• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

*SPOILER WARNING!* Star Wars Episode III: Revenge of the Sith

i just watched a new hope today, and man the saber fights are so much slower in it. one of the reasons though is because of Darth Vader's armour, it restricted his movement

-Hutch- said:
i just watched a new hope today, and man the saber fights are so much slower in it. one of the reasons though is because of Darth Vader's armour, it restricted his movement

Yeah and I'm sure the fact that this movie is now almost 30 years old and the quality/capability of Fxs and CGI then versus now had nothing to do with it.

Danjanou said:
Yeah and I'm sure the fact that this movie is now almost 30 years old and the quality/capability of Fxs and CGI then versus now had nothing to do with it.

Not to mention how old Sir Alec Guinness was at the time!

Nothing beats the fight scenes from the Matrix though........

Infanteer said:
Probably Senator Organa's wife.

Luke specifically stated, "Your real mother."

Only 'in universe' answer I can think of is that Luke was taken away quickly because Padme (I'm not typing accents!) wasn't done...and when Leia was born, there was time for her to look at Leia, and say to Obi-Wan that there was still some good in Anakin.   This would let Leia have memory of her real mother as beautiful and sad.

The movie was what was promised: one for the fans.   Lucas has been attributed with saying, "Phantom Menace is for the kids, Attack of the Clones is the love story, and Sith is Anakin's fall."   Taken in that context, I can forgive Jar-Jar...(However, I can not forgive the 'Jedi' revision, with young Anakin appearing as the ghost...)

Now...for you die hard fans...if you're not one, stop reading to save your eyes rolling up in your skull...

1.   Are you satisfied that the Death Star is *the* Death Star (from our childhood "Star Wars"...I'm not ever gonna call it "A New Hope"...)?   Could the 'prototype' have been constructed in the Maw, and the end of 'Sith' is actually at Despayre?   Or is it ignoring all other sources?   If so...I dare you to come up with a plausible retconn, per Boba Fett/Jaster Mereel.   (Remember to explain why the 'newly commissioned' Death Star would take 18 years to build, while the DS2 took under 3, including revisions.)

2.   Explain why General Grievous has smoker's cough.

3.   With how big of a grain of salt do you take www.supershadow.com ?

4.   TV between 'Sith' and 'Star Wars'...good idea, or would you rather see another era?

5.   Clone Wars miniseries...did you catch it before seeing 'Sith'?   Both parts 1 and 2?   Comments?

6.   Tarkin has same insignia & cylinders as Grand Moff, but was only a Governor at this time.   Why?

7.   Will you buy the re-re-revised 'Original Trilogy' again when released with Biggs intro, Wampa vs Snowtroopers, and Tatooine Sandstorm departure?

8.  Did you catch any of the 'Easter Eggs' listed at: http://www.starwars.com/episode-iii/bts/production/f20050526/index.html ?

(typo edit...d'oh...)

Freddy Chef said:
The re-match duel between Vader and Luke, where Luke lost his hand in the first duel, with The Emperor observing from the throne [really, Lord Sidious wanting the best Sith apprentice from the winner of the match].

I'm pretty sure Luke lost his hand in their dule on Cloud City, in Empire Strikes Back.  The Emperor wasn't present at that time.  Correct me if I'm wrong though, I haven't scene the first trilogy in a while.  You may be thinking of Return of the Jedi, when Luke surrenders himself to Vader and the Empire during the moon raid, when Vader was mortally wounded in their battle.

Luke does lose his hand to Vader in Cloud City, I just watched all 6 episodes....again, this week!

archer said:
...You may be thinking of Return of the Jedi, when Luke surrenders himself to Vader and the Empire during the moon raid, when Vader was mortally wounded in their battle....

Yep, the "re-match duel", payback for Luke, was Return of the Jedi, Emperor present. Luke "lost his hand in the first duel", Empire Strikes Back.

The "re-match duel", payback for Anakin, was Revenege of the Sith, Emperor present. Anakin "lost his hand in the first duel", Attack of the Clones.

Danjanou said:

ya but time wouldn't affect the speed that someone can move. people could move just as fast 30 years ago as they can today. george lucas said in an interveiw that the reason that all the fights are slower is becouse of the armour that darth vader is wearing.

Michael Dorosh said:
Not to mention how old Sir Alec Guinness was at the time!

this could also have somthing to do with it. but than what would you say about the other saber fights in the other 2 movies?

sguido said:
1.  Are you satisfied that the Death Star is *the* Death Star (from our childhood "Star Wars"...I'm not ever gonna call it "A New Hope"...)?

wasn't it always called a new hope? why would you not call it that.

Originally the title was "Star Wars". Changed to a "Episode IV: A New Hope" later on...

...(However, I can not forgive the 'Jedi' revision, with young Anakin appearing as the ghost...)

I kinda liked that except that the older fellow was probably more appropriate; why is Obi-Wan old and Anakin young?  The old dude playing Anakin probably feels ripped off in being erased out of history and I thought throwing Qui-Gon would have been cool as well (since he discovered the ability).  What I can't stand is the new song at the end of Return of the Jedi; its some tribal bongo drums that replaced a classic John Williams score - it really killed the "Grand Finale" mood of the ending.

Although I like much of the special effects to bring the original trilogy in-line with the new trilogy, I still have the original series on VHS - now if I could only find a player for them that works.... :blotto:

sguido said:
1.   Are you satisfied that the Death Star is *the* Death Star (from our childhood "Star Wars"...I'm not ever gonna call it "A New Hope"...)?   Could the 'prototype' have been constructed in the Maw, and the end of 'Sith' is actually at Despayre?   Or is it ignoring all other sources?   If so...I dare you to come up with a plausible retconn, per Boba Fett/Jaster Mereel.   (Remember to explain why the 'newly commissioned' Death Star would take 18 years to build, while the DS2 took under 3, including revisions.)

Economy of Scale - it is tricky to build a one-off, but once the design has been manufactured, much of the guess work is gone.

2.   Explain why General Grievous has smoker's cough.

Because he is actaully a living being enclosed in that suit (hence the real eyes and the organs under the plate that Obi-wan shoots).   I'm assuming his "smokers cough" is related to whatever destroyed his body and put him into the armour.

3.   With how big of a grain of salt do you take www.supershadow.com ?

Tough to say - I enjoy reading the site, but much of what Lucas seems to say contradicts what is said there.

4.   TV between 'Sith' and 'Star Wars'...good idea, or would you rather see another era?

It could be interesting - filling in some backstory for Chewbacca, Luke and Leia.   Introducing Boba Fett, Han, and Lando and giving them some life.   Seeing the maturation of Obi-Wan and Yoda's plan (and their contact with Qui-Gon).   There is alot of potential material.

5.   Clone Wars miniseries...did you catch it before seeing 'Sith'?   Both parts 1 and 2?   Comments?

No - isn't that the cartoon one?

6.   Tarkin has same insignia & cylinders as Grand Moff, but was only a Governor at this time.   Why?

Maybe it was a brevet promotion while the Death Star was under construction.

7.   Will you buy the re-re-revised 'Original Trilogy' again when released with Biggs intro, Wampa vs Snowtroopers, and Tatooine Sandstorm departure?

You bet - I've been waiting for the entire series to come out on DVD before buying any - I hope they put a little more effort into the Special Features (a la Lord of the Rings).

8.   Did you catch any of the 'Easter Eggs' listed at: http://www.starwars.com/episode-iii/bts/production/f20050526/index.html ?

No.

condor888000 said:
Originally the title was "Star Wars". Changed to a "Episode IV: A New Hope" later on...

oh i always for as long as i can remember it being a new hope, i know they just added the episode IV.

did they change it to "a new hope" when it came back to theaters a while ago. i think it was in the mid 90's

But Boba Fett was introduced. He weas the young boy when Obi-Wan went and discovered the clone army.

They were rereleased in 97 and I can't remember.....

Re: Death Star:
Economy of Scale - it is tricky to build a one-off, but once the design has been manufactured, much of the guess work is gone.

Ah, but that doesn't account for the redesign; DS2 is larger, and the exhaust port idea would've changed the plans significantly.  (I'm ignoring the DS2 is 800 km source completely; I'm happy with the 160 km source.)  But do you think it's the DS, or a prototype - did Lucas totally ignore 20 odd years of 'official' licenced material if it's the former?

Re: General Grievous' cough.
Because he is actaully a living being enclosed in that suit (hence the real eyes and the organs under the plate that Obi-wan shoots).  I'm assuming his "smokers cough" is related to whatever destroyed his body and put him into the armour.

Grievous was 'accidentally' shot down by Dooku, and then 'saved', as told in the comic Star Wars: Visionaries.  (When did they stop being comics and start being 'graphic novels?  Why did Dark Horse become pretentious?  Regardless...pick it up...not bad, along with the "Tales" series.)  His 'speech' was 'normal', ie, vocabulator without coughs.  And he didn't have it during the Clone Wars miniseries...of which part 2 is set immediately prior to the opening of 'Sith'.  Once again...continuity being ignored...

Re: Clone Wars series
No - isn't that the cartoon one?

Yep...not bad, once you accept the drawing style.  Part 1's on DVD now, but part 2 is much better.  The 12 minute episodes of part 2 allow a deeper storyline than the 3 minute episodes of part 1.

Re: Tarkin's insignia & code cylinders
Maybe it was a brevet promotion while the Death Star was under construction.

And then we're back to ignoring 20 odd years of continuity.  Sure...he used the Juggernaught...but it would be *nice* if a few more items were used, as begged for from his slave labourers...er..."Loyal Alpha Testers and Volunteer Copy Editors/Proofreaders"...grumble...volunteer hours of your time to LucasArts for nothing....

And there's the lesson I forgot from the CF....

NEVER VOLUNTEER FOR ANYTHING!​

Man, your geekness is beyond mine - I just write everything off to the Force.... ;)

Why can't you people just watch the frickin movie and enjoy it? I LOVED the original star wars movies. I saw every one in the theatres and I have vivid memories of all three. As a kid I had Millennium Falcons, lightsabers, blasters, Han Solo, Luke, and Chewie 'action figures', the whole bit. But you know what? I don't have them anymore, I don't sit at home on the internet researching all things Star Wars, looking for the hidden bits and inconsistencies in the new movies. I'm 30 years old! I just enjoy it for what it is - an exceptionally imaginative story, told using really cool special effects and so-so acting. Leave the obsession to kids, or at least obsess about something worthwhile, like Heidi Klums boobs, or Paris Hilton's BJs.

I think Star Wars nuts, like trekkies, pick apart the movies more than the creator did. That should be a hint - if you analyze a movie more than the guy who dreamed it all up, you should probably stop.

Infanteer said:
Man, your geekness is beyond mine - I just write everything off to the Force.... ;)

That's bloody magic. LOL.

Question re the 'Jedi revision'...I have seen the picture where the young Anakin appears w/ Yoda & Obi Wan at the end of ROTJ...but I cannot find any offical weblink to verify that it actually part of a re-re-release of ROTJ. Can any clear the air here?

reality_therapy said:
Question re the 'Jedi revision'...I have seen the picture where the young Anakin appears w/ Yoda & Obi Wan at the end of ROTJ...but I cannot find any offical weblink to verify that it actually part of a re-re-release of ROTJ. Can any clear the air here?

It's on the 'Jedi' DVD, which works out to version 3.  (Original, Special Edition, DVD.)  Version 4 will have the sandstorm and possibly other re-shot scenes.

Oh...and Caesar...who's to say those who 'obsess' aren't enjoying the movie?  And overanalyzing the movies?  Heh...it led to a job offer.  Has *your* hobby ever given you that kind of opportunity?  :p

sguido said:
Ah, but that doesn't account for the redesign; DS2 is larger, and the exhaust port idea would've changed the plans significantly.   (I'm ignoring the DS2 is 800 km source completely; I'm happy with the 160 km source.)   But do you think it's the DS, or a prototype - did Lucas totally ignore 20 odd years of 'official' licenced material if it's the former?

Well, according to the Star Wars books, the emprie did build a prototype first.  Can't remember the exact book but it involved the sun crusher and Kyp Durron :p  And no I don't care that Lucas has nothing to do with the books!  So yeah, when I saw episode 3, I figgured that was the prototype they show at the end.

sguido said:
Oh...and Caesar...who's to say those who 'obsess' aren't enjoying the movie?   And overanalyzing the movies?   Heh...it led to a job offer.   Has *your* hobby ever given you that kind of opportunity?   :p

If you are enjoying the new movies so much, why are most posts pointing out negative issues with the new movies? Enjoy them, just because you CAN pick them apart, doesn't mean you should.

Your obsession over Star Wars led to a job offer? Your not one of those 'Jedists' are you? You know, the ones that fought for offical recognition of "jedi' as a religion? Seriously, if your love of Star Wars led to a job, good on ya'. Your lucky, I guess. 

And actually, my 'hobby' is my part time job.  ;) You've never heard "your job is my hobby?"

Back