• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Status on Victoria-class Submarines?

Lex Parsimoniae said:
VICTORIA conducted a series of Camber Dives as part of post-refit trials two weeks ago.  A Camber Dive involves a controlled dive within the harbour to allow submerged testing of various systems. The Harbour Acceptance Trials (HATs) included: Camber Dive (general shake-down and testing of boat systems); Stability Experiment Trim & Incline (to verify ballasting); and Torpedo Shape Discharges.  Photos available at https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set=a.268962473137768.74516.112082765492407&type=1

Any reason why the dives were done right next to the fueling jetty?

Not sure which is fueling jetty but the most northwest dock which is also close to the fuel tanks appears to be the deepest part (If ever so slightly) of the harbour docks going from 10-12m by the chart. also likely a clean uniform soft bottom would be required. The harbour bottom is pretty constant at 10-12m until you get close to the entrance.

I'm a little curious about a prior post in this thread on the Collins class.  I viewed an online Australian news clip from earlier this year on their plans and the RAN seems to be in a very similar situation as Canada.  The recent competition for the National Shipbuilding Strategy seems to omit future subs.  Are there any plans being developed for an eventual replacement of the Victorias?  Wouldn't the Collins replacement project be a perfect opportunity for a partnership for Canada?

cartwright said:
  The recent competition for the National Shipbuilding Strategy seems to omit future subs.

Of course it did. Try and find a single shipyard in Canada that has the capability and expertise to build one.

CDN Aviator

Thanks for the response.  I didn't realize that the refits being performed in Victoria weren't enough of a starting point for developing the ability to build.  So no matter which way we go, new subs will need to be built offshore?  Are our requirements similar enough to those of Australia that at least we could benefit from collaborating on a common design?  I read somewhere that they we getting input from the US.

Cartwright:

You may have read recently that our Defence Minister was down under to meet with his counterpart. They agreed on greater collaboration in the future, including in material acquisition matters. While we are both involved in the F-35 programs, the press release appeared to be broader.

I know that the Australians have already started working towards the next boats that will replace their Collins class about the same time our Victoria's are due for replacement. Since Australia and Canada have requirements for their submarine that are different than those currently produced by most submarine builders (a long range patrol boat - not coastal or short legs one - and either AIP or diesel - not nuke) except maybe Japan, who does not export its boats, I am pretty confident that this is one field that will see collaboration in the near future.

I see CBC National is speculating that the Cons will divest the Navy of the subs....basic argument given 

750 M. purchase
1.2 B. refit
1 B. more to go

GAP said:
I see CBC National is speculating that the Cons will divest the Navy of the subs....basic argument given 

750 M. purchase
1.2 B. refit
1 B. more to go

For those of you interested in the story (it's a video). http://www.cbc.ca/video/#/News/1221258968/ID=2161330279

Now with a very brief article.

The federal government is considering mothballing some or all of its four British-made submarines, CBC News has learned.

But the diesel-electric submarines, which are all out of service, could possibly be replaced with a nuclear fleet.

Defence Minister Peter MacKay recently hinted that Canada may be in the market for nuclear submarines.
http://www.cbc.ca/news/politics/story/2011/10/27/submarines-british-nuclear.html

Two subs will be fully operating by late 2012, top sailor pledges
By Steven Chase
http://www.theglobeandmail.com/news/politics/two-subs-will-be-fully-operating-by-late-2012-top-sailor-pledges/article2218384/
In the face of hard questions from the Harper government about Canada’s problem-plagued submarines, the navy’s top sailor is pledging fully operating boats will be on the East and West Coasts by the second half of 2012.

This would be a breakthrough of sorts for the subs that Canada bought from Britain in 1998 – which for more than a decade have fallen exceedingly short of expectations.

“That will give us, for the first time, what we’ve always wanted to achieve … high readiness submarines operating on both coasts,” Vice-Admiral Paul Maddison said in an interview.

“We are now at the end of a long beginning,” the top sailor said.

As it tries to decide where to chop in an era of restraint, sources say the Conservative government has been pressing the Canadian Forces on when its troubled submarine program will turn the corner.

Vice-Adm. Maddison said the HMCS Chicoutimi will finally reach what he calls a “steady state” by 2013, when a third sub comes out of maintenance and can function as a “swing boat” to be moved where needed.

The subs were bought from Britain in 1998 for $750-million, but have spent many intervening years in repair yards. The bill for fixing them has been estimated at more than $1-billion.

The naval commander on Friday acknowledged Canadians’ “frustration and impatience” about the subs’ record so far, saying there’s “no more frustrated a person than I.”

He said the navy overpromised on deadlines and underestimated the challenges of getting the subs ready for operation in Canada. For instance, he noted, the military had to scramble to find parts suppliers for the Victoria-Class submarines.

One of the boats, HMCS Chicoutimi, caught fire on its maiden voyage to Canada from Britain, killing one sailor and injuring others. It’s due to come out of the repair shop in 2013.

There’s been speculation the Harper government might axe the diesel-electric subs altogether, but Vice-Adm. Maddison said he doesn’t envision Ottawa dropping the boats from its defence plans.

“I don’t see any messages coming from Canadians or from the government of Canada that would suggest the Canada First defence strategy will go in any direction that does not include a robust undersea submarine-enabled capability for the Canadian Forces.”

The naval commander said HMCS Victoria will be in full readiness on the West Coast in early 2012, including all weapons, and certified to fire the Mark 48 heavyweight torpedo. About six months after that, he said, HMCS Windsor should reach the same level of capability on the East Coast.

Vice-Adm. Maddison said shuttering the sub program would create a gaping hole in Canada’s ability to maintain an undersea presence.

“If we lose the Victoria Class, then I would be really concerned about how we would able to regenerate a submarine capability in Canada,” he said.

He said his 300 submariners have learned unique skills that require real-life practice to keep up. “It’s more akin to flying the [space] shuttle than driving a warship.”

Vice-Adm. Maddison said the subs have logged more than 900 days at sea since being bought, including operations in the Arctic and in southern waters tracking drug traffickers.

The top sailor predicts there will be greater demand for the navy in the future.

“Looking at the proliferation of submarines around the world, there’s about 450 subs out there right now, [in] well over 45 nations,” he said. “Ocean politics are becoming more and more intense.”

With a decade, Canada will have to start making plans for new subs. The current boats, which incur up to $300-million a year in operating and maintenance costs, reach the end of their lifespan by 2030.

Hugh Segal, a Conservative senator and a major supporter of the navy, said Canada should keep an eye out for submarine bargains.

“Should fleet reductions in other contemporary allied navies produce opportunities in operational submarines that were price competitive, I would hope the government and navy would keep an open mind,” he said.

900 days for 4 subs over 12 years is not exactly a lot of sea time. ::)

This should be an interesting report to watch (video clip in link):

http://www.ctv.ca/CTVNews/TopStories/20111111/w5-deep-sea-dud-111112/

"W5 Investigates Canada's floundering submarine fleet

Steve Bandera, W5
Date: Sat. Nov. 12 2011 6:56 PM ET
Canada's navy is promising its Victoria-class submarines will by fully operational by 2013 -- nearly 15 years after the boats were purchased from the United Kingdom.

Speaking with W5's Lloyd Robertson on Oct. 28, navy commander Vice Admiral Paul Maddison said he understands Canadians' frustration with the submarine program.

"I understand why they would feel impatient. I ask all Canadians for patience. We are at the end of a long beginning," Maddison said.

Nearly $1 billion was paid for the boats, and another billion spent on their "Canadianization," including modification of torpedo systems and unplanned repairs necessitated by accidents such as the 2004 fire aboard HMCS Chicoutimi that took the life of Lieut. Chris Saunders.

Canadian taxpayers can expect to spend an additional $1.5 billion on these submarines, according to Senator Colin Kenny, who has served on numerous parliamentary defence committees in Canada and NATO. Kenny believes Canada should jump ship on these subs.

"With this particular class we're sending good money after bad," Kenny said. "As a Canadian taxpayer I don't want us to waste any more money on a platform we're only getting to use a few days a year. It simply doesn't make any sense."

In the last decade, the four boats have been operational for less than 1,000 days, combined. If you do that math, that's out of an available 14,600 possible days the boats could have been at sea.

Maddison insists they will be fully operational and weapons-capable by 2013, with one submarine on each coast, a third "swing boat" and the fourth in deep maintenance.

Some critics think that Canada doesn't need any submarines at all.

"I think the days of Canada's submarine fleet are over," said Steven Staples, president of the Ottawa-based research group Rideau Institute that advocates cuts to military spending.

"If we're going to defend ourselves or monitor other submarines, we can do that from helicopters," Staples said. "We can do that from surface ships, from aircraft using sono-buoys. Some of our satellite technology can monitor submarines. (The) submarines we have can't even go under the Arctic ice."

The Commander of Canada's navy disagrees. He says that a submarine's defence capability is in its power to deter. And at least one of the submarines will test-fire a torpedo in 2012.

"Canada's a maritime nation," explained Maddison. "The economy floats. And when there are pressures, by piracy, by illegal activity, by regional conflict, if Canada's going to stand alongside our allies and make a difference, we will need submarines."

Transpolar route to become more important

Forty-five nations currently operate at total of 450 submarines around the world, according to Maddison. Retired submariner and former navy commander Vice Admiral Bruce Maclean estimates that another 150 submarines worth about $100 billion will be built in the next decade.

"In the twenties, thirties, forties and fifties we may actually see a transpolar route across an ice-free North Pole as the preferred transoceanic highway for goods at sea. It will make the Arctic even more important in terms of Canadian national interest," Maddison said.

By the late 2020s the current Victoria-class submarines will require replacing, said Maddison. Senator Kenny, thinks that instead of waiting Canada should replace the Victoria-class with new diesel-electric submarines as soon as possible.

"The nuclear submarines that the Americans or Brits use are much more noisy," Kenny said, adding that the Victoria submarines are "past their best before due date."

Kenny said Canada should consider licensing the design of a submarine from a European country, like Germany, and have six to eight of them built in Canada, a process that will take five to seven years before new subs could be added to the fleet.

But the navy is proceeding full steam ahead with trying to get the Victoria-class subs into service, presumably with the government's blessing.

"There is no indication, that I have seen, that there is any desire to do away with the Victoria class," Maddison said.

He has a more pressing problem to deal with.

In September, Maddison commissioned a "submarine capability study" whose final report is due at the end of the month. The study's convening order, a copy of which was obtained by W5, states that "force generation of qualified, experienced personnel to crew the submarines remains a challenge." Translation: the Canadian Navy needs more submariners.

"I will need at least 380 qualified submariners, ideally about 430. Right now I've got about 300," Maddison admitted.

"Once we get those boats running, success will beget success. We'll attract more Canadians into the submarine service and that will be good," Maddison assured W5."

I'm very surprised that the Navy can't get more volunteers to go on the boats, its known to be a jammy go and its not like they sail that much.

I've talked to submariners about it and mentioned to them that I want to volunteer for sub training, and the response is usually "That's great, but you need to be HOD qualified first." I guess I'll have to wait a few more years first then...  :facepalm:

Chief Stoker said:
I'm very surprised that the Navy can't get more volunteers to go on the boats, its known to be a jammy go and its not like they sail that much.
Call MOG 5 and I'm sure they can get you loaded on your BSQ!

MSEng314 said:
I've talked to submariners about it and mentioned to them that I want to volunteer for sub training, and the response is usually "That's great, but you need to be HOD qualified first." I guess I'll have to wait a few more years first then...  :facepalm:

How exactly are they fixed for officers anyways? Talk to you CM, I assume he would be the one sending you there.

Lex Parsimoniae said:
Call MOG 5 and I'm sure they can get you loaded on your BSQ!

Sorry i'm too old and have too much self respect ;D. The fact being a lot of surface personnel just do not want to sail on those boats, some of it because of their less than stellar safety record and all the bad press.Some of the submariners are there because they know they don't have to sail much and I heard them brag about it as much. There is a lot of resentment towards them throughout the fleet. Are the reasons valid? I guess time will tell but its doesn't help much when there is a constant list of negative things about the Upholder class in the media. Eventually there will be forced to send more personnel there and they won't be volunteers either.

Chief Stoker said:
How exactly are they fixed for officers anyways? Talk to you CM, I assume he would be the one sending you there.

They aren't the worst off compared to some trades, and subs only have two engineers; the EO and the CSEO, which is why they want you to be HOD qualified first. I plan on talking to my career manager about it when I see him, I figure if I'm going to a shore posting next fall anyways, I thought I could do BSQ while I'm waiting to go back to sea to get my HOD qual, and then go to a sub right after that. But it depends on what they want, and of course needs of the service first, so I'll just focus on my current posting for the time being.

Chief Stoker said:
Sorry i'm too old and have too much self respect ;D. The fact being a lot of personnel just do not want to sail on those boats, some of it because of their less than stellar safety record and all the bad press.Some are there because they know they don't have to sail much. There is a lot of resentment towards them throughout the fleet. Are the reasons valid? I guess time will tell but its doesn't help much when there is a constant list of negative things about the Upholder class in the media. Eventually there will be forced to send more personnel there and they won't be volunteers either.
It's not for everybody for sure.  The large amounts of sea days compared to the surface fleet (getting worse with HCM), lack of day workers, no Internet, crew shortages and resultant pier head jumps, significant qualification packages, reduced duty watch rotations at all rank levels, etc are major turn-offs for some.  Others see the team spirit, interesting deployments (even if you can't talk about them when you get back), increased responsibility at junior ranks, lack of surface fleet spit & polish "BS", increased pay, and elite status as more than compensating.

PS:  I find it intesting that you admit most skimmers avoid submarines because they don't like going to sea.  Dolphin 28!

MSEng314 said:
They aren't the worst off compared to some trades, and subs only have two engineers; the EO and the CSEO, which is why they want you to be HOD qualified first. I plan on talking to my career manager about it when I see him, I figure if I'm going to a shore posting next fall anyways, I thought I could do BSQ while I'm waiting to go back to sea to get my HOD qual, and then go to a sub right after that. But it depends on what they want, and of course needs of the service first, so I'll just focus on my current posting for the time being.
The Victoria Class has a fixed crew size due to escape capacities (PM me with your forces.gc.ca address and I will explain more fully if you wish).  Ergo there isn't bunk space to do trades training such as HOD packages.  It would work better for you to do your AILS, AILV, etc and then start sailing aboard a boat while the knowledge is fresh.

The STO at MOG 5 could explain in more detail - drop down to '4 Trap' on NC Jetty and ask around.

I think Chief Stoker meant that some submariners are there because the boats don't sail much, not general service personnel avoiding boats because they sail too much. I could be wrong, after all I was never one of the "elite" just a "skimmer".  If you ever want to know how superior a submariner is, just ask him, he'll tell you...over and over. ;D

Back