• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

The General Hillier Years. The Merged Superthread

But TB is an administrative group. They do not set budget policy - Finance does that.  Plus the Finance Minister usually co-chairs the Treasury Board.

And as if I forgot the final step, once the PM doesnt veto it, the budget has to be accepted in the House. :)

And as if I forgot the final step, once the PM doesnt veto it, the budget has to be accepted in the House.

Little wonder we forgot it.  The PM and the PMO and the PCO and everybody else also forget it.  Or is that assume it?

Minority government= more money for the CF?

This would be the Conservatives chance to show they were serious about beefing up the CF and to hold the Liberals to their promises.

Just read this article in the Winnipeg Free Press very interesting.
http://www.winnipegfreepress.com/westview/story/2517726p-2917067c.html

No, for a minority government, there are much more politically-charged items to push for (same sex marraige is the current one, the Gomery inquiry).

The Conservatives arent interested in pushing an agenda right now save for them gaining points for the next election. it is the NDP that wants to push their own agenda, but they dont give a --- about the CF.

Also, a friend of mine is a PR person for a minister here in ottawa, was saying the other day that the Conservative caucus is quite split right now...  it never has really been unified, and many people disagree with the leadership, but have nowhere else to go but independant.... 

I fear that Conservative comments to up the forces are simply a pandering to a 100 thousand or so voters (Regf+Res+familites)

It would be nice if it all comes true.  I think we are a long way from that happening though.

Actually I don't like the shopping list.

The Theatre Support Vessel is trying to be to the US Navy what the C-130 is to the Airforce.  A local runabout for delivering small bodies (units and subunits) rapidly to unprepared locations.

RoRos might work but they would need to be modified if they were to supply maintenance and support as well as CC facilities. RoRos >20,000 tonnes would nicely supplement the planned joint capabilities of the JSS. 

JSS would work well, as a concept combining ice capability, AOR replacement, Joint CC and support to helo ops as well as a disembarkable coy tm with kit.  Great for Arctic Sovereignty, fleet support at sea and Joint support in theatre... Lousy transport concept.  Still splitting JSS into two or even three configurations is not a bad idea.

Aircraft?  C17 or nothing.

the JSS the way it is would be a real attractive target and would be a huge loss if one was destroyed or damaged because it is to valuable to an operation.  Splitting it up would make way more sense.  So expect to see the original JSS soon.

http://www.ctv.ca/servlet/ArticleNews/story/CTVNews/1107545134164_102954334/?hub=TopStories#
Well, its finally official. Always nice to see a man in green with 4 maple leaves on his shoulder.

Here's another take on Hillier's inaugural speech
http://www.mytelus.com/news/article.do?pageID=canada_home&articleID=1836755

canada news 
Friday, Feb 04, 2005

New defence chief calls for more money for military

OTTAWA (CP) - Canada's new top soldier used his inaugural speech Friday to criticize the Liberal government for not spending enough on the military.
"In this country, we could probably not give enough resources to the men and women to do all the things that we ask them to do," Gen. Rick Hillier said at a full military ceremony, as the prime minister and the defence minister looked on. "But we can give them too little, and that is what we are now doing," the new chief of defence staff said. "Remember them in your budgets."

The federal budget is to be handed down Feb. 23.

Defence Minister Bill Graham cancelled a scheduled news conference with Hillier that was follow the speech. A spokesperson for Graham denied that it had anything to do with comments made by Hillier, saying the minister had to catch a plane.

Hillier, 49, was born in Newfoundland and Labrador, and has spent years overseas on peacekeeping missions. He also led the NATO mission in Afghanistan last year.

In Canada, he commanded the military contingent sent to help in the aftermath of the 1998 ice storms in Ontario and Quebec.

Hillier replaced Gen. Ray Henault, who has been named to NATO's top military post in Brussels

Graham's disappearance is interesting.  Was it a scheduling oversight and he and the PM were fully informed of the content of the speech?

Or does Hillier just know when to pick a fight?

The timing is brilliant if so, with the budget coming up and it being his first day on the job.  After having been praised to high heaven by the Minister and the PM can they turn around and fire him his first day on the job.

This is getting more and more fascinating.

No doubt the politician's were a tad unhappy with the speech and are plotting Hillier's retirement. Of course they may have approved the speech as a trial balloon to see what the public thinks.

Wow, that didn't take long at all. No sooner than he is promoted to General and appointed CDS, Gen. Hillier made a public call for more funding.

http://www.ctv.ca/servlet/ArticleNews/story/CTVNews/1107545134164_102954334?hub=Canada

Hillier calls for more money for the military

CTV.ca News Staff

In his inaugural speech as Canada's new chief of defence staff, Gen. Rick Hillier urged the Liberal government to remember the military when it brings down the federal budget.

With Prime Minister Paul Martin and Defence Minister Bill Graham looking on, Hillier said the government gives men and women in the military "too little" when it comes to resources.

"In this country, we could probably not give enough resources to the men and women to do all the things that we ask them to do," Hillier said.

"But we can give them too little, and that is what we are now doing," the new chief of defence staff said.

"Remember them in your budgets," he said at a full military ceremony Friday attended by Governor-General Adrienne Clarkson and Gen. Ray Henault, the departing chief of defence staff.

The federal budget comes down on Feb. 23.

In addition to boosting resources, Hillier has made expanding the Canadian Forces a priority.

"Based on success in those two things, we've got to transform the force to be more relevant, more responsive and more valuable to Canada and Canadians," he said.

At a news conference following the military ceremony marking his change to chief of the defence staff, Hillier said he's "simply articulating what the government needs to understand."

When his promotion was announced in January, Hillier was described by Graham as taking over "at a very important time for the Canadian Forces."

Henault, who has been named NATO's top commander, said he has "complete confidence" in Hillier's ability to get the job done.

"I congratulate him on his appointment and will hand over to him with the full knowledge that he will lead the Canadian Forces through the transformation process required to maintain its relevance, responsiveness and effectiveness well into the future."

Hillier, who is 49, is a native Newfoundlander, who was chosen over two other serious contenders: Vice-Adm. Greg Maddison, the deputy chief of defence staff, and Vice-Adm. Ron Buck, the vice-chief of defence staff.

Hillier graduated from Memorial University in Newfoundland in 1975 with a Bachelor of Science degree.

He went through armour officer classification training before being posted to the 8th Canadian Hussars (Princess Louise's) in Petawawa, Ont.

Besides having a wealth of operational experience, Hillier has also worked as a staff officer in both army headquarters in Montreal and at National Defence headquarters in Ottawa.

In 1998, he served as Canadian Deputy Commanding General of III Armoured Corps, U.S. Army, in Fort Hood, Texas.

He was commander of the Multinational Division (southwest) in Bosnia.

An ability to make fun of himself is evident in Hillier's Web-based biography, where he says he "runs slowly, plays hockey poorly and golfs not well at all."

With files from The Canadian Press

Politician or not, at least he speaks his mind. He said something that needed to be said.

True and we'll see how long until he gets out or tows the party line.  All though he's pushing for the MGS and helped to get rid of Pioneers and Mortars I give him props for speaking the obvious in a public forum.

As simple as it sounds it's nice to hear someone with some actual weight (as opposed to us lot ;D ) say the obvious words, and that's a start compared to the usual rhetoric of anyone who's first concern is career, I'd say it's somewhat refreshing, but...don't hold your lungs tight for it might turn out in a ditch.

Che said:
As simple as it sounds it's nice to hear someone with some actual weight (as opposed to us lot ;D ) say the obvious words, and that's a start compared to the usual rhetoric of anyone who's first concern is career, I'd say it's somewhat refreshing, but...don't hold your lungs tight for it might turn out in a ditch.

No doubt about it!

He probably hasn't negotiated for his salary yet...When he does they will make sure that he never makes a speech asking for more money and fully understands the consequenses of what happens to him if he does.

The Liberals are a rather spitefull bunch with long memory.

Slim

CFL said:
True and we'll see how long until he gets out or tows the party line. All though he's pushing for the MGS and helped to get rid of Pioneers and Mortars I give him props for speaking the obvious in a public forum.

Slim said:
He probably hasn't negotiated for his salary yet...When he does they will make sure that he never makes a speech asking for more money and fully understands the consequenses of what happens to him if he does.

The Liberals are a rather spitefull bunch with long memory.

Slim

I don't know if I'd be too cynical yet.   Why would he "tow the party line" or "butter up for a better contract"?  

General Hillier doesn't need to butter up to anyone - he is the CDS, he has reached the highest professional role that a military officer can fulfill.   What does he have to butter up for - a cushy Senate seat?   Sure the government can choose to relieve him of command if they wanted a political hack and didn't get one (I don't think this was what they were looking for), but that would be a big political boo-boo for the government to relieve its top military officer right after his appointment because he spoke a well-known truth.

As for the pay negotiations, why would he need to kow-tow the political line in order to negotiate a plum deal?   As a Lt. General, he's was already earning a good salary - I certainly can't see them dropping him below what he was making at a junior rank.   As well, with 30 years in, he has earned a very good pension - I don't think that a cranky government can hold his financial stability for ransom.   Again, I am going to give General Hillier the benefit of the doubt and assume that his professionalism will put him above trying to squeeze an extra 10 or 20 thousand bucks out of the Treasury Board.

Bottom line is, he has started out on the right foot by doing what he should and telling it straight.   To me, it appears that the CF has the fortune to have a very capable and determined CDS in command right now, someone with similar talents to Jadex (General Dextraze, arguably our best CDS who in the mid-70's single handedly sustained our Armoured capability despite Trudeau's opposition in a period of organizational chaos following civilianization of NDHQ).   Like Jadex, General Hillier seems to be able to work with the politicians - do you think the government would have appointed him over the head of others if they didn't want what he had to offer as CDS?  

I think that the true challenge for him will be to represent us all in an effort to change the attitudes and outlooks of the established bureaucracy and civil service - both in the DND and the other Departments.   As Rusty Old Joint has pointed out before, the rest of Ottawa has a serious lack of appreciation for the military, and tackling relations with this segment of the government is vital if the military is to gain any clout as a essential professional organization in the eyes of the Rideau elite.

Give 'em hell sir.   :salute:

Back