• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Soldier Operational Clothing and Equipment Modernization

Would love to see some pics.

Are they GBA+ designed with a whole bunch of different lengths and sizes?
I don’t know that GBA plus played a factor, stunning as it may be to outside observers this whole “woke army” thing isn’t reality. They are in different sizes though, which as a 6’3 guy is fantastic.

I don’t know that GBA plus played a factor, stunning as it may be to outside observers this whole “woke army” thing isn’t reality. They are in different sizes though, which as a 6’3 guy is fantastic.
I definitely think it's a good thing for kit and equipment. Different sized people need different sized gear. Not as important as with female body armor and plates maybe but still pretty significant IMO.

Would love to see some pics.

Are they GBA+ designed with a whole bunch of different lengths and sizes?
As mentioned they come in different sizes and they did look at GBA + in terms of sizing, in the user trials had female representation.

As mentioned they come in different sizes and they did look at GBA + in terms of sizing, in the user trials had female representation.

Nice.

How realistic is it to expect we'll get a decent selection of sizes available compared to having a medium-regular bag thrown at us and told that's all that's in stock?

What's the temperature rating?

Nice.

How realistic is it to expect we'll get a decent selection of sizes available compared to having a medium-regular bag thrown at us and told that's all that's in stock?

The sleeping bags come in three sizes based on height and chest circumference, Medium, Large, and Extra Large. Not sure of the temperature rating but this is a General Purpose Sleeping Bag System and while it has an inner and outer sleeping bag it is not designed for arctic conditions. DLR and DSSPM have another project, the Extreme Cold Weather Sleeping Bag that will provide sleeping bags for soldiers (and sailors, aviators) operating in arctic conditions.

Bag, sleeping, RCAF, equivalent... ;)

hotel GIF
I just want to say that the most hard core, closest to death course that I have ever done is the Arctic Survival Course in Resolute Bay.

An RCAF course…

Nice.

We went through, and we’re sized
Small medium large, as far as I could tell. I didn’t see a temp rating, but it’s a modular system with a liner, thicker inner, and thinner outer.

The sleeping bags come in three sizes based on height and chest circumference, Medium, Large, and Extra Large. Not sure of the temperature rating but this is a General Purpose Sleeping Bag System and while it has an inner and outer sleeping bag it is not designed for arctic conditions. DLR and DSSPM have another project, the Extreme Cold Weather Sleeping Bag that will provide sleeping bags for soldiers (and sailors, aviators) operating in arctic conditions.

The layered sleeping bag system we currently use is still one of the best in the world for extreme cold, IMHO. Especially if used with the good ol' 'Black Betty' ;)

The layered sleeping bag system we currently use is still one of the best in the world for extreme cold, IMHO. Especially if used with the good ol' 'Black Betty' ;)
Stupidly, I left my ”off the books” Black Betty at home and used the issue ThermaRest. Big mistake.

Stupidly, I left my ”off the books” Black Betty at home and used the issue ThermaRest. Big mistake.

The T-Rest works OK if you also use a foam 'Z-lite' pad underneath it, which you have to purchase yourself of course ;)

The T-Rest works OK if you also use a foam 'Z-lite' pad underneath it, which you have to purchase yourself of course ;)
Stupidly, I left the Z-lite at home, too.

Well, you learn more when you are cold and uncomfortable, they say…

Not really hard core, just inattentive and often stoopid cadre.
To prevent that your officers and NCOs need to be very attentive to their troops and troops have to be attentive to each other.
It’s not just physical changes ie visible signs of frostbite or cold weather injuries that you need to pay attention to. You need to pay attention to their mental state as well.
Not everyone can endure the cold either.

Stupidly, I left the Z-lite at home, too.

Well, you learn more when you are cold and uncomfortable, they say…

I rock one of these in higher altitude climbs/ colder winters. Looxury, and light

Exped DownMat XP review​

I just want to say that the most hard core, closest to death course that I have ever done is the Arctic Survival Course in Resolute Bay.

An RCAF course…

I've read up on that course and all I can say is holy crap.

I've read up on that course and all I can say is holy crap.

The phase of SAR Tech trg completed at/near Crystal City takes the Air Ops Survival - Arctic Aircrew course to a fairly different level.

Crystal City is the small “trg camp” located about 4km north of Resolute Airport, which is where the CAFATC is located. You can search Crystal City in Google Earth and it will take you right there. Pretty sparse location and cold as f$$k in Feb.

I think the army Arctic Ops Course would be hard, too; they had a lot more cold casualties than AOS-AA in ‘18. Snowmobiles + cold wind.

Back