• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

The FN C1 - Service Rifle of the Past (and C7A1 vs FN C1A1)

How you guys liking the C7? Does anyone remember the good 'ol FN?

NUTTS said:
How you guys liking the C7? Does anyone remember the good 'ol FN?

That's odd,  from your previous profile you stated that you joined in the '89.  The fist Battallion was already fully integrated with the C7 by then.  You would have used that your whole career.

Then again, I am willing to stand corrected. 

I served overseas with 1RCR in '94, I may know you, I was in Charles.

dileas

tess

Overwatch Downunder said:
A sad note.... between Nov and Dec 2004, 27,500 of the 30,000 Australia L1A1 SLR rifles in war stock (the Aussie version of the C1A1) were destroyed by smelt. They have kept 2,500 for heritage and other reasons.

I bet the Cdn government if it has not discreetly done this already, will be doing it to their warstocks of the C1A1 rifle.

Cheers,

Wes

This post addresses precisely a question I was looking to have answered, and not surprisingly, my search led me to this website. Certainly the best forum on all things related to the Canadian military.

I've read through this entire topic looking for an answer, but unfortunately couldn't find anything.

To my question; I know that many examples of the FN variants used by Canada were put into war stocks. I also believe that some were put up for sale to individuals at a later date. Are there still a significant number in war stocks?

Thank you

Rodders said:
To my question; I know that many examples of the FN variants used by Canada were put into war stocks. I also believe that some were put up for sale to individuals at a later date. Are there still a significant number in war stocks?

Thank you

Most were left to rot and rust in warehouses. Eventually to be destroyed, just a few years ago. Some, very few, were sent to museums and the like. Being designated a class 12(5) prohibited firearm by the liebral hoplophobes, I doubt if any were sold to private individuals. None went as war stock, IIRC.

recceguy said:
Most were left to rot and rust in warehouses. Eventually to be destroyed, just a few years ago. Some, very few, were sent to museums and the like. Being designated a class 12(5) prohibited firearm by the liebral hoplophobes, I doubt if any were sold to private individuals. None went as war stock, IIRC.

Thanks for the reply recceguy.

Certainly not challenging your information. The reason I asked is I had a friend who served with the RCHA in Shilo in the mid to late 80's, and I seem to recall him saying something about boxing up greased FN's when the C7's were introduced. I may be mistaken, or he may have been lying.  :)

Thanks

Mate, your friend is probably telling you the truth to some degree. Here all SLR's (L1A1's and AR's (L2's) were placed into LTS with a dip in hot 'thickso' cosmoline, so it would run into everything, gooing it up.

I used to onw a Cdn CAL 8L C1A1 rifle, which yes was in private hands (mine), and was marked OPP (and crudly X'd out) on the lower, near the CFR. The rifle also had UK BNP proofs on the bbl, this means the rifles had left Canada for the UK, been proofed by the English and resold back into Canada. I purchased the rifle from an Ontario based company in about 1987 for $750, and sold it to a fellow army.ca member upon my departure to Australia in 1994.

To the best of my knowledge there is only a small number of the 8L C1A1 rifles in private hands, and again to the best of my knowledge no genuine CAL pre 8L (0L-7L) rifles privately owned.

Hope this info helps

OWDU

Rodders said:
Thanks for the reply recceguy.

Certainly not challenging your information. The reason I asked is I had a friend who served with the RCHA in Shilo in the mid to late 80's, and I seem to recall him saying something about boxing up greased FN's when the C7's were introduced. I may be mistaken, or he may have been lying.  :)

Thanks

No he was probably right. However, they were neglegted in storage and ruined. The decision was made to chop and melt them.

For some reason  1 R NFLD R has about half a dozen of them in their wpns vault....they appeared to still be serviceable....

Wow, this thread makes me feel young again!

I am 37 and going into BMQ in July for LCIS. I was in army cadets over 20 years ago in Chatham Ontario. The weapons we fired were the FNC1A1 (semi-auto) while we were at bases on weekends and summer courses. I couldn't remember if Ipperwash had a firing range??? Here at chatham, our Armouries were at the old "castle" type buildings and we also would shoot the old Lee Enfield (is that right?) 22's in the "basement" target ranges. I remember working the "Butts" at the different bases we went to and thought that was too cool!

As I was leaving Cadets, I remember seeing the C7's just starting to come in. Well my brother is a Cadet instructor and he says that the Cadets only use air-rifles now, and the old "castle" Armouries are no longer used by the CF and neither is Ipperwash as a base. Boy how times have changed!

NFLD Sapper said:
For some reason  1 R NFLD R has about half a dozen of them in their wpns vault....they appeared to still be serviceable....

Probably for use with the .22 cal insert.

Just a reasonable guess.

Thanks Overwatch Downunder and recceguy. I appreciate the clarification.

Seems a pity they let these rifles deteriorate. I've never fired one, and I know there are mixed views here, but it is my understanding that it was a fine rifle.

Hypothetically of course, but I wonder how well they would have suited the Rangers. It's all a moot point now however.

Thanks again

recceguy said:
Probably for use with the .22 cal insert.

Just a reasonable guess.

They were used a lot with the sub cal when the range that was just 10 steps from the lockup was in use. That range was also used for firing the 6.5mm Carl G gallery round. The range was closed down when there were concerns about lead levels. I don't know if the cine target range out back of the drill hall is still in use. I suppose the FATS in the old Canex snack bar gets more use now.

Lead poisoning. Cool something else the wife can sue DND and VAC for after I kick off. Between that the cam sticks, mess tins, and the second hand smoke from the CO's O groups she should get a nice packet.

I wonder if one of those FNs is the special Pl Comd "shoots around corners" after he laid it down in behind the MLVW one?  ;D

Danjanou said:
Lead poisoning. Cool something else the wife can sue DND and VAC for after I kick off. Between that the cam sticks, mess tins, and the second hand smoke from the CO's O groups she should get a nice packet.

Add to that asbestos, the basement was full of it.  ;D

kkwd said:
Add to that asbestos, the basement was full of it.  ;D

Only if it was friable;)  Geez, some places still have those ugly green 12 x 12 tiles that are made of asbestos.  ::)

Danjanou said:

I wonder if one of those FNs is the special Pl Comd "shoots around corners" after he laid it down in behind the MLVW one?  ;D

Negative on the last part there Danjanou.......

Too bad about what RecceGuy said about them all being melted down.

I wanted them to go up against the newer battle rifles like the AR10, SR25, M14, and HK417 9among others) in the test to identify the best section sharpshooter weapon.

We still have some in our lines that could technically take part in the trial but any hope of the winner being a "free" procurement is now gone.

Nothing is "Free".  Bringing any weapon system into service (whether purchased or brought out of retirement) means a need for tools for techs, parts, ammo... the initial procurement cost is often the least of the worries, it's the O&M (and NP) tail that gets you.

Plus you'd have to bring all us old farts back to teach you how to get FN cheek, eh KK  8)

Back