• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Taliban commander defects... after recieving help from Canadian soldiers

Armymatters

Inactive
Reaction score
http://www.cbc.ca/story/world/national/2006/06/16/taliban-defection.html
Taliban commander defects after help from Canadians
Last Updated Fri, 16 Jun 2006 11:57:30 EDT
CBC News

A longtime Taliban commander treated by Canadian military doctors has renounced the hardline militant group and offered his support for Afghanistan's new government.

One month ago, Afghan police arrested Mullah Ibrahim, a Taliban official in the Kandahar region, where 2,300 Canadian soldiers are serving.

At the time, he was suffering from jaundice, fell into a coma and was brought to see Canadian doctors at the main military base at the Kandahar airfield.

Now recovered but in a wheelchair, Ibrahim credits God and the Canadians for saving his life.

He said he has renounced his Taliban ties and urged others to join him. Ibrahim said he wants to see peace and stability in his country.

Afghanistan's government has accepted him into a type of amnesty program which will see him monitored, but not prosecuted. Police will offer him some protection.

A spokesperson for the Canadian Forces said the program is a form of parole and participants can't set the terms of their participation.

"The objective of this program is to give an opportunity for former insurgents to reintegrate into Afghan society and live peacefully," said Capt. Julie Roberge. "It also provides an opportunity for exiles to return."

Ibrahim said he last fought for the Taliban in 2001, but Canadian Forces officials in Afghanistan said he continued to have a great influence in southern Afghanistan.

Well this is an unexpected sight... however, we can't always wait for Taliban commanders to fall ill for us to treat them and turn them to our side...

Good news. The taliban have been hurt in the past few months with defections. The Afghans are a practical bunch they dont care for fighting for the losing side. The Afghan government is stronger but not very invasive like the taliban was, so its a no brainer for the tribes to align with Kabul. The fact that the coalition is impossible for the taliban to beat is a plus. ;D

tomahawk6 said:
Good news. The taliban have been hurt in the past few months with defections. The Afghans are a practical bunch they don't care for fighting for the losing side. The Afghan government is stronger but not very invasive like the taliban was, so its a no brainer for the tribes to align with Kabul. The fact that the coalition is impossible for the taliban to beat is a plus. ;D

The Taliban initially came to power in the vacuum of the Russians leaving. I don't read anything anywhere where it was actually part of any long term plan by them; they simply saw the opportunity and took it. Up until that point, they were not on anybody's radar.

You may have a point that they, for the most part, just reintegrate, especially when they see things improving in their former homeland. There will always be some die-hards, but for the most part, just being part of the Taliban, means they are impressionable.

my 2 cents

Since when did the Taliban become "terrorists"?

S_Baker said:
I thought the article stated that he was on his way to turn himself in when he was captured by Afghani police?  Well anyways, I like to hear how terrorists or former terrorists like Canada, makes me sleep well at night.

Uh huh...just like....

The cheque is in the mail....
    I really love you.....
    I won't......

The government has already bought him a house in Mississauga, from what I understand.

If he can raise $150,000, he can run for the leadership of the Federal Liberals.

I sometimes enjoy oscilating the fewmets, indeed.

S_Baker said:
  Well anyways, I like to hear how terrorists or former terrorists like Canada, makes me sleep well at night.
glass houses. You got enough of your own running around down there, you can stop worrying about ours. We'll deal with it, thanks.

Kat Stevens said:
The government has already bought him a house in Mississauga, from what I understand.
If his liver disease is chronic or terminal he won't be living anywhere for long...

HL

S_Baker said:
Yeah I know. one mans terrorist is another mans freedom fighter, I'll rmember that the next time I hear about 25 people being executed for voter registration cards.   ;)

I'm not trying to be facetious; since when did the Taliban become terrorists?  Would the Vietcong of the 1960's be a terrorist organization?

Infanteer said:
I'm not trying to be facetious; since when did the Taliban become terrorists?  Would the Vietcong of the 1960's be a terrorist organization?

Compare the atrocities they preformed, to today's terorrist's and guess..

Infanteer said:
I'm not trying to be facetious; since when did the Taliban become terrorists? 
problem is two-fold:
1. we've embraced "terrorist" as the umbrella-name to describe the various enemies of Western Democracy, no matter how strictly they meet the criteria, likely as a term of convenience.

2. we've embraced "Taliban" as the umbrella-name to describe the various enemies of Western Democracy in Afghanistan, no matter the reasons they are fighting us, likely as a term of convenience.

A rose by any other name smells as sweet. A scumbag by any other name still chokes to death on his own blood if you shoot him in the right spot.

GAP said:
Compare the atrocities they preformed, to today's terorrist's and guess..

The VC were just as nasty, but let's not confuse them with the Red Brigade.

paracowboy said:
problem is two-fold:
1. we've embraced "terrorist" as the umbrella-name to describe the various enemies of Western Democracy, no matter how strictly they meet the criteria, likely as a term of convenience.

2. we've embraced "Taliban" as the umbrella-name to describe the various enemies of Western Democracy in Afghanistan, no matter the reasons they are fighting us, likely as a term of convenience.

A rose by any other name smells as sweet. A scumbag by any other name still chokes to death on his own blood if you shoot him in the right spot.

Very true my friend.  The only reason I raised the point was because this umbrella-naming doesn't do us any good.  By throwing an opponent into a catch-all, TEAM AMERICA - F**K YEAH category of "terrorist", we:

A) Cloud the definition of what we are dealing with - we need to properly distinguish and classify opposing groups; their origins, their motivations, their make-up, their MO (which may include terrorist tactics).  Substituting this reality with a preconceived notion of what the enemy is is only a way to fuck things up.  Trainor and Gordon's recent analysis on how to Shit the Bed in Iraq is a good example.

B)  Distort the true nature of the enemy - I highly doubt that a Taliban insurgent has much to do with a yuppie Arab in the West who goes hardcore and turns an airliner into a cruise missile.  There are some connections and linkages, which are important (indeed, they underscore the foundations of an "Islamic Insurgency"), but if we take the above line and label them all "terrorist garbage", then we miss the important differences, which could probably be the difference between winning and losing a war.  How many wrong decisions were made during the Cold War that all Communists were the same, mere puppets of the Kremlin?  Sun Tzu says "Know your enemy and blahblahblah....", no?

Oh well, scum-bag seems to be a suitable term (props to the CDS for that one).  I personally find the article to be a good one; having a Taliban higher-up defect should mean something in terms of the vitality of the insurgency in Afghanistan.  Alas, in Mr Baker's eyes (judging from yet another shot at us) Canada can do no good for his "War on Terror"....

Infanteer said:
Very true my friend.  The only reason I raised the point was because this umbrella-naming doesn't do us any good.  By throwing an opponent into a catch-all, TEAM AMERICA - F**K YEAH category of "terrorist", we:

A) Cloud the definition of what we are dealing with - we need to properly distinguish and classify opposing groups, their origins, their motivations, their make-up, their MO (which may include terrorist tactics).  Substituting this reality with a preconceived notion of what the enemy is is only a way to fuck things up.  Trainor and Gordon's recent analysis on how to Shit the Bed in Iraq is a good example.

B)  Distort the true nature of the enemy - I highly doubt that a Taliban insurgent has much to do with a yuppie Arab in the West who goes hardcore and turns an airliner into a cruise missile.  There are some connections and linkages, which are important (indeed, they underscore the foundations of an "Islamic Insurgency"), but if we take the above line and label them all "terrorist garbage", then we miss the important differences, which could probably be the difference between winning and losing a war.  How many wrong decisions were made during the Cold War that all Communists were the same, mere puppets of the Kremlin?  Sun Tzu says "Know your enemy and blahblahblah....", no?

Oh well, scum-bag seems to be a suitable term (props to the CDS for that one).  I personally find the article to be a good one; having a Taliban higher-up defect should mean something in terms of the vitality of the insurgency in Afghanistan.  Alas, in Mr Baker's eyes (judging from yet another shot at us) Canada can do no good for his "War on Terror"....
yup.

I will be curious to see over time if some of these "defectors" and fighters that are being offered amnesty are just trying to regroup and integrate themselves into the power structure, now that they know the gig as they used to know it is up. 
I imagine you will see a transition from hardcore jihadist, to simple drug trafficker as the identified enemy as gains are made.  All the more reason for the drug dealers to slide back in, maneuver into positions of power or trust, then start using their govt influence to move heroin again.

Yeah, but isn't that we are advocating? That if they want legitimate change, become part of a productive system and change it from within.

GAP said:
Yeah, but isn't that we are advocating? That if they want legitimate change, become part of a productive system and change it from within.

What a better way to undermine an insurgency then to co-opt it, no?

Back