• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Steward: Training/the work (merged)

Gotcha - thanks so much for the help!

Ill be sure to remember this link and will post when I know where I'll be going... we'll see if he was right.. LOL

HansonSherren said:
Soooooooooo I take by your response that he fed me some bullsh** and I ate it right up, huh?
How can he say that if that's not true then?  Are they allowed to "lie" .. consider me green in all of this..
if he's so confident in that statement then I should ask for it in writing.. lol

I'm such a sucker *sigh*

What to do now?

Nah, I think you're okay.  I think CA was letting a healthy loathing of all things East coast shine through.

That said, recruiters don't typically lie.  Bend the truth or pass out outdated information, perhaps, but probably not lie. 

As a steward, staying in Halifax long-term is a probability if you choose to do so.  There are opportunities for inland postings at the LS/MS and above rank levels, but they're competitive from what I'm told.  As long as you realize that you're not likely to be exercising your culinary skills as a steward (think bacon and eggs made to order), and that bookkeeping/accounting related duties are at the MS and PO2 rank as a minimum - you'll probably enjoy the job.

I'd fish for some information from serving stewards - or even pay a visit to HMCS Charlottetown on her return trip from the Great Lakes tour.  She has a stop in PEI, drive up for the day.

HansonSherren,

This is normally the way it works.

- If/when you are selected, you will be enrolled at the CFRC which processed you, and
- then you will be on a restricted move posting to CFLRS to complete BMQ.  While on BMQ you will belong to CFLRS.
- when you complete BMQ, you will then be sent to CFSAL for your QL3 course in Borden.  Be advised, there very well may be a gap in your BMQ and your QL3 at which time you will likely belong to PRETC (Post -Recruit Education Training Company, or something like that).  At PRETC you will do what tasks they have for you.  I've known people to go to PRETC for 2 months and others are there for an extended time (6+ months).
- You will then attend the QL3 course.  Usually, towards the END of your QL3, you will receive your posting message.  Until you get that posting message in your hand, you will NOT know for sure where you are going. 

In this process, while at CFSAL on your QL3 is likely when you will be asked you 3 posting preferences.  There is no guarantee that you will get posted to any of those 3, you will get posted where the CF and your Career Manager needs you in most circumstances.  Different CMs do it differently.

I doubt the recruiter will provide you with a "OS Hansonsherren is to be posted to CFB Halifax" letter.  They can't guarantee your posting.  It could easily be a year after your swearing in date that you are even complete your 3's and posted.  By then, another APS (Active Posting Season) in the CF will have come and gone, people would have been promoted, people will have released...there are so many variables that affect it all.

Also...you DO realize that as a Steward in CFB Halifax you are likely going to be posted to a ship and will sail with that ship??  Did they tell you that?  Right now, I can think of several ships that are away from their home port for upwards of 5-7 months, from Halifax.  That is not counting the West coast, which you could also be posted to (Esquimalt, right next to Victoria on Vancouver Island).

the 'upside' from the family perspective about the Navy is the ability to select your home port division (Halifax or Esquimalt) when you first get in (not sure at what point of the training) and then you usually stay in that port and move around from shore posting to the different ships in that port/division.  (Navy folks, forgive me if I am slaughtering your lingo here...)

If you applied for cook, you could very well end up here as well.  The difference between Steward and Cook is that you sound like you are a strong candidate for a QL3 bypass, meaning you could do BMQ and then go right to a posting.  They would do what is called a PLAR (Prior Learning Asessement and Recognition) with your civilian training and the QL3 course...you might very well be able to skip that training based on the PLAR results. 

Just remember, a recruiters job is to fill the open spots in the CF, and it might very well be that they need more stewards than cooks at this time so...you could be steered that way...gently.

Find out what you want to do instead of just taking what they say will keep you in Halifax.  Because NOTHING is guaranteed to keep you in Halifax, and if you are here, you WILL sail.  Single parents, married, single people...you sail with the ship you are posted to.

Something to think about.

Eye In The Sky said:
the 'upside' from the family perspective about the Navy is the ability to select your home port division (Halifax or Esquimalt) when you first get in (not sure at what point of the training) and then you usually stay in that port and move around from shore posting to the different ships in that port/division.  (Navy folks, forgive me if I am slaughtering your lingo here...)

Home port division (HPD) is assigned upon completion of QL5 training, so there's a wait of a few years before reaching that point.  As you suggested, once a HPD is assigned, it usually doesn't change unless there is a very good reason.

Eye In The Sky said:
HansonSherren,

This is normally the way it works.

- If/when you are selected, you will be enrolled at the CFRC which processed you, and
- then you will be on a restricted move posting to CFLRS to complete BMQ.  While on BMQ you will belong to CFLRS.
- when you complete BMQ, you will then be sent to CFSAL for your QL3 course in Borden.  Be advised, there very well may be a gap in your BMQ and your QL3 at which time you will likely belong to PRETC (Post -Recruit Education Training Company, or something like that).  At PRETC you will do what tasks they have for you.  I've known people to go to PRETC for 2 months and others are there for an extended time (6+ months).
- You will then attend the QL3 course.  Usually, towards the END of your QL3, you will receive your posting message.  Until you get that posting message in your hand, you will NOT know for sure where you are going. 

In this process, while at CFSAL on your QL3 is likely when you will be asked you 3 posting preferences.  There is no guarantee that you will get posted to any of those 3, you will get posted where the CF and your Career Manager needs you in most circumstances.  Different CMs do it differently.

I doubt the recruiter will provide you with a "OS Hansonsherren is to be posted to CFB Halifax" letter.  They can't guarantee your posting.  It could easily be a year after your swearing in date that you are even complete your 3's and posted.  By then, another APS (Active Posting Season) in the CF will have come and gone, people would have been promoted, people will have released...there are so many variables that affect it all.

Also...you DO realize that as a Steward in CFB Halifax you are likely going to be posted to a ship and will sail with that ship??  Did they tell you that?  Right now, I can think of several ships that are away from their home port for upwards of 5-7 months, from Halifax.  That is not counting the West coast, which you could also be posted to (Esquimalt, right next to Victoria on Vancouver Island).

If you applied for cook, you could very well end up here as well.  The difference between Steward and Cook is that you sound like you are a strong candidate for a QL3 bypass, meaning you could do BMQ and then go right to a posting.  They would do what is called a PLAR (Prior Learning Asessement and Recognition) with your civilian training and the QL3 course...you might very well be able to skip that training based on the PLAR results. 

Just remember, a recruiters job is to fill the open spots in the CF, and it might very well be that they need more stewards than cooks at this time so...you could be steered that way...gently.

Find out what you want to do instead of just taking what they say will keep you in Halifax.  Because NOTHING is guaranteed to keep you in Halifax, and if you are here, you WILL sail.  Single parents, married, single people...you sail with the ship you are posted to.

Something to think about.

Thanks so much for your long post - I really appreciate the time you put into doing that for me.. I was/am certainly aware of everything you stated..

I do eventually want a land posting (if that's what you call it :D) and I know I definitely will have to serve my time and it will take a long time to get it, but that's my goal and I will do everything it takes to get there.. I know it can take years..

I DO know I will HAVE to go on ship.. I was told though that it's no longer than 6 months away - but half way through I can come home for a week .. that's fine - I mean obviously I don't want to be away from my children for so long, but in the long run, it's worth it.

And lastly, to stick up for the recruiter, he was actually trying to persuade me to join as a cook - not a steward - due to my training.. I was the one that had to tell him "no.. seriously.. steward is fine.. " and he checked with me 3 times.. I think he really wanted me for a cook!! 

Thanks everyone for your responses... I'm 99% confident I'm making the right decision - and I can fry up a mean set of eggs :D lol

I don't mind at all...19 years ago, I was getting in, I got mislead alittle bit so...as long as you're sure, that is what counts.

Halifax is a great posting IMO.  There is a ton of stuff to see/do, something on the go all the time, great location geographically and it is a PLDA too (PLD Area, meaning you get extra $ each month due to the cost of living here).  Currently PLD allowance is $634, but don't bank on that money or count it into your income, as the amount of PLD is adjusted annually.  Next year, it could be the same, could be less, could be more, or could be none.  If you can't afford to buy a house, there are decent PMQs in Shearwater (Myself, I'd stay away from the Halifax ones if you have a young family).

But...for a young OS/AB, if the PLD is still the same, it sure helps during the first few years until you make Leading Seaman rank.

Good luck with the training and getting your Halifax posting...its not a huge stretch to think you will end up here as a Steward but...like I said, until you have that posting message...

Occam said:
Nah, I think you're okay.  I think CA was letting a healthy loathing of all things East coast shine through.

As much as a indeed loath the East coast, my comment reflects the fact that when i joined the CF, the Sgt that sold me field engineer told me with absolute certainty that i would not be digging in like the infantry or do any of that combat arms stuff. He told me that i would be posted to Valcartier for certain as i was franco and that they dont post francos outside la belle province.

That worked out........not !

CDN Aviator said:
As much as a indeed loath the East coast, my comment reflects the fact that when i joined the CF, the Sgt that sold me field engineer told me with absolute certainty that i would not be digging in like the infantry or do any of that combat arms stuff. He told me that i would be posted to Valcartier for certain as i was franco and that they dont post francos outside la belle province.

That worked out........not !

OUCH!

Why do you loathe the East coast?! 

HansonSherren said:
Why do you loathe the East coast?! 

Its a long-running love/hate relationship and i wont derail this thread further or bore you with the details.

Halifax is a nice city to visit for a few nights however  ;D

CDN Aviator said:
Its a long-running love/hate relationship and i wont derail this thread further or bore you with the details.

Halifax is a nice city to visit for a few nights however  ;D

LOL I well I was born in Hali so I'm a bit partial - but yet I've never lived there (I'm in NB).. just visited once or twice ... If your curious as to how I was born there yet never lived there, dad was in the RCMP and was only there until I was 3 so considering I can't remember anything (naturally) I don't classify that as me living there.. LOL

HansonSherren said:
Hi there - yes, I am a chef, but I am also married with 2 kids.  The recruiter told me that if I went as a cook, then I could be put ANYWHERE and also moved around alot - that's not the kind of life I want for my children.

No matter what trade you are, there is the potential to be "moved around alot".  If that is not the kind of life you want for your children, you may want to consider joining the Reserves instead of the Reg F.  Just a thought, if moving is not what you had in mind when planning to join.

PMedMoe said:
No matter what trade you are, there is the potential to be "moved around alot".  If that is not the kind of life you want for your children, you may want to consider joining the Reserves instead of the Reg F.  Just a thought, if moving is not what you had in mind when planning to join.

Being in the Navy it's just either Halifax or Esquimalt, right?  And I was told by many that once I'm somewhere I would more than likely stay there.  Reserves is just not for me - not what I want at all.  If I have to keep moving - so be it, but I don't really see that happening. 

HansonSherren said:
Being in the Navy it's just either Halifax or Esquimalt, right? . 

Wrong.

Here, on an Air Force base, we have 4 Stewards posted. One PO1, one PO2, one MS and one LS. We have a Navy INT Op here as well. There are Navy folks working in Ottawa ( NDHQ, CFEWC, etc....) and many other places depending on their trade.

CDN Aviator said:
Wrong.

Here, on an Air Force base, we have 4 Stewards posted. One PO1, one PO2, one MS and one LS. We have a Navy INT Op here as well. There are Navy folks working in Ottawa ( NDHQ, CFEWC, etc....) and many other places depending on their trade.

OK well I was told by 2 recruiters that joining as a steward in the Navy I could only be posted at Halifax or BC.. no where else. 
I think I'll be calling them to have a chat then.  I keep getting different info from everyone and my head is spinning.. I'm going to stop posting here and just listen to what the recruiters are saying.

Someone lock this up please. 

HansonSherren said:
I'm going to stop posting here and just listen to what the recruiters are saying.

Alright. Good luck. I will go tell the stewards here that they are obviously not stewards.

CDN Aviator said:
Alright. Good luck. I will go tell the stewards here that they are obviously not stewards.

Another reason for me to go - that ISN'T what I had just send OR implied.

HansonSherren said:
I'm going to stop posting here and just listen to what the recruiters are saying.

Someone lock this up please. 

As you wish, but don't come back in six months and say you weren't warned ;). It's always best to learn by experience. ;D

Good luck.

Locked as requested.

Milnet.ca Staff

Hello, I have used the search function and to quote Bono, 'I still havn't found what I'm looking for'

I have an idea of what being a steward entails ie: the information the recruiting site offers, the video etc..having a background in the hospitality industry from hostess, waitress to supervisor I have no doubt that I can do the job, and well at that, however I would really like some insight into the trade.
if there are any stewards on this site I would appreciate a 'day in the life of..' type response
ie: what are the shifts like onboard ship? along side? at base?
do stewards preform deckhand type duties? stand watches? can they be a member of the naval boarding party?
do stewards do salty laundry or just clean officer rooms?
what is the OJT like?
regarding the first aid training, how long before one can apply to be trained .er, to train?

oh yes and it's not listed on the forces sight under training, but do stewards go through the Naval Environmental Training at Fleet School in order to get posted to a ship?

Any honest information (not a sugar coated description) about this trade would be greatly appreciated.
serving members who are not a steward but know about the trade feel free to respond as well

ah thank you..

A search for Steward, Training brought up a 6 page discussion on these questions in New to the Navy.

: what are the shifts like onboard ship? along side? at base?
Chances are you would be a day worker when we sail, which means the evening is basically hours unless something is going on. On base, like any other military establishment you would be working 0730-1600. Sometimes longer or shorter depending on what is going on.

do stewards preform deckhand type duties? stand watches? can they be a member of the naval boarding party?
For the most part no but if required you will be asked to help out. At sea see above, alongside you will be required to stand duty watches. Yes

do stewards do salty laundry or just clean officer rooms?
Depends on your ship and what the Senior Steward decides you want to do. On a ship its cabins not rooms.

what is the OJT like?
no idea

regarding the first aid training, how long before one can apply to be trained .er, to train?
As a steward you are part of the Casulaty Clearing Organization so prior to you coming aboard you will already be trained.

but do stewards go through the Naval Environmental Training at Fleet School in order to get posted to a ship?
They should its for your safety as well as your shipmates. So before you sail you should have it.

Back