• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Steward: Training/the work (merged)

tasop_999 said:
Sorry Collin T, the watch system for SONAROPS and all the others is the same, but there is a slight error in the timings that navymich gave.  West coast 1 in 2 runs 0730 to 1230, 1230 to 1730, 1730 to 0030 and 0030 to 0730.  I know this is not what is in SSOs, but this is what every ship I sailed on was doing, and there were three of them.

and then there's my ship, where the sonar ops run from 0750 to 1250, 1250 to 1750, 1750 to 0050, and 0050 to 0750...

all in an effort to maximize cleaning station times of course, which is what we'd rather do than sleep :p

When I was sailing on Gatineau on the back watch, we used to get relieved at about 1720 so we could still grab supper and get to bed earlier.  Until the cooks caught on and nixed that.  Was nice while it lasted though!  I wasn't that fond of going to bed after a big meal anyway, so after it changed and we had to wait until later to eat, I'd just make myself a toasted PB sangy, get my cleaning stations done quickly and off to my rack.

Note: for those that aren't aware of meal times on ships, supper is served at 1700-1730 and then again from 1800-1830.  This is to cover people on all watches.  The watch I was standing should have been eating at 1800.  It was much nicer to eat earlier instead of standing around waiting and wasting good rack time.

0600-1200  1200-1800  1800-0000 0000-0600  Best rotation going.. 1 in 2 on subs............  and those times are firm none of this showing up 30 mins prior for turnover crap...............

Sub_Guy said:
0600-1200  1200-1800  1800-0000 0000-0600   Best rotation going.. 1 in 2 on subs............  and those times are firm none of this showing up 30 mins prior for turnover crap...............

You're on duty 12 hours a day on subs? Wow, I sure am glad the Victorias can't stay at sea for terribly long! But then again, what can you do to spend time on a sub?

Frederik G said:
You're on duty 12 hours a day on subs? Wow, I sure am glad the Victorias can't stay at sea for terribly long! But then again, what can you do to spend time on a sub?

Actually Fred, it is on WATCH.  And if you read the previous posts, all ships are like that, not just the subs.  The only ones you will find different are the MCDVs and that is because they stand 1 in 3.  With standing watches like that, your spare time is spent eating and sleeping most times.  The 1 in 2 rotation actually becomes easier the longer you are in it, or so I found.  You get yourself in a nice routine, and get used to the hours and therefore can work on less sleep and get some down time in without sleeping through it all.

navymich said:
Actually Fred, it is on WATCH.  And if you read the previous posts, all ships are like that, not just the subs.  The only ones you will find different are the MCDVs and that is because they stand 1 in 3.  With standing watches like that, your spare time is spent eating and sleeping most times.  The 1 in 2 rotation actually becomes easier the longer you are in it, or so I found.  You get yourself in a nice routine, and get used to the hours and therefore can work on less sleep and get some down time in without sleeping through it all.

See? This is what happens when your environment is so totally army-centric they don't understand we have three services!

Anyways, I'm at RMC, I'm getting used to getting by with little to no sleep, and eating and sleeping most of the time. I just need to black out my window, move my schedule around to fit the watch rotation, and it'll be just like being at sea! :p

Good thing you are at RMC Fred.  I'm sure you have enough moments where you sit there and rock back and forth.  That'll prepare you for going to sea too!  ;D

But seriously (because I can be sometimes!!), this is a great forum to ask your questions about your new life.  So feel free, ask away!

navymich said:
Good thing you are at RMC Fred.  I'm sure you have enough moments where you sit there and rock back and forth.  That'll prepare you for going to sea too!  ;D

But seriously (because I can be sometimes!!), this is a great forum to ask your questions about your new life.  So feel free, ask away!

I don't think you realize how much energy that requires, lady!

So, questions... is the food any good on 'em tubs? (Well, except for the MCDVs, I'm told NCdts have to cook...)

Which is better: top or bottom bunk?

I know enlisted folks get very little space, but do junior officers fare any better? Do we at least get some semblance of a desk/working space?

Oh, and is there any way of negociating them damn doors without tripping or looking like an idiot? And just how do you go down gracefully through the hatches? It seems every time I had to go through one I looked like a dork. (Pre-emptive strike: a bigger dork than usual.)

And I don't think you can ever be serious, Mrs "I'm too good for the Navy." :p

Food: NCdt's don't cook on the MCDV.  In fact, I don't even want to know the last time I even saw a NCdt on the MCDVs.  The food on the MCDVs is dependent on the cooks.  There are usually 3 onboard, with the Sr. Cook as a PO2.  If they are good cooks, efficient and strong leaders, then the food overall will be great.  I have just come off a ship where it was amazing!!  From my time on the Reg Force ships, it was good as well.  With having a couple different choices, even a picky eater (such as myself!) can find enough to satisfy them.  If not, there is always PB sangies!!

Bunks: I prefer the top bunk. You get that extra bit of headroom and nobody sticking their toes into your gut as they climb out of their own racks.  Nobody ever seems to want the top ones either, so they are typically easy to get.  It's definitely worth the climb.

Space:  Sorry, can't speak for the Reg Force ships.  Can someone else answer that?  On the MCDVs, there is a desk/work area in about half of the cabins, so the HODs and SHODs will typically be bunked in them.  You will also find the officers working at the table in the wardroom during the day.

Doors/Hatches/Ladders:  It comes with practice.  Duck your head and lift your feet for the doors and hatches.  And the ladders will become easier over time until you're flying up and down them.  Just give it time.

As for being serious, what I AM serious about is my military career, wherever it may take me.  Be it my 15+ years in the Navy (which I'll never forget) or my future with my CT.

I have to say, developing a taste for PB Sangys is a real must at times LOL. The food is usually quite good, but, like mich says, it really depends on who your cooks are. I recall one day having BLT's as the first choice and Sandwiches as the second choice... it didn't take too long for someone to say "A BLT is a F***ing Sandwich!". While the resultant laughter brought up morale, the food certainly didn't.

navymich said:
Space:  Sorry, can't speak for the Reg Force ships.  Can someone else answer that?  On the MCDVs, there is a desk/work area in about half of the cabins, so the HODs and SHODs will typically be bunked in them.  You will also find the officers working at the table in the wardroom during the day.

Depends entirely on the ship, class of ship, how many crew are currently embarked, and the gender of current crew and trainees as well.  In a  perfect world (from a NCdt point of view that is) the ship is not fully manned, has extra cabin space avail for M/F and the youngster scores an officer's cabin. (likely a quad in a 280, 6-8 in a FFH, or a double in a tanker).  Of course nothing is perfect, so it is most likely that the NCdt will find himself in a mess deck aft with the NCOs.  The actual allocation will depend on how many of them there are, and how many people have to move to accomodate the young gentlemen.  If the NCdt is a young lady, then they will probably be berthed with what ever female mess decks have space avail.
It really does depend on a lot of factors, but you get the idea. 
Fred, I would prepare to bunk three high in an after mess deck if I were you.  Bunk preference is strictly personal, and you may not have much choice ....
good luck

Rhibwolf said:
Fred, I would prepare to bunk three high in an after mess deck if I were you.  Bunk preference is strictly personal, and you may not have much choice ....
good luck

Obviously as an NCdt I'll be lucky to get a hammock in the engine room, (if not an inflatable mattress on the flight deck) but my question was more about what to expect once I graduate RMC and get sent on an active vessel.

Thanks for the answer, though.

Oh, well that's different.  If you get on a ship with ideal conditions, you will most likely end up in a subbie cabin (4-6 of you)  However, if you embark CTG Staff, or Sea Training, or if you happen to be sailing with lots of other officers, refer to my last post.
See you at sea,
Yours, Aye

Back again..

This time Im done training! Woo hoo! Well folks , I am currently enjoying leave in Shilo funny as that may be. I am posted to Borden for training until April 5th 07. They had me in lovley PRETC for 2 weeks which I hear im pretty lucky to have so little. I go back for about aweek then my QL3 for Steward / 862 begins Jan 15th. Im very excited to get into training where I know I ' belong '. Yeah , Basic wasn't the best  :-\ But I still have a positive attitude towards my trades training. If anyone has anything about the QL3 I am about embark please message. I imagine Ill be sent out to Esquimalt  or so I hope , not sure when we find out where we are going afterwards and do we even get the option?  I hope so. Anyways , anything on NETP and what to expect , anything on  Victoria / Esquimalt and extra curriculars would be great.

Thanks tons.

osjesso

Lots on the board here about NETP.  I don't think there is a straight thread on it, but it is mixed in with lots of other stuff, so a search is best to get the odds and ends on it.

As for Victoria, check out some of these links: http://www.vancouverisland.com/, http://www.victoria.ca/common/index.shtml and http://www.tourismvictoria.com/

For a bit about base life: http://forums.army.ca/forums/threads/47873.0/all.html

And for some other local info, the MFRC will help get you started: http://www.esquimaltmfrc.com/home.html

Thread cleaned up and re-opened......keepit on track please folks, than you.

osjesso said:
Now bash on with the good Navy news  :)

It's all, okay maybe mostly good anyway.  Even though I am not officially a sailor anymore, I will still be one at heart for a long time to come.  You have the not-so-good times, like duty watches and not knowing your sailing schedule, and cleaning stations, and workups.  But the camaraderie, the sailing itself, the experiences....it is a great life.

But focus first on your 3's course.  You will be out west soon enough, and doing your NETP.  Then off to ship to experience everything first hand.  :D

It's all worth it when you are sitting in Brisbane drinking VB, or sipping on a Lava Flow at Duke's in Hawaii......

BUT it takes a while to get there by boat!  I would much rather fly there.

Back