• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Spec pay when doing an OT

I posted this one before --->  http://forums.army.ca/forums/threads/109421/post-1208898.html#msg1208898

DMPAP has all the info on their website for doing the calculations but their spreadsheet doesn't work.  :-(

Hope this link helps...

I have a general question WRT to the originator's original one.

There are a few of us OTs here in my new trade (which is Spec 1) who OTd from another Spec 1 trade.

Although we essentially relinquished our rank and the TI in the MOS was "reset", some of us are still being paid less than the day we OTd. Yes, according to the pay calculator we were credited with TI accumulated through our 2 year QL5 training, but it looks like the Pay Incentive Levels ought to be equal or greater than what we were receiving?

Just for context, I was a Cpl Spec 1 IPC 2 16 Jun 10. 17 Jun 10, I was bumped down to Cpl Standard IPC 3. After my QL5s in Apr 2012, I was originally set at Cpl Spec 1 IPC 0 (until they reviewed it) and am now at Cpl Spec 1 IPC 2. Essentially, I am still being paid less than I was the day I VOTd.

Any ideas/comments to whether or not I have any recourse here?

Thanks.

Spec pay and IPCs reset when you VOT, so what you 'were' has no bearing on today and doesn't factor into anything.  From what you've wrote, it seems to me you are being paid the right IPC in your new spec MOC.

vojnik said:
Just for context, I was a Cpl Spec 1 IPC 2 16 Jun 10. 17 Jun 10, I was bumped down to Cpl Standard IPC 3. After my QL5s in Apr 2012, I was originally set at Cpl Spec 1 IPC 0 (until they reviewed it) and am now at Cpl Spec 1 IPC 2. Essentially, I am still being paid less than I was the day I VOTd.

Its a VOT, you bite the bullet and take a pay cut. I don't get how you are being paid less now, when in your previous trade you were Cpl(2) Spec 1, which is what you're being paid at right now?

PuckChaser said:
Its a VOT, you bite the bullet and take a pay cut. I don't get how you are being paid less now, when in your previous trade you were Cpl(2) Spec 1, which is what you're being paid at right now?

I scratched my head at that as well, especially given the pay increases the past few years, including 2% this year alone.  :dunno:

PuckChaser said:

Yes and No, he got a pay cut.  He posted that he went from Cpl 2 to Cpl 3, which is actually a raise in pay.  Vested Rights are going to keep him at the same IPC, so no pay cut.  What is cut is his Spec Pay.  Now he no longer is entitled to Spec Pay in the new Trade, so he is not getting that money.  Is he making less now?  Yes. 

PuckChaser said:

Vested rights to pay on VOT, it doesn't apply and.......

vojnik said:
Just for context, I was a Cpl Spec 1 IPC 2 16 Jun 10. 17 Jun 10, I was bumped down to Cpl Standard IPC 3.

My guess would be that this (bumped down to Cpl Standard IPC 3) is the X-factor in the equation but I cannot be certain until I can access the regs, so please be gentle, and only take this as a preliminary response.

The main cause of less money, is not necessarily less Pay (IPC), but the loss of Spec Pay.  Of course one is going to get less in the bank.

We are probably all on the same net, but losing it in translation.

???  How does Cpl Spec 1 IPC 2 not equal Cpl Spec 1 IPC 2?

What doe you mean 'effectively' paid less? As others have noted, you're at the same spec and incentive now as you were three years ago AND there have been economic pay adjustments/raises as well.

I would suggest a sit down with a knowledgable RMS Clerk to ensure that you are actually at the right pay rate; I have an uneasy feeling that the original 2012 assignment of Cpl Spec 1 IPC 0 may actually have been correct (in the sense of post-VOT 'reset' to Cpl Basic...not saying it is morally correct, but the VOT process has lots of caveats associated with it) -- you would hate to have someone come back after a pers file review and say you had been overpaid for a year+ by two incentive categories.

In my experience, seeing a fair bit of (V)OTs, (basic to spec, spec 1 to spec 1 as well as spec 1 to spec 2) I have most often seen drops to Cpl Basic IPC 0 until the 5's are completed, and then pay start at the applicable Spec level and the pay incentive continue as per the time that has passed between the VOT acceptance message and the date of QL5 qualification...i.e. no back dating/adjustment of IPC -- if you were 5's-qualified 22 months after you acceptance message, you'd be Cpl Spec 1/2 IPC 1.  Hard example is a MCpl AVN tech I know who VOT'd to FE -- he's now being paid Cpl Basic IPC 0, until he finishes his 5's...then he'll go up to CPl Spec 2 and whatever IPC relates to the date from his OT that has passed.

While it may be frustrating because you feel that you should have vested rights to pay incentive, I do not believe that to be the case.

Regards
G2G

I came here to this thread to see how it would affect my pay with my recent VOT,
I am going from a Spec 1(kind of not really we are getting butthurt, pay is frozen) to a spec 1 trade,

I am not 5s Qual in the new trade, so I was informed id be recieving Cpl 1 IPC 2, Until completion of my OJT and 5s or my PLAR is granted, at which point I return to CPL IPC 4 SPEC 1,

furthermore, yall wanna hear a bigger loop,

ACISS reorg, I was LCIS, I have been at Cpl 2 Spec 1 for 3 and a half years now i think, approximately, If ACISS CST gets granted Spec, I will end up with backpay......

I am really lost as to the whole Sgt, Cpl convo that was happening at the top of this thread.. IF interested in trying to figure this all out, i would skip the first page.

Back