no??

I just wanted to congratulate Celticgirl on her dream finally coming to fruition!  good job!

Also Kruggle, driving through Northern Ontario in the winter is hella brutal.  I'm also looking forward to doing BMOQ in the winter, as the extra layer of clothing will provide that extra little bit of security from the berating ;)

Finally, CDN Aviator makes me laugh, cry, and brings a knowledge and abruptness that makes me totally respect him.

Eye In The Sky said:
Like I mentioned though...you should *always* look at the bright side of any given situation.  *no bugs*  *no mud*  *no rain (probably)*

In the winter, you are more likely to enjoy that BMB (Between-Meal-Beverage) if you get one.  mmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm!  Army coffee!

All good things, no??

Ummm, yes.  ;D

Grando said:
I just wanted to congratulate Celticgirl on her dream finally coming to fruition!  good job!

Thanks, Grando!  8)

Grando said:
Finally, CDN Aviator makes me laugh, cry, and brings a knowledge and abruptness that makes me totally respect him.

Abruptness? Slight understatement there, n'est-ce pas?  ;)

Grando said:

Thanks,

I aim to please  ;D

Please enjoy my abruptness responsibly

Hey Celticgirl!

I just saw that you finally received a job offer, Congratulations!!!  :D 
I know it means much to you,
I wish you success in all your endeavors
Take care

Back