• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

The C7 Assault Rifle, M16, & AR15 family (C7A1, C7A2, C7 replacment, and C7 vs M16)

KevinB:

I happened to be perusing the new(to me) diemaco website, they seem to have a number of new gucci projects in the workings.

Seeing as the threads are now merged, can you give some insights as to the more widespread fielding of the new small arms and attachments throughout the forces? As far as opsec would allow anyways, to pre-empt the next "when do i get issued a C8CT" thread

Operational units deployed have almost 100% C7A2 conversion.

Fairly shortly the rest of the three reg force Brigades will all be C7A2.

Now in 031 units the rilfe platoon are allocated 12-16 C8SFW uppers as well - these are dropped on and the C7A2 upper tossed in the trash (j/k stores holds them).  Furthermore their are a number of C8A1 available as well and these are intergrtaed into the mix I know for B Coy 1VP in Kabul nearly all the C7A2 have been replaced with either SFW uppers or C8A1's.

C9A2's: Now I have heard that there are very limited # of these conversions kits - it is a bbl and butstock conversion and new feedcover.  Unfortunateky in most 031 units the basic gun is beat to rat Sh*t and shoudl be replaced with a new one from WarStock - this is not happening yet - and we had a troop shot in the hsot due to a defective gun that was simply worn out and decided to  let a 5rd burst go inside the LAVIII...

CLAD/LAD (PEQ2-A and PAC-4C IR Laser Aimers) and MNVG (PVS-14) the CF only bought x # of these - there are 2500 sets (IR laser and NVG) for operations and some for trg - the resuly is only cbt arms forces get these and only for either operation of limited domestic trg.

PRR (personal role radio) I have no idea on how many where bought but they dont last very long Afghan...

WeaponLight - Surefire Classic: we bought the wrong light and as a result most are now N/S - a UCR has been submitted and hopefully we will buy a Surefire light made for weapons...

"in my opinion, today, much more would be gained by spending a lot more time with the soldier and his weapon on the range, under competent coaches.  Today's soldier does not spend any where near enough time on the ranges beoming proficient with his weapon, be it 105 or 5.56 mm.  The ammunition cuts are criminal, and should be done away with!"

at a BARE minimum the simulator should be used weekly.

CFL said:
"in my opinion, today, much more would be gained by spending a lot more time with the soldier and his weapon on the range, under competent coaches.   Today's soldier does not spend any where near enough time on the ranges beoming proficient with his weapon, be it 105 or 5.56 mm.   The ammunition cuts are criminal, and should be done away with!"

at a BARE minimum the simulator should be used weekly.

DITTO

I think thats a good idea, my unit was allowing people to come in on tuesday nights(admin nights) and they had a MCpl run the sat trainer for anyone who came in, it was great practice.

I'm a little confused. I have been taught that the weight of the C7 is 3.9 kg and 4.4 kg with the 30 round mag. But than another instructor said it was 3.3 and 3.9. Which is it?

Coyote - I cant help you - trouble is we have three C7 variants in service (C7,C7A1,C7A2) add in optic weights and you have a broad rnage of weights...  Effectively you have five variants for the C7A2 with the SFW upper, and C7A2 with SFW upper w/RAS.

IIRC The C7A1 w/ C79 and load mag was 3.86kg (likely simplified these days to 3.9 ::))

According the DND website 3.3kg unloaded and 3.9kg loaded

just found this , since we had a few "lefty" threads I thought I would post this..

http://www.stagarms.com/

Are there any major differences between the C7 and M16 besides the select-fire modes?

Yeah......one's American and one's Canadian.

Is that what you mean by major differences?

Both the M16A1 and M16A2 are safe-semi-auto, and M16A2's come with or without burst control, and with or without field and fully adjustable rear sights, and with and without flat tops, etc.

Also they come in 1/7, 1/9 or 1/12, twist, either thick or thin bbls too. Colt has many models of the A2.

Cheers,

wes

I know this is a old thread, but I got a chance to shoot the new rifle last summer in Connaught. Big improvement, and the Elcan sight is upgraded as well, so it doens't loose the zero. I also shot it with the detachable supressor, makes it shound like a 22, grouping still tight (from 100m), it actualy made it easier to shoot tight groups in the wind, as the extra weight helps stablize the muzzle, same for limiting recoil jump... I hope they issue the supressors on a large scale, could come in very handy while on a patrol when you don't want to get compromised...

Hey Wes, whats the difference between a Barrel that is utilizing a rifle twist of 1/7 and one that is 1/9 ?
Does it only affect the rate at which a bullet twists during flight ?
thanks for your insight.

I do believe with the 1/7 and 1/9 one can use both M193 and SS109 and get good ballistic results. We have 1/9 on our Bushmaster carbines, while everything else in catalogue is 1/7.

As for twist, its 1/7", 1/9" or 1/12". Bullet weight plays a big role in accuracy, stabalisation, and hitting power at good ranges.

Example M193 fired from a rifle w/1/12" will not penetrate US M1 steel helmets or standard US body armour (c.1980) at 800 metres, while the SS109 fired from a rifle with 1/7" twist goes through both types of equipment a these ranges.

Hope this helps ya out.

Cheers,

Wes

it was a cost thing. just cheaper to paint it all green then to do cadpat.
nice to see something like that come out eventually, even with it's warts and all it'll hopefully be a better weapon.
Greg

It was not a cost thing ... During the test for CADPAT painted rifle, the CADPAT colour was fading out in about 1 days ...The current C7A2 is not painted but made of Green plastic furniture.

The only reason was the fading of the colour ... not the cost.

This photo was taken during CADPAT equipement test adn appear on CTS website. Take a look at his rifle  ;D ;) :threat:

HELLO! Ok, I'm brand new to the army (TOS Jan26) and I'm doing a weekend BMQ course. I was wondering if there are any sites that list all the parts of the C7 rifle? If there was one in this thread, I'm not sure, there's so many pages. Also are there any for weapon handling? I've only done one weekend, and I have the basics of it, but I'm a dweeb and I reasearch things for no reason, so if you know of any sites, please let me know! Thanks!,

4SYTH

Oh, sorry. That has nothing to do with the military. Its just that while in cadets, I earned my glider pilot license, but I didn't want to continue to get my power license, and eventually I started to hate flying, so they called me the anti-pilot. I can change it if it's offensive to anyone, or if it has a negative tone.

4SYTH

Back