• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

SYR Refugees to Canada (split fm SYR refugees thread)

Status
Not open for further replies.
So basically two premiers who possess critical-thinking skills, four who are delusional, and four who've had the political savvy to not comment yet.

BurnDoctor said:
So basically two premiers who possess critical-thinking skills, four who are delusional, and four who've had the political savvy to not comment yet.
To be entirely fair on the bit in yellow, I picked the lowest-hanging fruit stories - I could have Googled harder to get EVERY premier & territorial leader, but I didn't  ;D

And it's not just Valcartier that's seeing social media opposition to refugees - highlights mine ....
Labrador (Liberal) MP Yvonne Jones is still pushing to use facilities at 5 Wing Goose Bay to screen Syrian refugees entering Canada, and is taking on online comments that she says have crossed the line.

Jones told CBC Radio's Labrador Morning Tuesday that she understands that some residents have fears that are legitimate about her suggestion that CFB Goose Bay could help process refugees who have fled turmoil in Syria.

However, she said others are only spreading hate.

"They were just people that were very racist, very hateful in their comments," she said in an interview. 

"These are the kinds of attitudes that start wars in the first place."

Jones says that as a military community, Happy Valley-Goose Bay has a responsibility to step up when Canada is responding to crises, and that as many as 1,000 refugees could be screened through the base.

These refugees would not be permanent residents of the community, but would be processed in local facilities over a period of seven to 10 days.

This suggestion has created some backlash, however, both in the community and on the web. An online petition against using the military base as a processing centre has now garnered more than 650 names in support.

The petition says there are dangers that come with bringing refugees to the province, and that there is "no way possible to ensure who is a refugee and who might be coming with deadly intentions."

Jones said the negative comments are coming from all over the country, not just from Labrador, but comments in support of using the base greatly outweigh the negative comments online ....
Re:  that bit in yellow - really?  We'll see how that unfolds ....

Housed in local facilities? With or without security checks? Are we posting guards? The only way I want them in Canada without a background check is behind fences with concertina wire on the top. Once they pass the security screening, doors wide open.

Bear with me, folks - I'm starting to separate the "refugees to Canada" posts into a thread of its own from the "refugees from Syria" thread.

I've moved this to Canadian Politics because it sounds like it'll be more than just the military involved.

Milnet.ca Staff

milnews.ca said:
Bear with me, folks - I'm starting to separate the "refugees to Canada" posts into a thread of its own from the "refugees from Syria" thread.

I've moved this to Canadian Politics because it sounds like it'll be more than just the military involved.

Milnet.ca Staff

Good idea, thanks!

Thanks for your patience, all - back at 'er, then!  ;D

dapaterson said:
Sounds like the community doesn't want a military presence, so let's abide by their wishes and close Goose Bay.

:nod: 

Cabinet Ministers:  Stand by for "the plan" ....
Security will be at the forefront of the move to bring 25,000 Syrian refugees to Canada, Liberal ministers pledged Tuesday, promising a detailed plan to deliver on its promise will be announced in coming days.

“I think what we will do is make sure that security is at the forefront and we are in consultation with all of our security partners to make sure the we do this right,” Defence Minister Harjit Sajjan told reporters on his way out of a meeting of the cabinet committee on refugees.

“Security is paramount and we want to make sure we get it right,” said Sajjan, who avoided answering a direct question about which will take precedence – security or meeting the government’s deadline of January 1.

Sajjan’s comments came after a two-and-a-half hour meeting of the cabinet committee set up to draft the government’s plan to bring 25,000 Syrian refugees to Canada by the end of the year. Those plans may have been complicated, however, by last week’s devastating terrorist attacks in Paris by ISIS inspired attackers.

The meeting included some of Canada’s top security officials, including National Security Advisor Richard Fadden, RCMP Commissioner Bob Paulson and Chief of Defence Staff Jonathan Vance. Several officials appeared grim as they left the meeting, with Vance hurrying past reporters and refusing to answer any questions.

Liberal ministers, however, appeared much more upbeat and optimistic that a plan is only days away.

“There are an incredible number of very detailed plans that we have discussed, things are coming together nicely,” said Health Minister Jane Philpott.

“We’re going to have a very detailed plan available in the coming days that we will be making a formal announcement about. But as you can imagine there are still many details. We want to make sure that we do this right. It is a very important initiative on behalf of Canadians and we’re making sure that all the pieces are in place as they should be.”

Immigration Minister John McCallum suggested the plan might include transporting refugees to Canada immediately while the necessary checks are being carried out.

“We will welcome these refugees immediately,” McCallum responded when asked whether the 25,000 will be on Canadian soil by January 1. “There are processes under way but we will welcome them well, that is to say that we will pay due regard, total regard to issues of security and health which means we will do it rapidly but we will do it properly.” ....

Part of the (possible) plan for Ontario:  put 'em up in old hospitals ....
Ontario is considering using recently decommissioned hospitals as one way to temporarily house a large influx of Syrian refugees expected in the province before the end of the year.

While the federal government has pledged to take in 25,000 refugees by the end of December, Ontario has committed to taking in 10,000 refugees by the end of next year.

Health Minister Eric Hoskins says Ontario doesn't yet know how many Ottawa will ask the province to take before the end of the year, but Ontario is prepared to receive its "fair share."

Hoskins says Ontario may also need to take in and support some refugees on an interim basis before they move to other provinces or territories.

He and Immigration Minister Michael Chan held an ad hoc cabinet committee meeting on Syrian refugees Tuesday during which housing, education, health and social services needs were discussed.

Hoskins says while the federal government looks at housing options such as military bases, the provincial government is looking at recently decommissioned hospitals as one option — some of them in the GTA.

"We have a new Humber River Hospital, for example, that moved from three sites into one and the new Oakville Hospital will be moving out of their existing premises," Hoskins told CBC News. "I'm not saying that is what will necessarily result in one of the places for accommodation but those are the opportunities I think we need to look at."

The federal government says that military bases may provide temporary accommodations until permanent homes are secured in new communities across Canada ....

^ "We have a new Humber River Hospital, for example, that moved from three sites into one" ^

That will empty Humber Memorial, York-Finch and Northwestern.

So far there is an interesting demographic of refugee's- 72% are male.Perhaps after they are settled with a job they will send money home or send for their families,if they are legitimate refugee's.

tomahawk6 said:
So far there is an interesting demographic of refugee's- 72% are male.Perhaps after they are settled with a job they will send money home or send for their families,if they are legitimate refugee's.

That may be the demographic, but according to this article they're not the ones likely to make the cut.  The refugees being selected by Canada are to come from registered refugees in UN refugee camps primarily in Jordan, Turkey and Lebanon where they are already undergoing screening for suitability for relocation by the UNHCR.  The priority candidates it says are mothers with children, unaccompanied minors, the elderly and individuals with health issues.  The article says specifically that young, unattached males who may have been combatants or who cannot account for missing documents do not make the cut.

http://www.thestar.com/news/canada/2015/11/18/syrian-refugees-will-face-three-levels-of-intense-screening.html

Clever ISIS info op ....
The so-called Islamic State and right-leaning politicians agree on at least one thing: Muslim refugees aren’t welcome in Europe and North America.

A new propaganda video targets refugees fleeing violence – and ISIS itself – in Syria, saying these refugees won’t be welcome by “infidels” in the west.

It comes as leaders in Canada and the U.S. are calling for refugee resettlement programs to be halted.

“Why would the infidels welcome you in their country? Why would they share [with] families who left their lands and take them in?” an Arabic-speaking man asks.

“You are leaving your land for refuge to infidel countries who want you to leave your religion, the religion of Mohammad the Prophet.”

The recording was posted on YouTube Nov. 17, just four days after terrorist attacks in Paris left 129 people dead and more than 350 injured ....

Meanwhile, here's how one nordic nation is dealing with mo' refugees:
Former military camp turned into Arctic migrant center

Rajan is happy with the bed he got after three days on travel from Moscow, across Russia’s snowy Kola Peninsula towards the border to Norway. He is one of the first to be transferred to Reception Center Finnmark that opened on Wednesday.

“I don’t have a home in Nepal. I am homeless and moved to Moscow to get a job,” Rajan tells.

“In Moscow, I stayed for three months. Then I saw on TV that Norway’s border was open. It took me three days to travel,” the young Nepalese man says.

He is one of 300 migrants that have got a safe bed at the newly erected barracks at a former Home Guard camp next to the airport in Kirkenes. Officially opened by State Secretary Jøran Kallmyr in the Ministry of Justice and Public Security. Kallmyr gives little hope to many of the newly arrived migrants.

“It is obvious that many of those arriving from Russia nowadays don’t have a need for protection and therefor don’t have the right of asylum,” Jøran Kallmyr says.

“Our first priority now is to get them a roof. It is an extremely demanding situation and the staff works round-the-clock.” ....
Some of the photos from the slide show attached.

Reuters is reporting, citing unnamed sources, that "Canada's government will inevitably have to cut some corners on security screening to achieve its ambitious goal of bringing in 25,000 Syrian refugees by year-end ..." Although both Public Safety Minister Ralph Goodale and his spokesperson Josée Sirois were quoted,  those expressing "concerns" were not named, except for Rand Beers, a former deputy secretary of the U.S. Homeland Security Department.

A bit more detail - and an op name (PROVISION)- via French-language media - Google English translation below:
Current plans of the Department of National Defence provide that the Canadian Forces will provide temporary accommodation in bases in Quebec and Ontario, at first.

Other bases and locations could be used if the Canadian government planners requested it.

The Canadian Armed Forces are conducting a census of housing available in all bases and wings, in case they should be expected to lend a hand, but the details remain to be clarified.

Members who are temporarily based in Valcartier or that of Edmonton, for courses for example, could be "moved elsewhere based to free contiguous space for the refugees," said the Ministry of Defence in 45eNord .ca, which reminds that "no permanent resident Valcartier or Edmonton will be moved."

For now, no one in the different chains of command has issued a directive that Christmas leave of CAF members would be canceled. This could however be required to change depending on business need. It is clear however that the teams that will be in charge of the reception and management of refugees in the databases will be mobilized, including during the holidays, or at least will be "high availability" to respond quickly to a request if necessary . "The possibility that some have to work during the holiday season has not been ruled out," and the ministry said.

The winterization of certain places will be needed. Various options are under consideration and to enable the Canadian Forces to be ready to support this initiative. Some housing units in various Canadian Forces bases must be winterized to host refugees when they arrive on site.

The winterization of accommodation units will be particularly necessary to CFB Meaford and Borden, and preparations are underway.

Valcartier is also concerned, in particular the Cadet Camp, although the Ministry has remained silent about it. A contract of nearly $1.5 million was spent to enable a dozen dormitories to be ready. The work plan and the electricity will be resurfaced, the added heating, roof insulation and remade floor and adding ventilation.

To prepare for the arrival of refugees, three soldiers have been deployed to assist the Canadian Defence Attaché in Amman (Jordan), Ankara (Turkey) and Beirut (Lebanon). In addition, nine other soldiers were also deployed to act as liaison officers between Canada Command and Joint Operations attached to help them.

The Canadian Armed Forces continue to work with other government departments to plan and develop options to support government objectives.

Hmmm I just put this here

“project” means a physical activity that is carried out on federal lands or outside Canada in relation to a physical work and is not a designated project.

Project carried out on federal lands

67. An authority must not carry out a project on federal lands, or exercise any power or perform any duty or function conferred on it under any Act of Parliament other than this Act that could permit a project to be carried out, in whole or in part, on federal lands, unless

(a) the authority determines that the carrying out of the project is not likely to cause significant adverse environmental effects; or

(b) the authority determines that the carrying out of the project is likely to cause significant adverse environmental effects and the Governor in Council decides that those effects are justified in the circumstances under subsection 69(3).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back