• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Steward: Training/the work (merged)

I had to make the post gender neutral, I don't know what kind of drinks she likes!

OS J, enjoy your 3s, and make the best of your time in Esq.  I might run into you out here.
(By the way, I think I may have run into you in Borden in Nov)

Forgive me if this is posted elsewhere but I already spent 1 hr searching for this and found no information.    ???

The Steward course - is that done in Borden or Halifax?  One recruiter told me Borden, the other said Halifax..

And if you know how long the course is, that helps too - I think they told me 8 weeks?

I handed in my papers yesterday.. just waiting now :D

Thanks!

Just looking at the latest copy of the QSP and "The duration of this course is 61 days...", so roughly 12 weeks. And from what I can tell, it is only conducted in CFSAL Borden.

Forgive me for interjecting with what might be a silly question, but after taking a look at the few posts you have, you had mentioned that you were already a trained chef and that you were considering becoming a cook.

Can I ask why you're now enrolling as a Steward?  Did you choose that for a particular reason, or did the recruiting staff steer you in that direction?  Seems like you're foregoing a possible skilled entry, if you ask me.

Stewards do some fancy things with food but as a new OD you will be changing officers sheets  more often than making fancy things.

Occam said:
Forgive me for interjecting with what might be a silly question, but after taking a look at the few posts you have, you had mentioned that you were already a trained chef and that you were considering becoming a cook.

Can I ask why you're now enrolling as a Steward?  Did you choose that for a particular reason, or did the recruiting staff steer you in that direction?  Seems like you're foregoing a possible skilled entry, if you ask me.

Hi there - yes, I am a chef, but I am also married with 2 kids.  The recruiter told me that if I went as a cook, then I could be put ANYWHERE and also moved around alot - that's not the kind of life I want for my children.  So it was a hard decision to make, but my other passion DOES involve accounting, book keeping - that sort of thing.. and I don't mind cleaning - I LOVE to clean.. LOL.. so having a home base as Halifax for certain is what matters most I guess.  I hope all of that made sense..

Also - thanks for the info on the course!  I figured it was Borden ... I think maybe the recruiter was talking about my sea training that is after the Steward course... I think he said that was for 2 weeks in Halifax?  LOL There is SO much information floating around in this peanut!

But (outside looking in here) is not a steward going to be on tastings, various other bases, etc.....I don't think there is any guarantee of Halifax and only Halifax....

GAP said:
But (outside looking in here) is not a steward going to be on tastings, various other bases, etc.....I don't think there is any guarantee of Halifax and only Halifax....

From what I was told from the recruiter - being a steward in the Navy, you can only be at Halifax or Esquimalt - on the ships.. after a few years (and by a few he meant like 7) - if I was REALLY good, then I could have a chance at getting a position on base instead of going out on the ships.  And to quote the recruiter I asked him point blank "What are my chances at getting Halifax" (I live in NB) - he said and I quote "To keep you happy - they will give you Halifax" .. I'm not making any of this up.

HansonSherren said:
And I don't even know what you mean by this line.. sorry.. lol

Going on ships, etc.....(that should be taskings not tastings.....so much for spellcheck if you don't read what you select.. ::) )

CDN Aviator said:
:rofl:

Funniest line......ever.

Soooooooooo I take by your response that he fed me some bullsh** and I ate it right up, huh?
How can he say that if that's not true then?  Are they allowed to "lie" .. consider me green in all of this..
if he's so confident in that statement then I should ask for it in writing.. lol

I'm such a sucker *sigh*

What to do now?

Oh no one is saying he "Lied" were just skeptical.... I know many a person who has been told certain things by the Recruiter only to find out that those statements were not intirely accurate...

Ok PC explination out of the way...You he said what you wanted to her to get you to sign on the dotted line

BulletMagnet said:
Oh no one is saying he "Lied" were just skeptical.... I know many a person who has been told certain things by the Recruiter only to find out that those statements were not intirely accurate...

Ok PC explination out of the way...You he said what you wanted to her to get you to sign on the dotted line

LOL thanks.. here's hoping he's right!

But... I haven't signed anything yet.. I still have my interview to do....
Should I ask him to get that in writing - that I would go to Hali - or would that look bad on me.. lol

The Recruiter does not control where you will posted so you can get anything you want in writing from him but it wont mean a darn thing.

Back