• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Sound off: What are you doing right now? Aside from the obvious being on here..

I have lived in Australia for 14 yrs.

Played cricket drunk a few times, still don't understand it, not a clue.

When asked one day what I thought of it, I referred to it as a 'girls' game, and the Mess went silent, ha!

For the life of me how anyone can play the same game for days, when 2.5 hrs of any sport is enough for me at one go.

Cheers,

Wes

geo said:
Best of 47 wins ?
Sorry, i was exaggerating. It just blew me away watching what i thought was the final of the hockey a few years ago, I saw Edmonton lose and assumed that was that. No one else seemed upset though and i asked why, "Dont worry" They said, "It's best of 7!".
In a Test Series, we play best of three. In One Day cricket, its one game to decide it.

South Africa are 4/176 now! Australia are looking good to go into the second innings and really knock up a total RSA wont be able to chase. Peter Siddle is a Victorian legend!

Halesnik!

I have watched cricket on the tube and I think I have a grip on the basics. A butch of people dressed in cook's whites wander a round a field trying to catch oddly hit balls before they roll into the traffic. Then they go sit down and drink tea while they wonder why England never wins.

Actually the game requires a lot of skill, even with the tea breaks. It just is not suited for the North American mentality.

Oh, and if you would like to see snow, come and shovel my driveway after the next dumping. I guarantee you lots of hot rum and a big feed of hot pork and beans in front of the fireplace.

Overwatch Downunder said:
I have lived in Australia for 14 yrs.

Played cricket drunk a few times, still don't understand it, not a clue.

When asked one day what I thought of it, I referred to it as a 'girls' game, and the Mess went silent, ha!

For the life of me how anyone can play the same game for days, when 2.5 hrs of any sport is enough for me at one go.

Cheers,

Wes

You've got it backwards Wes. In England, baseball is called "rounders", and usually it's a girls game.

Old Sweat said:
Actually the game requires a lot of skill, even with the tea breaks. It just is not suited for the North American mentality.

Oh, and if you would like to see snow, come and shovel my driveway after the next dumping. I guarantee you lots of hot rum and a big feed of hot pork and beans in front of the fireplace.
Haha, that sounds fantastic. I'll be on the next plane over! I just need to find my hat...
Maybe your right about the North American mentality. It is a slow game and requires a lot of patience. I used to coach a team of under 12's and it was great to see the transition in the fielding through the season from fidgety at the start and relaxed at the end. For a 12 year old kid to stand out in the field for 5 hours with only one or two quick drinks breaks is really something, but my kids learnt to relax and enjoy it, while still pulling off sharp catches and good fielding after hours and hours in the sun.
I remember when i was playing in Vancouver, a group of American kids came over while i was putting on my pads as i was batting next and starting asking me about it. "How fast does the pitcher throw?" they said as the bowler sent down a scorcer to the bloke batting, "This bowler bowls at about 130kmh" i said, "Thats about as fast as me" said a 12yr old kid, "Its the a bit different though...". I couldnt make them understand the difference and the intricacies. That it takes 10 wickets before the teams swap, that the batsman can only go out once, that because the ball bounces its actually quite a bit harder then if it is thrown at you on the full...
They got bored after 5 minutes and walked off. Maybe it is a North American mentality to need instant action and drama. But people who play cricket understand the need to wait and be patient. I like to think that someone who plays cricket can use it for the rest of their lives. The phrase "Its just not Cricket" isnt just some old English antique, its a term that i still use that describes things that modern society seems to have forgotten. Things like playing by the rules, waiting your turn and respecting others. Really, its a not just a game, its a way of living life.
Anyway, enough of me singing about the game! 5 down for 230 now! They're chasing 440 and unless South Africa's tail wag's we're looking really good for a big win. Still, anything could happen in the second innings

I am watching The Honeymooners movie 2005 version, I have sunk so low.  :crybaby:

[quote author=
[/quote]

Sitting here driving my Cat crazy with the Laser tipped Pen I received for Christmas.

You cannot believe how fast or high these animals can run and jump.

I end a session by running and shutting off the Beam under a closet door. He sits for hours staring at the spot, leaves and eventually comes back into the Computer Room and takes up his surveillance.

Cheers ;D.

First day back from a very busy and excellent Christmas Leave.  Home on PEI for Christmas with 9r D, had a quiet NYE at *home* (Dieppe NB) that wasn't too stormy...back to the Island this weekend, revielle at 0500 today for the drive back to Hfx and PT..now at the shop putting in my next leave pass  ;D.  I find it breaks up the post-holiday blues to get one in first thing back.

That had to be the fastest 15 days off I have ever had.

Starting to plan the next winter weekend getaway, and spring/summer camping/hiking/day trips...places to go, things to see...

haha baseball is one of the last sports that I think of when it comes to the North American instant gratification mentality.  I hate that sport.  I would honestly prefer cricket.  When I was in Melbourne I went to one of the Oz/SA test matches.  Interesting game, but 30/30 seems like a lot more fun.

I'll stick to downhill mountain biking.  In the dark.

trying to get some info about playing aussie rules for a club in ottawa when i get sent there later this year and if it`s a recognised military sport.

Just returned from a 30min walk around the neighbourhood. Snow covered sidewalks are treacherous.

I'm here....in bed. With both a bad head and chest cold, and now, thanks to my dad, a very bad stomach bug.

This sucks :(

The Beaver said:
I'm here....in bed. With both a bad head and chest cold, and now, thanks to my dad, a very bad stomach bug.

This sucks :(

Better keep you in Quarantine. :D

I have not gotten any illness yet this winter.. which is odd... *knocks on wood*

Marshall said:
Better keep you in Quarantine. :D

I have not gotten any illness yet this winter.. which is odd... *knocks on wood*
Oh I am. Worst part is, dad isn't, so his germs are all over the place ;)

Packing to come home for a bit, I'm tired of the MUD. Looking forward to seeing some real winter for a bit.

WrenchBender

Another shockingly hot day here with humidity to boot. An hour a go, 34C, pool temp 30C.

Spent 2 days at Broadbeach on the Gold Coast staying at the Mantra Bel Air resort, with friends. Lots of piss and good steaks. Now home, cleaned the pool, and now off to a pre Australia Day party at this blonde chick's place here on the island.

Should be a hoot and a half.

AAR to follow  :warstory:

Wes

Wondering at which hour I should go see the reconstitution at Mont-Royal
of the fort (of snow) "bataille" of La Guerre des tuques, a 1984 children movie.

The most célebre sentence : "La guerre, la guerre, c'est pas une raison pour se faire mal, ça!"
"The war, the war, it's not a reason to hurt ourself, that!"

42704.jpg

Guerre des tuques au parc Jeanne-Mance

Back