• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Steward: Training/the work (merged)

thanks alot for everyone's answers
it will help me make a more informed decision about my choices and future
btw, this site is a GOLDMINE
the recruiters are great too but the p.o.v's here are priceless
such expertise!
one day i hope to contribute
bye for now
thanks again..

Hey.  I was just today offered a job as a Navy Steward.  Is there anyone on the Forum that is in that trade and can tell me a bit about it?

A search for steward brought up two previous discussions:

http://forums.navy.ca/forums/threads/81846/post-786156.html#msg786156

http://forums.navy.ca/forums/threads/42365.0.html

Are there many Male Stewards?  I just got the call today and am going in that trade this coming November, after basic

chappyk said:
Are there many Male Stewards?  I just got the call today and am going in that trade this coming November, after basic

When I was last aboard a frigate there were about four, three of whom were male.  That's a tiny sample of the whole population of the trade, of course.

I haven't noticed the ratio of male / female stewards being any different than the ratio of male / female sailors overall.

Hi.  I have 2 questions about Navy Stewards, hoping someone can help.  First I was wondering if a Navy Steward can become an officer and second, what security level does a Navy Steward require?

Thanks

1. No.  However the officers stewards work for are Logistics Officers, and conversely, if you were looking at becoming an officer with stewards under you, you'd become a Logistics Officer.

2. Level 1.

Oh, okay, so maybe after I finish my degree I could look into a switch.  I wonder though if being an naval officer would require me to have proper color vision.  As is I am going to be a color blind navy steward ( good thing its okay to be color blind for this trade)

And level one ? I believe that's just confidential?

chappyk said:
Oh, okay, so maybe after I finish my degree I could look into a switch.

There are schemes in place to allow this, but by no means is it guaranteed that you would be accepted into one of them.  If what you want is to be an officer then you should look seriously at pursuing that from the beginning.

I wonder though if being an naval officer would require me to have proper color vision.  As is I am going to be a color blind navy steward ( good thing its okay to be color blind for this trade)

It may depend on the specific military occupation.  If you want to be a MARS officer (MARitime Surface and Subsurface -- the officers who navigate, control combat systems, and eventually command ships) I strongly suspect that you must have some degree of colour vision.  If you want to be an engineering or logistics officer, or some other occupation, it may be possible.  I'm not familiar with the vision requirements for the various occupations; you should ask at the recruiting centre.

And level one ? I believe that's just confidential?

Yes.  The paperwork to get it isn't especially onerous compared to Level 2 or 3.

N. McKay.  Thanks for the information.  Being color blind is the one thing that keeps me from a lot of trades.  I have wanted to be in the Navy for years now  (37 years old)  but have only been able to apply recently, and only as a Navy Steward (only open trade for me). 

May I ask how you like it in the Navy?  Do you know much about the Steward trade? especially what a Stewards role to an officer is? 

Have you seen this?

http://forces.ca/en/job/steward-81

No problem.  Steward roles vary considerably by rank.  Junior rates spend most of their time at sea providing hospitality services for the officers.  Senior rates can work directly for the Logistics Officer, taking care of Non Public Fund Accounts.  Chiefs may be eligible for postings as Departmental Coordinators or Coxswains.

Commissioning was mentioned earlier in this thread.  Steward is one of the occupations which is eligible for the Commissioning From the Ranks Program.  To become an officer under this plan one requires the rate of Petty Officer 2nd Class, 10 years of service and the CO's recommendation.  As with all commissioning plans, it is competitive and you must be selected in competition with others who apply.

agc said:
requires the rate of Petty Officer 2nd Class, 10 years of service and the CO's recommendation.

Outstanding MS may be considered as well.

As with all commissioning plans, it is competitive and you must be selected in competition with others who apply.

One does not appy for CFR. One has to be nominated by the CoC.

True, and true.  The chain of command must apply on an individual's behalf, though the individual is fairly active in most of the process.

Was just trying to keep it simple, he can burn those bridges when he gets to them.  ;)

Definitely much appreciated from everyone.  It's not the same just watching videos or reading information off the CF website rather than getting information first hand by those in the services. 

I really think that I will injoy being a Steward ( and am definitely ignoring those who have laughed or told me that a Navy Steward is a joke.) 

chappyk said:
Definitely much appreciated from everyone.  It's not the same just watching videos or reading information off the CF website rather than getting information first hand by those in the services. 

I really think that I will injoy being a Steward ( and am definitely ignoring those who have laughed or told me that a Navy Steward is a joke.)

And go figure not one of the respondents is a steward.

Back