• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Strange Bug Identification Help

Hurricane

Inactive
Reaction score
My friend seen a few of these while canoeing through Algonquin. Quite a strange looking creature, anyone know what it is?

PMedMoe said:

Body shape seems a little off. Lacks the distinct shield shape.

We've had crap loads of them here (Virginia) over the past year due to the lack of winter.

Side note, since we moved down here, the wife has become a bit of an insect freak (even though she's also a sever arachnophobe). She's found praying mantis, huge wolf spiders, stick insects and even a woolly caterpiller the size of her thumb.

Tell her to start a collection!!

GAP said:

Problem is, I have to play the brave hunter and put these poor creatures (Carolina Wolf Spiders) out of their misery when she comes in from walking the dogs at midnight.  :facepalm:

The other ones she just takes pictures of and posts them on Facebook.

Which may explain why we no don't get visitors form Canada. ;D

Don't stink bugs only get to be just under an inch in length? This particular bug was the size of your index finger, or approximately 3 inches. I have submitted the photo to Pest Control Canada for identification, but their process is slow.

If it's that big, it sounds like a giant water bug.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Belostomatidae

Hurricane said:
Don't stink bugs only get to be just under an inch in length? This particular bug was the size of your index finger, or approximately 3 inches. I have submitted the photo to Pest Control Canada for identification, but their process is slow.

Definitely not a stink bug then. Largest one I've seen had a body size (not including legs) about the size of your thumbnail.

GAP said:

Here are a few of the creatures that inhabited the stairwell of our building.

The Spider is a Carolina Wolf Spider. About an inch in the body.

Back