• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

SYR Refugees to Canada (split fm SYR refugees thread)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Maybe the military will give CF members who were ordered to move a break and let them stay in other military accommodations rent free.

I really love how everyone is patting themselves on their back over the fact that we have housed refugees on military installations in the past, in some cases with little warning.  A nice feel good feeling.  What do we hear of the condition of those facilities after the refugees have left?  Very little.  Is the cost of repairs or demolition of those facilities taken into account by the people advocating housing these refugees, or is it just a afterthought that DND/CAF must make up after all is said and done?

Jarnhamar said:
Maybe the military will give CF members who were ordered to move a break and let them stay in other military accommodations rent free.

Hahaha.

They'll likely charge them for cleaning the room when they vacate, and charge to have cable/phone/internet reconnected.

PuckChaser said:
Hahaha.

They'll likely charge them for cleaning the room when they vacate, and charge to have cable/phone/internet reconnected.

Get the IRP consultants right on that.

George Wallace said:
I really love how everyone is patting themselves on their back over the fact that we have housed refugees on military installations in the past, in some cases with little warning.  A nice feel good feeling.  What do we hear of the condition of those facilities after the refugees have left?  Very little.  Is the cost of repairs or demolition of those facilities taken into account by the people advocating housing these refugees, or is it just a afterthought that DND/CAF must make up after all is said and done?
Virtue signalling by the bien pensants has little to do with the facts or the aftermath of decisions.  Stop trying to inject reality into the discussion.

Jarnhamar said:

Put them on FOA and put them up in tents.  [lol:

George Wallace said:

Let's not forget that most of the long term costs of managing and caring for these people for the next 5-10 years will be borne by the Provincial and Municipal government, who will likely not see a dime of extra funding.

George Wallace said:

They are not "the military's barracks" they are government facilities, which the government can use as they see fit.  The CDs has made it very clear that the CAF will not be the limfac in this operation - and for all of the right reasons.  How about we a) wait for the plan, b) follow direction, and c) find a little of the milk of human kindness inside our shrivelled little hearts.

There's no doubt about it the barracks will be trashed and require renovations afterwards.

If it's true that we will only be accepting families I think it's a brilliant move that will significantly reduce the security concerns so many Canadians have.

Jarnhamar said:
There's no doubt about it the barracks will be trashed and require renovations afterwards.

If it's true that we will only be accepting families I think it's a brilliant move that will significantly reduce the security concerns so many Canadians have.

It certainly reduces the odds of a breach.  Nothing is impossible but it seems like a prudent COA.

CTV News has a report, without too much in the way of official confirmation, that some soldiers, in Kingston, at least, have been given only three days' notice to clear out of some barracks.

The media will make hay, at the CF's expense, until someone gets out front with a plan.

E.R. Campbell said:
CTV News has a report, without too much in the way of official confirmation, that some soldiers, in Kingston, at least, have been given only three days' notice to clear out of some barracks.

The media will make hay, at the CF's expense, until someone gets out front with a plan.
Some people were told last Friday they had a week to move out. Myself and a bunch of others on course were just told today to be ready to move out by Wednesday. The weird thing is the refugees aren't even moving into our shacks. They're going elsewhere on the base. So the reason for us to move is silly. No clue either where we'll be moved to. It's very frustrating as the course I'm on is stressful enough with tests every few days. Now having to deal with packing all my things up on top it all is not fun.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back