• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Terms of Service

BruceinAlberta

Inactive
Reaction score
Again the unknowing American, but what are the terms of service for officers and enlisted in the Candian Army.  What is the minimum term of service?

Minimum terms vary by trade.

Officers range from 3-9 years.

NCMs from 3 and up.

The more training is required and difficult it is to retain in the trade, the longer the contract will be.

Very similar to the US terms, only Canada has not yet added mandatory years of National Guard service (called the Primary Reserve in Canada) as our reserve units are not deployed as formed units, only used for individual augmentation, although this may change in the near future.

Why do you ask - thinking of coming north?

No, not joining the Canadian Army.  I just did 20 yrs active and NG in the US.  Just living in Calgary now and interested in learning about the Army here.

if you are living in Calgary and have a bit of spare time, hit the Museum of the Regiments for an interesting visit.

http://www.museumoftheregiments.ca/main/

Cheers

I am an American considering coming north to join,,, I was born in Newfoundland and want to come home after 36 years in Florida. (nothing here) Canada is always in my heart and I want to serve the best country in the world... can anyone tell me the PROPER procedure for joining? Including the time frame for people coming to Canada from the US...

You will be required to undergo a pre-security assessment that may take up to 18 months or more to complete.  Also because you have not lived in Canada for the last five years you will be required to provide a criminal and credit check from the area you were living in.  Also, make sure you have detailed proof of where you lived and when and employer references.

Ok, fair enough, but what if I move to Toronto first, live there for like 6 months,  then want to join?

Nothing changes.

You can always move to Toronto and live there for ten years then join and then there would be no pre-security assessment.

Because if you have not been living in Canada for the last ten years then you are required to undergo the pre-security assessment process. ;D

"I am an American considering coming north to join,,, I was born in Newfoundland and want to come home after 36 years in Florida. (nothing here) Canada is always in my heart and I want to serve the best country in the world... can anyone tell me the PROPER procedure for joining? Including the time frame for people coming to Canada from the US..."

- Want some free advice?  Join the US military, do your time, then come home if you still want to.  Trust me, it ain't the Canada you were born in.

Tom

TCBF said:
"I am an American considering coming north to join,,, I was born in Newfoundland and want to come home after 36 years in Florida. (nothing here) Canada is always in my heart and I want to serve the best country in the world... can anyone tell me the PROPER procedure for joining? Including the time frame for people coming to Canada from the US..."

- Want some free advice?  Join the US military, do your time, then come home if you still want to.  Trust me, it ain't the Canada you were born in.

Tom

huh. I think its pretty obvious he knows the canadian army is smaller and less advanced than the american military.. I can't imagine any other reason than that for you to make that comment, but I think its fair to say he has other reasons for wanting to come home.

"huh. I think its pretty obvious he knows the canadian army is smaller and less advanced than the american military.. I can't imagine any other reason than that for you to make that comment, but I think its fair to say he has other reasons for wanting to come home."

At over 36 years of age?  Which military has a more varied selection of trades and options for someone just starting their career at 36?  sure, I know of people who joined that old - they are good to have at work when they aren't on the injured list.

" I can't imagine any other reason than that for you to make that comment,"

- Well, you need only read the papers and this website to answer that question.

" but I think its fair to say he has other reasons for wanting to come home."

- I agree, and I hope he thinks them through. "Every form of refuge has it's price" - The Eagles (Lyin' Eyes)

Tom

MC said:
huh. I think its pretty obvious he knows the canadian army is smaller and less advanced than the american military.. 

and less stringent in our selection of officer cadets.... ;)

Back