• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

The Integrated Soldier System Project (ISSP)

PuckChaser said:
One thing I'd like to see is the straps on the X harness being a lot longer. I'm 6'1" and 170 lbs and have to have them straps maxed out to wear it. It would be a no-go for anyone wanting to use those straps if they were any larger than I am.

I concur, a coworker of mine is roughly 6'2" i would say but around 280 lbs. We actually had to adjust his shoulder straps to go approx 6-7 inches past where the fabric stops. Otherwise, his chest rig was more of a chest bra.

Matt_Fisher said:
What's the worst issue with donning the rig?  Having to put it over your head each time you put it on/take it off?  Or the way that you have to reach to the  back to fasten the buckle?

With armour and plates, it's not too easy to reach the buckles. It can be done, but it takes a lot of shoulder flexibility it seems like. I'm getting better at it with practice, though. I do use the rig harness vice the the X- harness, because I'm going to use the Camelbak pouch with it. Overall, it's a pretty neat piece of kit. The "command pounch" when mounted up top has pistol mag loops that are really well positioned, I thought it was excellent when I was on the pistol range to do fast mag changes. I found on the jungle lanes that the positioning of mags worked pretty well, but I'll second that the flaps are a bit large and can get caught up.

I haven't seen the alternatives being considered, but I can say I'd take this over a tac vest any day and twice on Sundays.

Does anyone have any pictures of the SORD rig that the CF is using?

Yea, pics of the SORD rig you guys have would be great.  Also,  is the rig only able to be set up like a plate carrier, or can the "bib" portion be folded down and you can wear it as a chest rig?

I will take some pictures of my SORD rig given to Op Attention R1 shortly, I'm still unpacking from Gagetown. Its the MFR Trial Rig "C", haven't found specifically what SORD model it is yet though.

I left mine in Gagetown but might be back there this week on my way to Boston for a long weekend, any specific pictures anyone want? Here's a picture of mine from range day, one of the configurations I've played with so far.

Pictures as promised:

My rig set up, with bib folded down. Left to right: Bayonet, Utility pouch with fastex/velcro, grenade pouch, IFAK with tearaway panel, 30rd mag shingle with 90rd mag pouch on top, 30rd shingle with 90rd on top and multitool pouch on top of that, fold up dump pouch, zipper utilty pouch, 60rd mag pouch (storage currently), smoke grenade pouch (storage currently), PRR pouch on left strap.
imgp0001eb.jpg

Rig with bib folded up, clips onto the straps with a metal button w/loop through a d-ring on each side.
imgp0002mo.jpg

Optional back panel with hydration carrier attached. Hydration straw cover on each shoulder strap.
imgp0003oh.jpg

Assorted pouches that I'm not using. Each rifleman kit comes with 4x 90rd pouch, 4x 60rd pouch, 2x 30rd shingle, 2x utility pouch fastex, 1x utility pouch zippered, 1x IFAK with tearaway, 1x PRR pouch, 1x double grenade pouch, 2x single grenade pouch, 1x smoke grenade pouch, 1x hydration bladder carrier, 1x ETrex pouch, 1x multitool pouch, 1x dump pouch, and back harness.
imgp0004fj.jpg

That's a pretty decent looking chest rig.

Defiantly  reminds me of the HSGI Wasatch I used. I found it fairly front heavy and difficult to put on and off easily.  I countered that by attaching a camelbak to the back of it (not always convenient).
It got considerably better when I wore the plates in my Wasatch and not in my soft armor but I spent the rest of the tour being sneaky about it fearful of being noticed "by the man".  Can the SORD only use a plate in the front? The back doesn't look large enough.

I've seen them priced at $545 at sordaustralia.com for the vest and some pouches(package deals).  Wonder what we'll pay for them.

Happy to see that the bib can be folded down.  If that is the MFR that is picked,  I can already see a mod/private purchase item for the rig.. instead of having the straps go over the back like a X,  would be more comfortable for a H style set up IMO.

Considering the effort it took to don my front entry rig when fully loaded with water and ammo, that thing does not look fun at all.  It was easily doable but after watching some guys wrestle with rigs that didn't split made me shudder.

The back harness has a plate carrier as well. I don't have training plates yet (not gonna ask for them  >:D) so I won't know till I hit theatre if the plates actually fit well in there. The pocket looks fairly flimsy. The dump pouch is basically a nylon bag, nothing fancy and I hope they don't pick it as it will not positively control your mags when they get dumped in there. Something like CPgear's lobster trap design would be better.

As for donning, it took me a while to figure out how to get it on and off easily. Over the head is fine, but taking it off esp. with the frag vest on is dicey. I found out if I lean forward, lift the vest and then uncross the straps over my head, it pops right off over the collar on the vest and doesn't get stuck on the clips from the wings. Haven't had a combat load in it yet, but it sits nicely against the body with the horizontal strap that connects left to right side of the rig on the back, it seems like it would sit under the rear plate, which would prevent the rig from falling forward as the strap would catch on that rear plate pocket. It really needs longer straps for the x-style, it would make it much more manageable to take on and off.

DLR told us the rigs are valued at $550 a piece for the rifleman setup, but I think we should really look at getting pouches from another supplier. The IFAK and shingles are well made, as well as the frag pouches, but there are far better substitutes for everything else, at 40% or more savings.

PuckChaser said:
As for donning, it took me a while to figure out how to get it on and off easily. Over the head is fine, but taking it off esp. with the frag vest on is dicey. I found out if I lean forward, lift the vest and then uncross the straps over my head, it pops right off over the collar on the vest and doesn't get stuck on the clips from the wings. Haven't had a combat load in it yet, but it sits nicely against the body with the horizontal strap that connects left to right side of the rig on the back, it seems like it would sit under the rear plate, which would prevent the rig from falling forward as the strap would catch on that rear plate pocket. It really needs longer straps for the x-style, it would make it much more manageable to take on and off.
Should be fun with 50lbs of kit in it.....

A front opening rig is much easier to get into(one of the reasons why I ditched my chest rig after tour and got a TT 2pc MAV)  On tour I wore the HSGI Warlord Chest Rig, and it was awkward getting into at times when fully loaded, but overtime you get used to it and come up with your own system to don it.

Seems like more and more units are getting this SORD Rig,  any reason as to why?  Also seems like it's only the Patricia Battalions(1st and 3rd, I don't believe 2VP has them at this time) getting the TT 2pc MAV and everyone else is getting the SORD.

I read a piece on an American board that talked about how a chest rig like the TT Mav is better for light infantry when patrolling long distances on foot, mountain ops and extended dismounted use over something like this (Well they used vest type rigs for an example).  Figure there is any truth in that?

The training plates fit perfectly. I had them in there before I got a frag vest issued to start getting familiar with the weight. No issue at all.

PuckChaser said:
The back harness has a plate carrier as well. I don't have training plates yet (not gonna ask for them  >:D) so I won't know till I hit theatre if the plates actually fit well in there. The pocket looks fairly flimsy. The dump pouch is basically a nylon bag, nothing fancy and I hope they don't pick it as it will not positively control your mags when they get dumped in there. Something like CPgear's lobster trap design would be better.

DLR told us the rigs are valued at $550 a piece for the rifleman setup, but I think we should really look at getting pouches from another supplier. The IFAK and shingles are well made, as well as the frag pouches, but there are far better substitutes for everything else, at 40% or more savings.

Grimaldus said:
I read a piece on an American board that talked about how a chest rig like the TT Mav is better for light infantry when patrolling long distances on foot, mountain ops and extended dismounted use over something like this (Well they used vest type rigs for an example).  Figure there is any truth in that?
From what I can tell, other than the front bib and the lack of splitting in the front (both of which can be had, or not had respectively, with the TT MAV) this is basically the same type of rig as the MAV.

-Skeletor- said:
A front opening rig is much easier to get into(one of the reasons why I ditched my chest rig after tour and got a TT 2pc MAV)  On tour I wore the HSGI Warlord Chest Rig, and it was awkward getting into at times when fully loaded, but overtime you get used to it and come up with your own system to don it.

Seems like more and more units are getting this SORD Rig,  any reason as to why?  Also seems like it's only the Patricia Battalions(1st and 3rd, I don't believe 2VP has them at this time) getting the TT 2pc MAV and everyone else is getting the SORD.

I would assume that these are trials. We were told that we would be doing some type of debrief with the pros and cons of the SORD Harness mid tour. If theres any truth to that I have no idea.

-Skeletor- said:

Might be a 1CMBG thing? I know Z Bty has also gotten the TT MAV's with the goody bag of pouches, also saw a couple guys at 2VP using them last time I was in the field.

Bump with the latest Backgrounder on the Integrated Soldier System Project (see attached if link doesn't work)
.... The Integrated Soldier System Project (ISSP) will provide the soldier with an integrated suite of equipment that includes weapon accessories, electronic devices, sensors, individual equipment and operational clothing. This soldier system will significantly increase soldier performance, as soldiers and low-level command centres will seamlessly share data and voice communications through a network.

(....)

During the 2012-2020 timeframe, the ISSP will acquire cutting-edge equipment aimed at significantly enhancing Canadian dismounted soldier capabilities.

This capability is being procured for use by the Canadian Army, in particular the close combat soldiers of operational Task Forces, including infantry, artillery forward observers, engineers, and combat support soldiers.

A Request for Proposals (RFP) was released to industry on February 13, 2012, and closed on June 11, 2012. The RFP is to acquire up to 6,624 integrated suites of cutting-edge equipment under the ISSP over four years. The RFP includes a requirement for up to 11 years of associated in-service support. A contract award is anticipated in 2013 and initial deliveries are expected in 2015.

Back