• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

209.295 –Transportation Assistance for Reserve Force Personnel on Class "A" Reserve Service

JKin

Reaction score

209.295 –Transportation Assistance for Reserve Force Personnel on Class "A" Reserve Service:​

I recently stumbled upon an article mentioning that I could be reimbursed on my travels to my permanent residence and the base. Understand the conditions of:
  1. “the member lives a minimum of 16 kilometres from their worksite; and
  2. transportation cannot be provided from Government sources, or adequate public transport is not available.“
My question is how do I claim this? And do I get reimbursed both ways or just one way?

209.295 –Transportation Assistance for Reserve Force Personnel on Class "A" Reserve Service:​

I recently stumbled upon an article mentioning that I could be reimbursed on my travels to my permanent residence and the base. Understand the conditions of:
  1. “the member lives a minimum of 16 kilometres from their worksite; and
  2. transportation cannot be provided from Government sources, or adequate public transport is not available.“
My question is how do I claim this? And do I get reimbursed both ways or just one way?
Go through your CoC. There is a reimbursement form to fill out. I believe it is filled out monthly. They reimburse you at the Km low rate if I recall.

You will be reimbursed for the distance greater than 16km to a max distance of 100km (so 84km reimbursed max) for both ways.

This is only available to Reserve Force personnel on other than full time service.

Be prepared to prove that public transit is not available. I had to make the case for a member that the unit wasn't paying as there was public transit to get to the armouries. I checked from his residence to the armoury and sure enough there was a bus available. Then I checked for him to get home and found the bus was no longer available at that time of night. This was in Vancouver so I was surprised and glad I did check it.

Be prepared to prove that public transit is not available. I had to make the case for a member that the unit wasn't paying as there was public transit to get to the armouries. I checked from his residence to the armoury and sure enough there was a bus available. Then I checked for him to get home and found the bus was no longer available at that time of night. This was in Vancouver so I was surprised and glad I did check it.

Within the CBI, "adequate" is the key word. And the subject of a non-zero amount of argument and debate about what "adequate" looks like.

When I was the the AdminO at an NRD I was the one who signed off on the documents every moths. We just had a standard for you filled out when you joined the unit that that clerks used to calculate the distance from your home to our unit. At the end of the month, you claimed your travel based on how many days you attended trg that month (and the clerks would verify against the daily attendance register to make sure you weren't lying).

Call me lazy (trust me, people do not call me that), but we definitely were NOT scrupulous in our approvals of these forms.

When I was the the AdminO at an NRD I was the one who signed off on the documents every moths. We just had a standard for you filled out when you joined the unit that that clerks used to calculate the distance from your home to our unit. At the end of the month, you claimed your travel based on how many days you attended trg that month (and the clerks would verify against the daily attendance register to make sure you weren't lying).

Call me lazy (trust me, people do not call me that), but we definitely were NOT scrupulous in our approvals of these forms.

After an initial review, barring any material change in circumstances, it should be pro-forma, other than confirming dates worked / location of the work (eg no TAA for doing DLN courses at home).

After an initial review, barring any material change in circumstances, it should be pro-forma, other than confirming dates worked / location of the work (eg no TAA for doing DLN courses at home).
That was my experience. Once it was calculated out. The ROR would just confirm nights or weekends of training, and it got added to the pay accordingly.

Within the CBI, "adequate" is the key word. And the subject of a non-zero amount of argument and debate about what "adequate" looks like.
I always hate such terms in regulations and policies as it leave it too open for arguments. Same as using reasonable. What is adequate or reasonable to one isn't to another. To me adequate is that under normal circumstances the member could complete the trip within one hour according to the transit schedule and there has to be a bus scheduled within 15 minutes of 2200h when the parade ends with a possible second bus if the member missed the first bus. Naturally not everyone agrees. First submission establish member is entitled and until they move carry on.

Dammit, you folks have inspired me to ask the question of my OR staff now....

sigh

Back