• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Pets in the CAF

K2.

Reaction score
I'm currently in the application process for the CAF, one of my biggest concerns is pets. I don't want to miss an opportunity of a lifetime
because of my dog but I also don't want to get rid of her as she is basically my kid. I've brought it up to family and they don't seem to want to help,
don't care about this big step in my life so I need to find another solution. I've seen dogs on deployment in the states but haven't come across any Canadian alternative, if anyone knows of one give me a shout. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

I'm currently in the application process for the CAF, one of my biggest concerns is pets. I don't want to miss an opportunity of a lifetime
because of my dog but I also don't want to get rid of her as she is basically my kid. I've brought it up to family and they don't seem to want to help,
don't care about this big step in my life so I need to find another solution. I've seen dogs on deployment in the states but haven't come across any Canadian alternative, if anyone knows of one give me a shout. Any help would be greatly appreciated.
You definitely don’t get to bring your dog on deployment or have them live with you in military barracks, so during your basic training. The military will make no special arrangements or dispensation for your pet’s care. You need to plan to have care arrangements for your dog, either with family or a friend who could look after the pup long term while you’re in training. Once you’re trained and posted to a base, living in an apartment or house or something, no issues.

Once you’re trained and posted to a base, living in an apartment or house or something, no issues
My Granddaughter lives off base with her dog.
I also don't want to get rid of her as she is basically my kid...
Same, Same.

But she is posted to Wainwright, so we will see.

If you can't find someone to take your dog for you you'll need to board them in a kennel for anywhere from 2 day exercises to 6+ month tours.

First year will be difficult. Best of luck.

Moving forward, however, I'd recommend you befriend other military pet masters, and commit to caring for each other's pets when the other deploys or is sent out for training. The military does tend to create a greater sense of community than most other jobs, which contributes to a sense of duty and service towards fellow brothers and sisters in arms.
Pets in the CAF would help to fill out the ranks(not so far-fetched considering the CFAT no longer required).
There have been cats on board ships in recent years.

I've seen dogs on deployment in the states but haven't come across any Canadian alternative, if anyone knows of one give me a shout. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

What dogs have you seen on deployments in the states?... Were they military police service dogs, like the ones that sniff for explosives?

Likely military working dogs or folks befriending the various strays that tend to congregate around a FOB.

If you can't find someone to take your dog for you you'll need to board them in a kennel for anywhere from 2 day exercises to 6+ month tours.
Trying to avoid that, someone did reach out to care for her so I'm not as stressed about it anymore and can focus up on my application process.. judging by the other members comments, it shouldn't be too much of a hassle :ROFLMAO: but I still want to train as hard as I can, cause I'm not one of THOOOOSE guys.

What dogs have you seen on deployments in the states?... Were they military police service dogs, like the ones that sniff for explosives?
dogsondeployment is an organization that cares for dogs while their owners are deployed.. sorry for the confusion

dogsondeployment is an organization that cares for dogs while their owners are deployed.. sorry for the confusion
This is an American organization, so it most likely will not help any Canadian Forces members.

I've seen dogs on deployment in the states but haven't come across any Canadian alternative, if anyone knows of one give me a shout.
I'm very aware, quoted my original post just so you're tracking.

Back