• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

The General Hillier Years. The Merged Superthread

SeaKing - and Ex-Dragoon,

I am not saying the Navy and AirForce are has been trades - what I am saying is that the Griffon (thought it sucks) still flies and the Navy still floats - the Army is about to rust apart.

Or are the other elements just as badly off?

KevinB-

Things are not great in the Air Force and Navy.  

The Air Force is having some pretty serious issues with C-130, CP-140 and Sea King availability.   IMHO, alot of it comes down to a shortage of national procurement funds to buy spare parts.   In some cases, spare parts just don't exist anymore.   The Aurora is undergoing a very complicated, multi-phase upgrade that keeps taking aircraft off of the flight line. The Cormorant has tail rotor issues that were discovered by the RN. This puts pressure on the Sea King fleet to pick up SAR standby when there aren't enough Cormorants.   The Yearly Flying Rate for most fleets has continually been cut, which impacts both force generation and force employment. A few years ago, I was told by some 408 Sqn pilots that they were only getting enough flying hours a year to stay current, which meant next to no support was available for the Army.   There are not enough qualified technicians Air Force-wide, as the effects of FRP from the mid-90s are now being fully felt.

As for the Navy, again, there does not appear to be enough spare parts as ships in refit get robbed continually to provide for ships at sea.   Sea days are down (fuel budget...).   The tankers are really old and in bad shape.   The 280s are not much better.   The effect of cutting the fleet maintenance facilities in the 1990s (to save money) means that maintenance is backlogged.   Some Sea trades are very short of personnel and jump constantly from ship to ship.

It is the usual "too many taskings for the budget assigned story"...

In an earlier post you lamented that you (and by extension the entire Army) did not feel well supported by the Air Force both in terms of helo lift and Hercs.   I could not agree more- BUT, it is not because we don't want to provide support.   Most often, it comes down to a complete lack of resources...   sorry.

Why do you think the Air Force and Navy get so defensive when this issue comes up?

Things are really that bad...?

Slim

It is not the end of the world, but things are not all sunshine and happiness in the Navy and Air Force (at least the parts of both that I am regularily exposed to...)

Things are that bad.....

Put we should not try and pin all our hopes on one man.  He may bring the prospect of change for the better but that is yet to be proven.  Only time and a bigger budget will tell.

I am willing to admit lack of knowledge in the AirForce and Navy spectrum.

I guess you guys just suck it up better than us  ;D

I am willing to admit lack of knowledge in the AirForce and Navy spectrum.

I guess you guys just suck it up better than us  

Not really.   This is "Army.ca", not "my life in the Navy/Air Force sucks.ca"

I do most of my complaining elsewhere... :)

There's always the easy way to increase CF size and budget, conscription and compulsory military service to bolster our personnel size and turnover problems.  Also the government could try to create a coalition of CANADIAN companies whose purpose is to do R&D, manufacturing (shipyard facilities, ammunition factories, aircraft manufacturers), financing, etc. largely for the military but also involved with civilians, as to provide the needed services for the CF and provide the needed jobs for both military and civilian personnels, just like with the US military and companies like Northrop Grumman who have already provided them with nice "toys".

That's my 2 pennies.  What do you guys think?  Is this a possibility for our country?  If not, what did I miss?

P.S.  Anyone know where I can get a map of Canada with current CF bases?  The reason I'm asking is that a few people in my unit, myself included, are trying to "restructure" Canada to have as few bases as possible but still able to provide defense for our border.  it's a game for us in my unit.

conscription and compulsory military service

Two political non-starters in this country, unless we are in the last ditch of WWIII.

P.S.  Anyone know where I can get a map of Canada with current CF bases?  The reason I'm asking is that a few people in my unit, myself included, are trying to "restructure" Canada to have as few bases as possible but still able to provide defense for our border.  it's a game for us in my unit.

Actually, the CF doesn't defend our "border" since it is with the US and is undefended by treaty. That is the job of Customs and the Coast Guard. Since our country is so huge and our military is so tiny, it's really difficult to establish where bases should be located: you could start by analyzing the likely axes of approach into Canada, but what about forces projected in by air? Cheers.

I have to agree with PBI

No conscription that would be a bad thing.  But what about Regulated Reserves.  Where If you are unemployed or ages 18-30 you could be placed in to the reserve forces.  No Welfare and they would be working and being paid.  That way u have a job but can still look for a different one.  Plus you get the benefits of training.  Something along the way of the Israelis methods of doing things.

No Welfare and they would be working and being paid.   That way u have a job but can still look for a different one.   Plus you get the benefits of training.   Something along the way of the Israelis methods of doing things.

Would never fly in Canada. Workfare in Ontario almost caused riots in the streets. Canada is too left-wing/middle of the road for this... we'd have Charter challenges up the bum.

Meridian said:
Would never fly in Canada. Workfare in Ontario almost caused riots in the streets. Canada is too left-wing/middle of the road for this... we'd have Charter challenges up the bum.

Imagine that, providing taxpayers with a service while collecting taxpayer handouts.

Matthew.     ::)

Heaven forbid you would have to work for your money.  Shame on you.

back on topic

Budget should be comming out soon so i hope our man in charge is stirring the pot with a big spoon.

No conscription that would be a bad thing.   But what about Regulated Reserves.   Where If you are unemployed or ages 18-30 you could be placed in to the reserve forces.   No Welfare and they would be working and being paid.   That way u have a job but can still look for a different one.   Plus you get the benefits of training.   Something along the way of the Israelis methods of doing things.

I have no desire to lead or work with a group of people who are not in the military by choice.   It is just not a good idea, particularily in our rights based society and is far more trouble than it is worth.

I suspect that compulsory service works (sort of) for the Israelis because their threat is pretty evident.   What, exactly, would we hold up to the Canadian public as the equivalent threat to our society?

My view is, that it is actually immoral to compel someone to take up arms.   If a society cannot convince enough of it's citzens to voluntarily put themselves under arms to defend itself, either the argument was weak to begin with or the society in question has just run it's course...

Well put.  Not to mention that there are enough CF members who have no idea what they signed up for as it is and are questionable when the need arises and the shit is about to hit the fan.

SeaKingTacco said:
My view is, that it is actually immoral to compel someone to take up arms.   If a society cannot convince enough of it's citzens to voluntarily put themselves under arms to defend itself, either the argument was weak to begin with or the society in question has just run it's course...

Now with our Present Liberal Governments of the last two decades.....this doesn't paint to very rosy a picture of Canadian society......have we run our course like Ancient Rome, but without the glory, and are now in a state of collapse?

GW

i hope not.  i feel that Canada still has a part to play in the world stage.  ok, so the conscription/compulsory service is not a good idea in peace but what about my second idea of the govt forming a group of canadian companies largely dedicated to providing the wants and needs of the CF?  What are your thoughts on that one?

Actually, on that subject; does the US not use a "quasi civilian" company, MATS, to fly a lot of its troops and equipment around the world?

GW

Back