• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

"The Devil's Brigade" Reality Series on History Channel

If you haven't seen the 1968 movie "The Devils' Brigade", starring William Holden,  rent it if can find it. Although not totally accurate it is extremely entertaining. Here is a quote from the movie:

Today I had the pleasure of interrogating some German prisoners....and they said some flattering things about us... *gangsters!* *murderers!* *savages!*... but the most flattering and memorial compliment came from their commanding officer... and he referred to us as *Die Teufel's Brigäde* members of The Devils Brigade.... long life... [toast] To the Devil!!!

ex-Sup said:
Most of the US were reg force personnel, some even SF. I didn't see any Canadians who were reg force. All were reservists
If you go through the participants' units, you'll see the Americans are National Guard or training cadre. (I'm not sure about the Rangers, since I didn't think there were any NG Rangers [eg - one guy is listed as 2nd Bn, 75 Ranger Regt, Los Angeles - - yet the 2nd Bn is in Ft Lewis Washington]). But there doesn't appear to be a conspiracy to stack the teams

Now, about the kid who quit because the close combat training was "too intense"....  ::)

pipesnake said:
I watched it. I was a little bit disappointed. There were no regular force Canadians. In no way do I mean to infer that reserve soldiers are lesser in some way but it seems just a little odd to pit someone whose job as a soldier is part time with seasoned full time American SF soldiers.

Exactly my point.

I was a reservist for two years and I don't think I came anywhere close to being on the same plane as SF soldier (except for the time that some US National Guard? mistook our green berets for...you get the point).

I'm long out of the loop, would there be any operational  reason why Cdn reg force were not there, or did no one volunteer or was no one asked?

I've done a lot of martial arts training in my life and that certainly was not intense. It also certainly is not cool to poke someone in the eye in any form of martial arts training as that can result in serious injury. If he had done that to me I would have given him the opportunity to see just how good his "Defendo" is.

pipesnake said:
I've done a lot of martial arts training in my life and that certainly was not intense. It also certainly is not cool to poke someone in the eye in any form of martial arts training as that can result in serious injury. If he had done that to me I would have given him the opportunity to see just how good his "Defendo" is.

You missed his whole point he wasn't there to be "cool" his whole thing is maim and destroy.

fbr2o75 said:
You missed his whole point he wasn't there to be "cool" his whole thing is maim and destroy.

It's a figure of speach. You don't maim and destroy your own troops. Not if you want an effective fighting force. Intense training often results in injury but it should not be from a poke in the eye by your own instructor. What's the point of that? The guy could have been permanently injured for a TV show.

The point is, he was training the guys the same way the original members were trained -- except that these guys weren/t using real knives.  Or maybe you weren't listening to the comentary by the former members to catch all that.

It also seemed that the training was not very intense.

Try doing all that training wearing wool and using (what can be considered in our day and age) sub-standard equipment.  Then come back with your view.

pipesnake said:
I watched it. I was a little bit disappointed. There were no regular force Canadians. It also seemed that the training was not very intense.
http://www.amazon.ca/Black-Devil-Brigade-Joseph-Springer/dp/1596872187/sr=1-1/qid=1162998594/ref=sr_1_1/702-4216974-3780059?ie=UTF8&s=books

I found it interesting. I have no infantry background, however I would think that they did more physical training then just what we saw. Don't forget they have to edit for tv and to make it interesting to the viewer, some of it would be painfully boring. As well, it's too easy to sit back and be an armchair quarterback. I just hope they do justice to the original guys themselves. Regs or reserves, who cares, I say good on them and I am looking forward to the rest of it.

potato

Strike said:
The point is, he was training the guys the same way the original members were trained -- except that these guys weren/t using real knives.  Or maybe you weren't listening to the comentary by the former members to catch all that.

Try doing all that training wearing wool and using (what can be considered in our day and age) sub-standard equipment.  Then come back with your view.

Sure he was training them the original way. I'm sure a lot of those old timers have the detached retinas to show for it. Give you head a shake sir. As well perhaps you haven't read the book I was referring to? They did 40 plus mile forced marches. What did they do last night? Nineteen km's if I recall. Not exactly the 40 miles the guys did in 42 is it? That's what I mean by not as intense.

Don't forget they have to edit for tv and to make it interesting to the viewer, some of it would be painfully boring. As well, it's too easy to sit back and be an armchair quarterback.

Exactly my point.  Thanks Spud. 

Give you head a shake sir.

By the way pipesnake, when you answer the phone at work, you're one of the ones that says,"How can I help you, sir?" aren't you.  Maybe you should stop doing that.  It could get you in trouble one of these days.  And could those italics be any more sarcastic?  Maybe you should set them in bold next time.

Pipe you're in a world of hurt....

Give your head a shake sir..... *giggles loudly* yup thats rigth Strike shake you head *cough* actulay I like when my piolts heads moves left and right means there doing a good look at the land to get me to the LZ as covered from view as possible, so Strike keep shaking that head  ;D

Actually I haven't called anyone sir since I left the army. Brings back bad memories of having to feign respect for people I had no respect for.

Wow guess that whole qoute what you justsaid by Strike wasn't you..... Ahh well either way Show is good, I'll keep watching it and enjoying it

pipesnake said:
Actually I haven't called anyone sir since I left the army. Brings back bad memories of having to feign respect for people I had no respect for.

Skirting the line of "now your just being rude baby"..............................perhaps if you are no longer in, your profile should say "former 2 RCR" in the unit description.

potato

http://www.history.ca/microsites/devilsbrigade/default.aspx

Reality TV show on the History Channel that puts CF Army Reserve soldiers and US Army soldiers through WW2 Devil's Brigade trg.  There are two of the episodes on tonight.

Garett,

????

We cleared that one up in the first two posts.

Strike, thanks for clearing that up, for a moment I thought this was going to be the thread that never ends by starting over and over again. LOL

The show was ok, but hands down, I'd rather spend the time watching the movie "Cockleshell Heroes" (which has an extra treat for me as my granpa was the movie's technical consultant when it was produced in the 50s).  As my granpa used to say, "Nothing motivates you to get your arse down that 40 mile meander than a megolmaniac called Hitler!" 

spud said:
Skirting the line of "now your just being rude baby

OK perhaps you are right and that is somewhat rude and if so I apologize. It may be that I get my back up a little when an Airforce Captain infers that, essentially my opinion is not based on some form of foreknowledge.

"Try doing all that training wearing wool and using (what can be considered in our day and age) sub-standard equipment.  Then come back with your view."

Aside from actually passing TQ3 and serving in an infantry regiment, I was also on the Canadian NECIC team. That means that for a period of approximately 8 months, probably comparable to the length of time 1 SSF was in Montana, I ran, forced marched, etc. any where from 5 to 20 miles a day. This is not to mention other extremely gruelling physical punishment they put us through that I will not go into detail here. Suffice to say of the dozens that tried out I was one of the final 8 that represented Canada and competed in Germany against other NATO countries. Although we came in 3rd to the English and also Dutch Royal Marine Commandos we were actually more fit than either and lost for other reasons.

In other words I am basing my opinion regarding the show not only on a the book that I read but on my own experiences.

Back