• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Marine Infantry veteran says enlisted shouldn’t become officers — mayhem ensues [Task and Purpose]

dimsum

Army.ca Myth
Mentor
Reaction score
Marine veteran Ivan Snook set social media aflame on Sunday after posting that the U.S. military should stop allowing enlisted service members to become officers.

“Mustangs erode the esteem, legitimacy and distinct culture of the officer corps like merchants marrying into the aristocracy,” Snook posted on X. “Nevertheless, we are intent on lowering the standards and reducing military service to being ‘just a job’ asap.”

Tell me you have a chip on your shoulder without telling me you have a chip on your shoulder.

Yup.

I suspect he got passed over for OCS and has decided to make it his axe to grind. Albeit going back to school to get a Masters in Pyschobabble to attempt to prove it seems a little excessive and probably his OCS board noted some Napoleon complex…

Yup.

I suspect he got passed over for OCS and has decided to make it his axe to grind. Albeit going back to school to get a Masters in Pyschobabble to attempt to prove it seems a little excessive and probably his OCS board noted some Napoleon complex…
So failed mustang critiques successful mustangs?

I saw this go down, it was glorious. MilTwitter and the Vetbros are… fractious at the best of times. This guy somehow united the clans and had practically everyone come together in mocking him for what a shitty take he had, and how he doubled down with Freudian psychobabble. It was like seeing someone who dove into a weird bit of academia and swallowed every bit of Kool Aid he could drink. Good times

I saw this go down, it was glorious. MilTwitter and the Vetbros are… fractious at the best of times. This guy somehow united the clans and had practically everyone come together in mocking him for what a shitty take he had, and how he doubled down with Freudian psychobabble. It was like seeing someone who dove into a weird bit of academia and swallowed every bit of Kool Aid he could drink. Good times

'On Killing' enters the chat ;)

Family Guy Cockroach GIF

It was Flavor Aid btw. I’m very pedantic when it comes to cult killings. 😉

I laughed at this - he didn't get the reaction he though he would...though he reminds me of some largely old MARS/NWO's I've been around, as well as some RMC cadets that I think were (still) being taught that us normal folks were more or less mentally challenged (otherwise we'd be officers too) and actually talked to us like I talk to Int Ops - VERRRYYYY SLOOOOWWWWLLLLYYY.

I laughed at this - he didn't get the reaction he though he would...though he reminds me of some largely old MARS/NWO's I've been around, as well as some RMC cadets that I think were (still) being taught that us normal folks were more or less mentally challenged (otherwise we'd be officers too) and actually talked to us like I talk to Int Ops - VERRRYYYY SLOOOOWWWWLLLLYYY.

I worked for an Arty LCol who was like that. Kept my mouth shut until he said something about the "Other Ranks" (indication enough) being a peculiar bunch that needed maximum supervision by "their betters" (myself included).

He was oblivious that I was a CFR when he said this. When I told him I came from the ranks, he sheepishly said "oh.. well... you're one of the good ones, or you wouldn't be where you are." I wanted to punch him, frankly; but that's frowned upon in the Officer's Mess... apparently

I worked for an Arty LCol who was like that. Kept my mouth shut until he said something about the "Other Ranks" (indication enough) being a peculiar bunch that needed maximum supervision by "their betters" (myself included).

He was oblivious that I was a CFR when he said this. When I told him I came from the ranks, he sheepishly said "oh.. well... you're one of the good ones, or you wouldn't be where you are." I wanted to punch him, frankly; but that's frowned upon in the Officer's Mess... apparently
I expect that sort of behaviour from Int Os, not Arty officers...

When you say 'mixing' you mean in a platonic way, right? ;)
I don't know, I needed a flow chart to try and keep track of one of the various lines of fraternization on the go at a friend's unit. I also learned what a 'bowl party' was. It apparently came to a head because of an outbreak of STDs in the unit (and spouses).

It may be consensual, but sleeping with your coworkers spouse never seems like a good idea to me. Maybe I'm old fashioned that way.

I don't know, I needed a flow chart to try and keep track of one of the various lines of fraternization on the go at a friend's unit. I also learned what a 'bowl party' was. It apparently came to a head because of an outbreak of STDs in the unit (and spouses).

It may be consensual, but sleeping with your coworkers spouse never seems like a good idea to me. Maybe I'm old fashioned that way.

OMO enters the chat ;)

lol, there was an equivalent of that in Shannon Park in Halifax (before it looked like a zombie prop, and then became an actual zombie prop for a while). Tide boxes maybe? Some kind of cereal? It was an era I happily missed so was more of a local myth at that point, but I think there were enough people around with divorces from coming home early that it was at least partially true.

This was a lot less haphazard though and apparently quite organized group parties. To each their own I guess, it just ended up in a lot of drama.

As my old female boss put it: "Don't fish from the company pier"

Back