• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

SYR Refugees to Canada (split fm SYR refugees thread)

Status
Not open for further replies.
More details, in English:
The Canadian Armed Forces are preparing to lodge hundreds of refugees at bases in Ontario and Quebec on a temporary basis as the government prepares to resettle 25,000 refugees by year's end.

The government has yet to say how it intends to meet its goal of resettling thousands in a limited timeframe, but an announcement is expected soon.

"The Canadian Armed Forces (CAF) is currently planning on providing interim lodging at bases in Quebec and Ontario as a priority," said Dominique Tessier, a media relations officer with the Department of National Defence, in an email to CBC News.

"Other bases and locations may be used if requested by government of Canada planners."

Public Safety Minister Ralph Goodale was asked on Wednesday about plans to resettle 1,000 refugees at CFB Trenton in Ontario and 500 refugees at CFB Valcartier in Quebec as early as Dec. 1.

"We recognize the urgency. We want to release the details as rapidly as possible," said Goodale, adding that the specifics would be announced by the immigration minister in the coming days.

Goodale and Immigration Minister John McCallum met with two of Quebec's ministers today to discuss the government's "ambitious" plan.

"We reiterated our commitment to respond swiftly to the ongoing crisis, and also to ensure that the health and security of the arriving refugees – and of all Canadians – remains paramount, and is not compromised in any way," said McCallum in a written statement issued Thursday night.

While municipal and provincial officials wait for a formal announcement, plans are afoot across various federal departments to assist the government with the herculean task of resettling a large number of refugees in a short period of time.

Immigration officials are working with the departments of health, public safety, and national defence to meet the government's self-imposed deadline ....
Also, this:
Canadian Armed Forces officials are attempting to quash a rumour that members of the military and their families are being forced out of barracks to make way for an influx of Syrian refugees.

After letters were sent to various bases in Ontario and Quebec inquiring about available accommodations, CAF offices were flooded with calls from “certain soldiers reacting to rumours they may be relocated,” according to a spokesman.

Evan Koronewski said the the Department of National Defence is exploring various “contingency planning” in anticipation of 25,000 refugees arriving on Canadian shores within the coming months, in keeping with prime minister Justin Trudeau’s pledge.

DND and the CAF “are ready to do everything they can to contribute to a ‘Whole of Government’ effort to assist the Syrian refugees,” according to a statement.

CAF confirmed it is reviewing accommodations available at bases and wings “should the CAF be called upon to provide assistance in that regard.”

The CAF said its intent was to use vacant spaces, and Koronewski confirmed no permanent residents of the barracks will be affected ....
Highlights & underlining mine ....

The Ottawa Citizen reports that costs ($1.2 Billion over six years) have been identified and funding is earmarked ($876.7 Million) for this year (2015-16) some of which ($116 Million) is already in place. DND will need almost $100 Million according to the report. It's not clear, from the report, exactly what costs DND will be expected to shoulder.

E.R. Campbell said:
The Ottawa Citizen reports that costs ($1.2 Billion over six years) have been identified and funding is earmarked ($876.7 Million) for this year (2015-16) some of which ($116 Million) is already in place. DND will need almost $100 Million according to the report. It's not clear, from the report, exactly what costs DND will be expected to shoulder.
So far, only a bit of winterization of some houses @ Valcartier coming via MERX ....
.... The work includes, but is not necessarily limited to, the supply of labour, material, supervision and equipment necessary to winterize 10 houses at the Cadet Camp, including among others, the replacement of power cables for the main electrical panels and the replacement of the main electrical panels, the installation of new electrical panels, the installation of an heating system, the additions of rails and fireproof curtains, the construction of new exterior walls, the construction of landings and treated wood steps, the installation of exterior doors, floor and roof insulation as well as the addition of a venting system. Also, the delivery and the installation of fireproof curtains in 3 additional houses shall be completed. The work must be carried out within a very short timeline, i.e. by December 30th, 2015 ....
Stand by, though ....

The CAF said its intent was to use vacant spaces, and Koronewski confirmed no permanent residents of the barracks will be affected ....

I wonder what constitutes as permanent?  If I am living in barracks on IR I'm not permanent. 

I'm told there is also a year waiting list for PMQs. Will members who have been on the waiting list for a year be put out so refugees can move in?  I think people also need to realize vacant space (tents & transient buildings) doesn't automatically mean enough food and toilet facilities.

Being put up at the cadet camp in Valcartier starting in December: These poor people are about to get a rude introduction to Canadian winters and to Canada's wilderness.

Haven't been up there for a good while, but I seem to recall that at the cadet camp you definitely hear the sound of gunfire from the ranges and from the training areas. If so, is this good for the psychological well being of people that just escaped from a war zone? I wonder.

In any event, using military bases that way does not strike me as best for the refugees.

When they come into Canada the usual way, they have sponsors - usually church/mosque/temple groups or other community based charities - that take care of them, provide them with food, clothing, furniture and a place to live in the community, and then visit with them constantly to orient them, help them deal with new circumstances.

I have no doubt about the community spirit of the members of the CAF and their families, but they are not community workers or charities volunteers and they have another job to do on the base. Putting the refugee sort of away also, at the cadet camp, is enough physical separation that the refugees will not necessarily be on the mind of anyone not "tasked" with looking after them, and that I fear will leave them on their own where integration is concerned. I can only see this being fine if it is used as a clearing area for a week or two pending relocation inside the normal refugee channels employed in Canada (those community groups I mentioned above).

Oldgateboatdriver said:
Being put up at the cadet camp in Valcartier starting in December: These poor people are about to get a rude introduction to Canadian winters and to Canada's wilderness.

Haven't been up there for a good while, but I seem to recall that at the cadet camp you definitely hear the sound of gunfire from the ranges and from the training areas. If so, is this good for the psychological well being of people that just escaped from a war zone? I wonder.

In any event, using military bases that way does not strike me as best for the refugees.

When they come into Canada the usual way, they have sponsors - usually church/mosque/temple groups or other community based charities - that take care of them, provide them with food, clothing, furniture and a place to live in the community, and then visit with them constantly to orient them, help them deal with new circumstances.

I have no doubt about the community spirit of the members of the CAF and their families, but they are not community workers or charities volunteers and they have another job to do on the base. Putting the refugee sort of away also, at the cadet camp, is enough physical separation that the refugees will not necessarily be on the mind of anyone not "tasked" with looking after them, and that I fear will leave them on their own where integration is concerned. I can only see this being fine if it is used as a clearing area for a week or two pending relocation inside the normal refugee channels employed in Canada (those community groups I mentioned above).

:goodpost:

I fully agree that the yellow highlighted part is the best way to bring them into Canada, along with reuniting them with family who are already here.  It is not a rapid influx of thousands as made as an "Election Promise", but a much slower method that would seem to be less of a strain on Social and Medical Services, finances, and infrastructure requirements, as well as being much safer security wise.

The Ministers (Immigration, Public Safety) chatted up Quebec politicos yesterday - highlights mine ....
    “.... Minister of Public Safety Ralph Goodale and I had the great pleasure of meeting with Kathleen Weil, Quebec’s Minister of Immigration, Diversity and Inclusiveness, and Pierre Moreau, Quebec’s Minister of Municipal Affairs and Land Occupancy and acting Minister of Public Security.

“Our discussion focused on our plans to bring 25,000 Syrian refugees to Canada. The Government of Canada values our unique partnership with Quebec on immigration and refugee matters, as defined by the Canada-Quebec Accord. We are also holding consultations with our counterparts in other provinces and territories as we implement this significant, complex and compassionate humanitarian initiative.

“In our meeting today, we reiterated our commitment to respond swiftly to the ongoing crisis, and also to ensure that the health and security of the arriving refugees – and of all Canadians – remains paramount, and is not compromised in any way.

“In the coming days, we will provide Canadians with the details of our ambitious plan. Needless to say, the Government of Canada recognizes it is critical to have ongoing engagement and co-ordination with other levels of government, stakeholders, partners, and the Canadian public for the successful implementation of this plan.

“As Minister of Immigration, Refugees, and Citizenship, I am tremendously grateful for the collaboration and commitment of the government of Quebec, of other provinces and territories, and of all our domestic and international partners, as we continue to take action to help Syrian refugees rebuild their lives in our great country.”

Oldgateboatdriver said:
Your entire post is both true...and completely irrelevant.

There are a significant number of military personnel right now whose throw-away COA of 'wringing hands and wishing what might have been' is long past.  Whether it's a steaming pile of feces or a brilliant humanitarian move no longer matters* for those whose focus is on, "OK, let's get this done."

* OK, except over a pint at the end of the day..... when its many fecal qualities are bemoaned.  ;)

Journeyman said:

There are a significant number of military personnel right now whose throw-away COA of 'wringing hands and wishing what might have been' is long past.  Whether it's a steaming pile of feces or a brilliant humanitarian move no longer matters* for those whose focus is on, "OK, let's get this done."

* OK, except over a pint at the end of the day..... when its many fecal qualities are bemoaned.  ;)

[;) Roger that.

Journeyman said:

There are a significant number of military personnel right now whose throw-away COA of 'wringing hands and wishing what might have been' is long past. 
Whether it's a steaming pile of feces or a brilliant humanitarian move no longer matters* for those whose focus is on, "OK, let's get this done."

Exactly. 

This just out ....
Marie-Claude Landry, Chief Commissioner of the Canadian Human Rights Commission issues the following statement:

“The events in Paris and other recent tragedies are unspeakable. Our hearts go out to the victims and their families. Canada must work with its partners to ensure that those responsible for creating so much misery are held accountable. The security of all citizens should be of paramount concern to all governments.

“As Canadians, we have an obligation to do our part to help people who are genuinely in need of protection.

“Millions of innocent people are suffering tremendously in many countries in the Middle East. They are desperate for help from the international community. They want to live in a society where human rights are respected and where violence is not accepted. They long for safety, stability and the ability to make for themselves the lives they are able and wish to have.

“The Canadian Human Rights Commission believes that effective security measures and respect for human rights are perfectly compatible. We should be resolute in our efforts and shared goal to eradicate terrorism and we should be equally resolute in our respect for all human rights, now more than ever. We have to hold the terrorists responsible for their actions and not the ethnic and religious groups to which they are perceived to belong.

“I am very troubled to hear of reports of Muslims being targeted this week in different parts of Canada. We have also heard of great acts of kindness. The people of Peterborough, Ontario joined together to fight against hate after a local mosque was set on fire and raised more than enough money for repairs. Let’s follow their lead. Canadians are known for their generosity of heart, for their inclusiveness and empathy. We should never abandon those qualities which define us throughout the world.”

Very nice statement, but completely none of her business.

It's not the place of the Human Rights Commission to make political statements on behalf of the government, which is what her statement is (it does not really cover any apparent problem with infractions to the human rights act and what the Commission intends to do about it - nor provide guidance on interpretation/application of a human right). If she wants to do that, she should get herself elected instead of appointed to a post that is supposed to independent and be above politics.

The latest?  More, next Tuesday ....
The Liberal government says it will release details next Tuesday of its plan to settle 25,000 Syrian refugees by the end of the year.

The program -- which could cost as much as $1.2 billion over the next six years -- will involve several government departments as well as the military in a co-ordinated effort to take in some of the most vulnerable people who have fled the war in Syria over the last four years.

The potential cost for the program was contained in a document obtained by The Canadian Press that says the rapid resettlement effort could require as much as $876 million this year alone.

Immigration Minister John McCallum wouldn't comment on the cash required, saying that will be part of the information coming out next week ....
:pop:

Meanwhile, this via the government's buying page - also attached if link doesn't work:
The Government of Canada is seeking interested companies that have the capacity, capability and availability to provide leasing, management and servicing of temporary winterized lodgings for groups of 500-3000 people by early December 2015at sites to be confirmed.

The purpose of this posting is to generate a list of possible suppliers that would be interested in being provided a copy of future solicitation(s) relating to the type of goods or services identified in the requirements described below.

Canada may, at its discretion, decide to only contact or solicit bids from supplier(s) that have responded to this LOI.

Requirements

General

Lodging and services for 500 – 3000 people at the same location
    Lodging and services may be required for up to 3 months
    Lodging and services must be self-contained/sustaining (on-site energy, water, sewage, waste management, recycling)

Reception Centre Area

Information centre to welcome, process and provide info to residents
    Complex management and administration work area (office space).

Lodging

Clusters of housing units to facilitate individuals and large families.
    Storage areas (number TBD)
    Shower and washroom facilities
    Drinking water availability
    Health clinic facility for up to 6 people at a time.

Management services

Catering
    Housekeeping
    Laundry Service
    Waste management
    Recycling
    Sewage processing/removal
    Wifi Access and/or computer lab with internet access (computers to be provided separately by others)
    Telephone availability and connection

(....)

Suppliers that meet the requirements above will be added to a Source List to support similar future requirements. Suppliers may be required to sign a non-disclosure agreement to be eligible for the Source List ....

Hmmm.....how do I get myself a Syrian Passport?......

Oh wait, they'll be lots lying around when they leave.......silly me.....

Oldgateboatdriver said:
So they are looking for hotels and motels in the middle of summer cottage regions.
Thinking outside the box, cruise ships could fit most of those requirements, too - never been on a cruise, so I don't know about phone connections.

I'm guessing the PWGSC contact person listed in the posting has been a pretty busy guy over the past day or so.

Vancouver real estate magnate offers up building for Syrian refugees
link: http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/british-columbia/vancouver-real-estste-developer-ian-gillespie-syrian-refugees-1.3327123

Vancouver property developer Ian Gillespie is refurbishing and furnishing a 12-unit property in the city's West End in order to provide temporary accommodations for Syrian refugees.

Gillespie, founder of Westbank Developments, has offered the building to the Immigrant Services Society to be used as first-stop housing for refugees waiting for permanent homes in B.C.

"For me, it started with what I'm best able to do," Gillespie told CBC News on Thursday.

"Some can volunteer time, donate money.… We're in the property business, so it seemed an obvious place to start."

The company did an audit, he said, and found that the unit — scheduled for demolition as part of a major redevelopment by the company — was sitting empty while waiting for city permits to come through.

Gillespie, just this week named No. 1 on Vancouver magazine's Power 50 list, called the Immigrant Services Society offering a minimum commitment of four months' use.

"I don't even think he finished his sentence before I said yes," the group's Chris Friesen told CBC News.

milnews.ca said:
Thinking outside the box, cruise ships could fit most of those requirements, too - never been on a cruise, so I don't know about phone connections.

I'm guessing the PWGSC contact person listed in the posting has been a pretty busy guy over the past day or so.

Yes, that would work. Phone is no problem while the ship is in harbour.

Two problems, though: Not a single cruise ship flies the Canadian flag and the next six months are the super high season for cruises (Northern Hemisphere winter).

"Canada's government will inevitably have to cut some corners on security screening to achieve its ambitious goal of bringing in 25,000 Syrian refugees by year-end ..."

That would be inappropriate if it turned out to be true.

As progressives are fond of pointing out, taxes are what we pay for the services we receive.

One of the services Canadians pay taxes for is to not be the victims of someone who should not be admitted to the country, but is admitted because short cuts are taken in order to satisfy the virtue posturing of those who suddenly took an interest in one particular source of refugees because a picture of a child's corpse showed up in their Facebook feeds.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back