• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

TFT's for the C3

Bomber for life

They really don't like giving them electronic but you should be able to get paper copy from your friendly Tech WO

Lets see if an olde tech remembers this,...Tabular Firing Tables.

Bruce
i bet you still have a copy that you just dusted off, thats way you now what it is ha ha, now do you remember how to use them not just table F but all the tables, or will i just make your head hurt with numbers again. LOL Cheers.

UBIQUE

Tables, map and plotter are probably the only things that I would still remember how to use. Everything else is long different.... :crybaby:

Yes Bruce but things are much easier today, with the IFCCS does everything for you and more if you now how to cook numbers

* looks sheepish*      41-c eprom anybody?......

wow your really dating yourself we are on our third computing device sense then, but i too liked watching the bird go across the screen

Then there are those of us who trained on the artillery board and were exposed to FADAC. When we got GFTs, we thought we had died and gone to heaven. I still think the plotter was a retrograde step in a lot of ways.

If it interests anyone, at the school in 1975-1976 we were looking for a replacement for the machine we used to do the survey computations. It was an analogue machine that was used in German banks and money changing offices and required the operator to look up natural functions of angles to enter in it, so it was slightly more advanced that the cross bow. Somebody pointed us to the HP21 and HP22, and the locating section were tasked to assess them as a survey computing device. Anyway, long story short, the locating IG, Capt Mike Jeffery, walked into my office to tell me he had come up with a program for the calculators that would do basic computations for field gunnery. The SMIG and I took Mike to see the commandant, who called the Director of Artillery. Before we got much farther, the HP41C came on the scene, and the rest, as they say, is history.

To indicate what a leap in technology this entailed, the pocket calculator had only been on the market for a few years. I bought one in 1972 for 99.95 that only had four functions - add, subtract, multiply and divide - and no memory. We had a debate in the school about buying slightly more advanced models to issue to students a few years later.

Old Sweat

Good info and a bit of history in the making i see but it was still good info to read short and sweet and to the point.

UBIQUE

Great post - I did my Tech Course on the HP41C and CV. I still remember the little strips, etc.  Later, I had a MILIPAC conversion course, and it seemed awesome.  I didn't serve much time in the box, but one time sticks out in my mind. Almost half of my short career was spent as TSM (which I loved, by the way) One day, the CPO says "hey Sarge, the TSM needs to stay current with this stuff - hop up in here, and get between the boards". The next mission, comes down, and guess what I get, my first time as "Tech WO" - a simultaneous mission, and one of them is a linear smoke.... lol  I did pretty well, all things considered...

Arrrr Bruce - remember GFTs? (H-A, to boot!) And how about Plotter FCs? Of course learning the Plotter ended up getting me posted to run Mortar Boards with the Infantry, who co-opted me and took me over to the dark side for a few years....

:)

Bruce Monkhouse said:
  * looks sheepish*       41-c eprom anybody?......

I remember that. :) And doing my maps course with WO Allen. Came second in the course, They called it Adv Tech at the time, and my crse report stated "M/Bdr Strong's math is suspect without the use of a calculator" :D I am a little dyslexic with numbers.

Back