• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Telus is going to charge customers $0.15/per incoming text message

Do yourselves a favour and throw your phones into a river. That's what I did. Trust me it makes life alot easier when people can't contact you.  ;D

MedTechStudent said:
Rogers loves texting me.  When I...

Miss a call.
Drop a call.
Get a voicemail.
Call 411.

Rogers, always there.  ;D

I like that with Rogers, I get a text telling me someone called from a work phone (I don't answer, when it says restricted number  ;D even though I know it is more then likely work)

cheeky_monkey said:
Odd... I don't pay any fees like that. Connection/911 or otherwise.... ???

Are you with bell?  If so is your plan a few years old?  Again if so then chances are you have one of their 'all-in-one' plans that includes system access and 911 in the monthly charge - so you pay 45$ + taxes, not $45+SAF+911+taxes. 
SAF is a scam, as is 911 charges.  For a while Bell employees (as well as Telus and Rogers) would tell customers that these were mandatory government fees, which was a total lie.  However my person favourite is on Bells website where it explains what SAF it says this: System Access Fees are charged by all wireless companies to help pay for the network and the ongoing software, technology and other upgrades to that network. Generally, the higher the fee, the greater the opportunity to invest in network quality to enhance your experience. Just one more reason to choose Bell.
http://www.bell.ca/shop/Sme.Sol.Wireless.Internet.Plans.page
That always made me chuckle.

Sheerin said:
Are you with bell?  If so is your plan a few years old?  Again if so then chances are you have one of their 'all-in-one' plans that includes system access and 911 in the monthly charge - so you pay 45$ + taxes, not $45+SAF+911+taxes. 
SAF is a scam, as is 911 charges.  For a while Bell employees (as well as Telus and Rogers) would tell customers that these were mandatory government fees, which was a total lie.  However my person favourite is on Bells website where it explains what SAF it says this: System Access Fees are charged by all wireless companies to help pay for the network and the ongoing software, technology and other upgrades to that network. Generally, the higher the fee, the greater the opportunity to invest in network quality to enhance your experience. Just one more reason to choose Bell.
http://www.bell.ca/shop/Sme.Sol.Wireless.Internet.Plans.page
That always made me chuckle.

That's why I went with Virgin Mobile.  No SAF, no 911 fee.  To get the phone I wanted for $79.99, I only had to take a year's contract (you can pay as you go as well) which would only cost me $10/month of the remaining months if I wanted to get out of it.  Not the exhorbitant fees charged by Rogers, Bell, etc.  I have the "My Crew" $35/month plan with unlimited talk and text with my 5 numbers on evenings and weekend, plus 200 anytime minutes and unlimited local calls, evenings and weekends.  The bonus is, I got an Ottawa phone number, but if I'm in Kingston, then Kingston numbers are local and vice versa.  Works great for me.

The main reason I got it, is that local phone only is included in my apartment so I needed a way to call long distance.  I don't plan on carrying the thing around with me all the time.  Just for travelling on weekends, in case of emergency.

PMedMoe said:
That's why I went with Virgin Mobile.  No SAF, no 911 fee.  To get the phone I wanted for $79.99, I only had to take a year's contract (you can pay as you go as well) which would only cost me $10/month of the remaining months if I wanted to get out of it.  Not the exhorbitant fees charged by Rogers, Bell, etc.  I have the "My Crew" $35/month plan with unlimited talk and text with my 5 numbers on evenings and weekend, plus 200 anytime minutes and unlimited local calls, evenings and weekends.  The bonus is, I got an Ottawa phone number, but if I'm in Kingston, then Kingston numbers are local and vice versa.  Works great for me.

The main reason I got it, is that local phone only is included in my apartment so I needed a way to call long distance.  I don't plan on carrying the thing around with me all the time.  Just for travelling on weekends, in case of emergency.

Well you do know you're able to enjoy that network and the network advancements becuase of the SAF that Bell customers pay, right?  Virgin Mobile, along with PC, PetroCanada, 7-11 and Telus use Bell's CDMA network for their phones. 

Assuming of course that the SAF actually goes towards network improvements.  :)

Virgin Mobile, along with PC, PetroCanada, 7-11 and Telus use Bell's CDMA network for their phones. 

Not to nitpick, but Telus and Bell use eachother's towers. Telus owns most if not all towers in BC and AB, and Bell owns most if not all towers towards ON and QC. Both have reciprocating roaming agreements, hence why Telus and Bell phones both work in BC, AB, ON, and QC. SK and MB towers are owned by SaskTel and MTS respectively, and both don't necessarily have the best relationships with either Bell or Telus (Telus' roaming agreement with SaskTel recently fell out, now Telus phones only work in Saskatoon).

Cellular rates are a tricky bugger, but here is the fastest explanation I could come up with:

VM and PC are just virtual providers. They buy tower rights wholesale from Bell or Telus (and get the roaming agreement vicariously), and thus can charge what they want provided it brings in a profit (PetroCanada and 7-11 are using Rogers towers, thus aren't on the Bell/Telus CDMA network). Of note, is that tower rights are dirt cheap, it's the hardware (i.e. the mobile phones) that isn't cheap. First-Line Post-paid providers (Bell, Telus, Rogers, etc) charge more for airtime due to the heavy subsidization they put on phones, and the rates combined with service contracts are how they recover the subsidy (or failing that, the Early Cancel Fees). Discount and Virtual providers usually charge less than first-line providers simply because one often shells out up front for the hardware, and whatever loss was taken is hoped to be recovered through service rates. The slightly lower rates and lack of lengthy contracts are their incentives, whereas first-line providers use the phone subsidies and guaranteed rates on contract as incentives.

Contrast this to most of Europe, where you pay for your phone 100% up front, thus the providers are not recovering any initial losses, and can keep their rates cheaper, and not resort to service contracts.

Bell, however, is the only operator to charge an $8.95 SAF. Telus charges $6.95 (according to my latest bill), and so do most other post-paid providers. In essence, you're paying $2 more for the same coverage.  At least take solace that yes, the SAF does go towards maintaining and improving the system - equipment does have a failure rate (towers make excellent lightning rods), and limitations as well (cellular service in a dense urban zone does require a lot of hardware), and that money does go towards ensuring and improving service.

On the upside, Telus was nice enough to send me a coupon for 2 free tickets to a movie including concessions, just for being a customer. Made my day :D

Yes, the Canadian Cellular market does kind of suck at the moment. For now, it's just a matter of picking the lesser of several evils, and hunting for the best deal. Once some competition kicks in, we should be seeing our prices normalize proportionate to what the rest of the world pays.

Brihard said:
Canadian wireless is almost a cartel... My contract with Rogers still has 14 months on it. I'm wondering whether to 'pause' my contract for tour, or just let it run with zero useage and hope I can get a better deal six months sooner than I would. I think (and hope) that between the current iPhone blowup and the recent spectrum auction, the wireless market may be soon entering a significant shift to the customers' benefit.

Change your service to "emergency only"...it retains your phone number and is something along the lines of $10-12/mo including the SAF.  I'm with Rogers and did that on my tour.  Not sure if technically they have to, but they did.

AEC Kapp said:
Not to nitpick, but Telus and Bell use eachother's towers. Telus owns most if not all towers in BC and AB, and Bell owns most if not all towers towards ON and QC. Both have reciprocating roaming agreements, hence why Telus and Bell phones both work in BC, AB, ON, and QC. SK and MB towers are owned by SaskTel and MTS respectively, and both don't necessarily have the best relationships with either Bell or Telus (Telus' roaming agreement with SaskTel recently fell out, now Telus phones only work in Saskatoon).

Cellular rates are a tricky bugger, but here is the fastest explanation I could come up with:

VM, PC, and 7-11 are just virtual providers. They buy tower rights wholesale from Bell or Telus (and get the roaming agreement vicariously), and thus can charge what they want provided it brings in a profit (PetroCanada is using Rogers towers, thus aren't on the Bell/Telus CDMA network). Of note, is that tower rights are dirt cheap, it's the hardware (i.e. the mobile phones) that isn't cheap. First-Line Post-paid providers (Bell, Telus, Rogers, etc) charge more for airtime due to the heavy subsidization they put on phones, and the rates combined with service contracts are how they recover the subsidy (or failing that, the Early Cancel Fees). Discount and Virtual providers usually charge less than first-line providers simply because one often shells out up front for the hardware, and whatever loss was taken is hoped to be recovered through service rates. The slightly lower rates and lack of lengthy contracts are their incentives, whereas first-line providers use the phone subsidies and guaranteed rates on contract as incentives.

Contrast this to most of Europe, where you pay for your phone 100% up front, thus the providers are not recovering any initial losses, and can keep their rates cheaper, and not resort to service contracts.

Bell, however, is the only operator to charge an $8.95 SAF. Telus charges $6.95 (according to my latest bill), and so do most other post-paid providers. In essence, you're paying $2 more for the same coverage.  At least take solace that yes, the SAF does go towards maintaining and improving the system - equipment does have a failure rate (towers make excellent lightning rods), and limitations as well (cellular service in a dense urban zone does require a lot of hardware), and that money does go towards ensuring and improving service.

On the upside, Telus was nice enough to send me a coupon for 2 free tickets to a movie including concessions, just for being a customer. Made my day :D

Yes, the Canadian Cellular market does kind of suck at the moment. For now, it's just a matter of picking the lesser of several evils, and hunting for the best deal. Once some competition kicks in, we should be seeing our prices normalize proportionate to what the rest of the world pays.

I didn't realise PetroCan Prepaid was GSM. 
And yeah, SAF is a total scam, but it's just one more reason to choose bell. 

And oh you were totally nitpicking lol :)

cheers

Sheerin said:
but it's just one more reason to choose bell. 

Hell will freeze over and i will become King of England before i sign up with Bell........

I didn't know they were with Bell.

CDN Aviator said:
Hell will freeze over and i will become King of England before i sign up with Bell........

+1,000,000

Bell can KMA...  :rage:

CDN Aviator said:

Hmm.. that's nice for you to be able to say, but I'm the one that signed with Aliant in April, and Aliant was bought out by Bell weeks later.
I'm pissed about these extra charges that I didn't even sign for.

Midget

Kat Stevens said:
I didn't know they were with Bell.

Oh indeed, Joe Walsh is in my "Fav. Five"
;)

Or at least he was then I stopped using Bell because I hated their plans and rates.  Oh well, Rogers is not too much better.  :(

Just another reason to unplug and walk away from cellphones. Besides i heard that holding them to your head for longer than 5 minutes at a time can cause ED.  ;D Not to mention the hole in your wallet.

Just like TV, no matter who provides it, in Canada it will suck, cost too much and in the end not be worth the hassles, bald spots and sudden outbreak of turrets.

http://technology.sympatico.msn.cbc.ca/abc/news/ContentPosting.aspx?isfa=1&feedname=CBC-TECH-SCIENCE-V3&showbyline=True&newsitemid=tech-spectrum

Cellphone carriers already feeling the competition: Prentice

Cellphone prices will come down now that several new carriers are poised to deliver services after the government's spectrum auction, Minister of Industry Jim Prentice said Tuesday.

More on the link above.

Lone Wolf Quagmire said:
http://technology.sympatico.msn.cbc.ca/abc/news/ContentPosting.aspx?isfa=1&feedname=CBC-TECH-SCIENCE-V3&showbyline=True&newsitemid=tech-spectrum

Cellphone carriers already feeling the competition: Prentice

Cellphone prices will come down now that several new carriers are poised to deliver services after the government's spectrum auction, Minister of Industry Jim Prentice said Tuesday.

More on the link above.

I highly doubt they will come down, just like the cost of gas. Companies are looking to make millions out of pocket lint and drain you dry. As for the new competition like the steel industry,beer industry and pretty much any other out there, upstarts will get bought off/out and squashed like bugs to prevent anyone from stopping the monopoly.

The only good thing that may or may not come from this is the new technolgy and inventions... other than that same old same old. PAY UP SUCKER!  :threat:

Competition will bring cellphonse service fees down ???

didn't they say the same thing about gas prices ???
Even though all oil companies seem to change their prices up and down in perfect synchronicity, the Gov't hasn't acted

I won't hold my breath !

Surprising Roger Customer Service Experience.  New girlfriend in Burlington.  Needed to add her to "My 5" on my cell plan.  CS Rep: "No problem."  Asked if there was any way I could mitigate the overage I'd incurred talking to this new girlfriend over the last week.  The CS rep says: "No problem, I'll just credit it back to your account."

I've had some bad service from Rogers in past, but that was nice....it was $80+.

Matthew.  ;D

Back