• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

TFT's for the C3

I seem to remember the HP67.

We were the last Adv Tech Course to get PO'd on the Arty Slide Rule, and then toss it in the garbage !

Because we had learned to compute all survey functions with a pencil and log tables ( as well as with a CP&FC Graph, or Table C in the Firing Tables ), we too thought we had died and gone to heaven !

The pocket calculators came in as an interim measure, a stop-gap, if you will. MiliPAC was in the developmental stages and was still a few years off. My Adv Tech Course was the first to do a live-fire practice with other than an Arty Booard or Plotter.

I went back to the School six years later. My AIG course was the first to fire live with the MiliPAC !! Man, those days were scary ! The Illum program would give you a parallelogram instead of a diamond illum !! To quote Ray Melanson ( a noted AIG and, later, Master Gunner, " you would have to fire a round at every mil of bearing and elevation to prove this thing ! "

Ubique 

Wow - melanson - a name I hadn't thought of in years! Thanks for that.

How about parallelescope? I saw one (the one with the prism) being set up, and we played with it for an afternoon, but I never fired with one. Has anyone here used one? what were the principles and how did it work? I understand it was a lot different from Stadia rods and "nitelites" at night.

cheers

Re: MiliPACS

We fired it live before you Acks saw the first green one.  My BC in Ottawa at the time was the project director as CDC.

It wasn't as fast as maps before or after the ADAS got their hands on it.  And the Illum programs never quite worked.

The TTY was good for typing up the night pickets though.  The "100 pound f###ing brick" as old Bob Sheaves used to say.

Back