• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Soldier On Sports Recovery/Rehabilitation Fund

Hi again; I have attached info regarding the 3rd Annual Vancouver Island Society for Adaptive Snowsports. They have room for between 12 and 15 participants. (active and retired CF members)

Duty With Honour :salute: :cdn:

Way to get mentioned in today's Globe & Mail (.pdf permalink if G&M link doesn't work).......

Passing the torch
Elite wheelchair and Paralympic athletes are scouting rehab wards, schools and malls to encourage the next generation to give their sports a try

Hayley Mick, Globe & Mail, 12 Dec 08
....Across the country, elite wheelchair athletes such as (Shayne) Smith are scouting rehabilitation wards, school gyms and malls for quadriplegics and amputees, urging them to give a try to wheelchair and Paralympic sports such as basketball, rugby, sledge hockey and curling.  Their efforts are key to their sports' survival .... Last week, more than a dozen soldiers injured in Afghanistan travelled to a Kingston military base, where they were put through fitness drills and introduced to sports such as sledge hockey. The pilot program, a partnership effort between the military and Canadian Paralympic Committee called Soldier On, aims to keep soldiers fit enough to stay in uniform ....

Recent letter from the Vancouver Island Society for Adpative Snowsport.

December 16, 2008
Hi,

I am forwarding to you a short information sheet on the aims of our Learn to Ski Festival, for injured serving and retired CF Veterans, to be held on Mount Washington http://www.mountwashington.ca/on Vancouver Island, from February 01 to 07 2009.

Who are we?

The Vancouver Island Society for Adaptive Snowsport (VISAS) is a volunteer group with 80 Alpine, Nordic, and Snowboard Instructors, many of them retired military, and all of them dedicated to “bringing the mountain” to people with disabilities. We are a non profit organization focused on providing Nationally Certified Snowsports Instruction to physically or mentally challenged person. 

Why a Veterans Program?

A few of us volunteer a week every spring in Aspen Colorado to work with American Disabled Veterans in a DVA sponsored Winter Sports Clinic . http://www1.va.gov/vetevent/wsc/2007/default.cfm  There is a transformation that occurs here so often that it seems commonplace. Men and women, often with extraordinary injuries, discovering on the snow, that they still have it. In September 2006 those instructors who have attended this event decided to put thoughts into action and began initiatives to put our own program into place.

Will it work for you?

Most certainly it will! Our program has about 600 student visits a year. Head injuries, amputees, paraplegics and quadriplegics, ,blind skiers, all participate in our program. It is very rare that they do not accomplish something, and it is rarer still that these accomplishments are not deeply meaningful to them. We have seen peoples lives changed in the course of a few sort days!

How do we do it?

We have specialized equipment galore. Sit-skis and Bi-skis if you cannot stand, a  Slider if you need help standing, outriggers to support you if you are an amputee; Blind guides to get you down the hill. Our aim is to safely provide you with a challenge, and to share the sports we love.

What is provided?

In fact almost everything is provided. Mount Washington Alpine Resort will donate all of the rental equipment, full use of their facilities and provide a deep discount on the passes. Our Society, VISAS will provide qualified instructors and all adaptive ski equipment.  Transportation to and from the hill, your lift passes and a daily lunch are all provided.

Who pays for this?

This year the entire cost of this event is being covered by two wonderful organizations. As you are aware, Soldier On, http://CFSoldierOn.cawill cover the cost of Airfare for you and your traveling companion, accommodations and meals not covered by the Festival. The Wounded Warrior, http://woundedwarriors.ca/ program has generously offered to cover all the costs relating to the skiing event itself. Ski passes, bus transportation and banquets etc.

Veteran Participants.

After a small step the last couple of years, 3 amps last year, we have decided to undertake a Veterans only Festival for those wishing to expand their horizons and challenge themselves on the slopes. We offer instruction in downhill, snowboard and Nordic skiing

Following is a brief outline of the event Feb. 01 to 07 2009

-Arrive Comox airport on Sunday 01 Feb.
We are served by Westjet and Air Canada, Westjet has direct connections from the East though Calgary. Air Canada connect through Vancouver. Try to be here in the afternoon if possible. You will be met by our instructors and transported to the hotel.

-Sunday evening, we will transport everyone to a local hall for a meet and greet banquet.
At this time you will also be fitted for any adaptive ski equipment you may require.

-Monday morning a bus will pick you up at 0815 and transport you from the hotel to Mt. Washington resort. We will finalize equipment needs and begin your experience at 1000.
Instruction is daily from 1000 to 1200 a break for lunch and instruction from 1300 to 1500. The bus will depart approx 1615. Free evening.

Tuesday through Thursday, same routine.

Friday is the same routine in the morning and in the afternoon we will have a small race course set up so you can amaze yourselves and others with the progress you have made during the week. The bus may depart a little early that you may get rested for the evening Awards Ceremony and banquet with your friends, family, instructors and invited guests.

Saturday, we will transport you back to the airport to say our Farwell

Contact Us.
Email:
Glen Hooge –  colleenandglenatshaw.ca  Ph. 1-250-339-5128
Bob Hodgson – curlewatshaw.ca              Ph. 1-250-339-6833
Sgt Andrew McLean- mclean.acatforces.gc.ca Ph. 1-613-816-3200 (SO Fund Manager)
If you decide to attend the program we will send you an application form and other information relating to the event.
Hope to see you on the hill
Cheers
Glen Hooge

Paul had such a great time at this event last year!  I will be joining him so I can finally learn how to snowboard as well.  I look forward to the challenge!

It only gets better; I am presently starting to put together a summer 2009 outdoor adventure week in Alberta that would have the participants white water rafting, climbing, diving, water skiing and archery just to name a few. Plans are in the prep faze but will post more as some of the details come out. I hope to bring in volunteers from across the elements to staff and participate along side.

We are also planning on another Soldier On SportFit camp out West sometime in March/April and once we have the details a CANFORGEN will be released.(more notice this time) The most recent one was a huge success and the participants had great suggestions to make it an even greater event.

Duty With Honour
Soldier On
Sgt Andrew McLean :salute: :cdn:

Good Day to all; I recently spoke and visited Hebert Chretien of http://www.freedomatdepth.ca/ ( former PM's son) in Gatineau. Their mission is:
"To train people with disabilities to the point where they have the ability and the confidence to participate in scuba diving, a sport many people, including many people with disabilities, think out of reach." Hebert has over 30 years exp. in the diving world and is a world  leader in instruction for person's with a disability.

I also spoke with Charles Petersen of http://www.freedomswings.ca/fw/. Their mission is similar:
"Our program strives to improve the quality of life of persons with disabilities by providing a physically and intellectually exciting and challenging introduction to flight."
MCpl Paul Franklin went on one of their Freedom Flights here in Gatineau and had a great time.

Two examples of opportunities that exist outside the traditional sports offered to those who have an adaptability.

Duty With Honour
Soldier On

Article in New Brunswick Telegraph Dec 17;

IDNUMBER  200812170024
PUBLICATION:  New Brunswick Telegraph-Journal
DATE:  2008.12.17
SECTION:  News
PAGE:  C9
BYLINE:  MARY-ELLEN SAUNDERS TELEGRAPH-JOURNAL
COPYRIGHT:  © 2008 Telegraph-Journal (New Brunswick)
WORD COUNT:  641

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Family heading to injured soldier's side; Recovering Private from St. Stephen is lone survivor of explosion that killed three Canadians in Afghanistan

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The family of Pte. Christopher Deering, who was seriously injured by a roadside bomb in Afghanistan on Saturday, was scheduled to leave for Germany early this morning to be at his side.

"This morning we got a call from the doctor who is handling Christopher's case in Germany and he spoke to us and recommended we go over and be there for Christopher," Greg Deering, the soldier's father, said Tuesday afternoon.

Deering, 20, of St. Stephen, was the only survivor when a roadside bomb ripped through a Canadian military vehicle in southern Afghanistan.

Three Canadian soldiers, Cpl. Thomas James Hamilton, Pte. Justin Peter Jones and Pte. John Michael Roy Curwin, were killed in the explosion. Their bodies were returned to Canada on Tuesday.

The four men, based at CFB Gagetown, were responding to a report that an improvised explosive device was being planted on the highway, which runs from Kandahar City all the way to the border of Helmand province, when their vehicle hit an explosive device.

Greg Deering said his son was initially listed in fair condition but has since been listed in serious or very serious condition after internal injuries were found at the hospital.

Deering was flown from Afghanistan to Landstuhl, Germany, where he is being cared for by an American medical team.

"The way they are speaking to us, they expect recovery but at the same time they are suggesting we should be there," Greg Deering said. "They are not telling us anything for certain."

Greg Deering said the family is experiencing all kinds of emotions as it prepares for the trip. The family members are worried, he said, and also feeling a sense of relief that they are going to be able to see Christoper and be with him.

Greg Deering said he, his wife, Patricia Deering, and their two sons, Jeremy, 24, who lives in Ottawa, and Nicholas, 21, who lives in Fredericton, will be going to Germany as a family to help Christopher with his recovery.

"Normally the protocol is to have the parents go, but these three boys are very, very, very close and we made the case that it would be to his benefit that these two go and the military agreed," Greg Deering said.

Lieut. (Navy) Brian Owens, who is with public affairs at CFB Gagetown, said he was unable to confirm the condition or name of the injured soldier.

"We have certainly gone through a rough time here," Owens said. "It's never easy. "¦ Certainly when any soldier gets injured we wish them a speedy recovery and do everything possible to insure they get proper treatment and get back on their feet as soon as possible."

Greg Deering said the family has not been able to speak to their son because he has been given sedatives to "quiet his body and put him in an induced coma.

"He is a very strong person. He excels at everything and he strives for his best and he was in very good shape and good spirits," the father said.

"We just want to get Christopher back home. We believe that he will fully recover."

The senior Deering said his son is an athlete and was offered scholarships to universities across Canada to compete on their wrestling teams. After one term at the University of New Brunswick, his son left school to pursue his calling of joining the armed forces.

Greg Deering said his son has always been drawn to the comraderie and challenges of the military.

Christopher Deering left for his first tour in Afghanistan in September and was due back in February.

"He looked forward to going to Afghanistan. We, as parents, were filled with worry and apprehension, but he felt confident and trained hard and had very good comrades with him and felt that this is what he was called to do," Greg Deering said.

"There was never a moment when he was in contact with us when he ever had any apprehension. All of the calls and emails were very positive."

The father said the last time they heard from Christopher was Nov. 30, when he sent an email chatting about the weather and the food.

The senior Deering said the family is grateful to have received emails and letters of support from people in their community and across the country. He said the general outpouring of love and support has been amazing.

"We are very hopeful that things are going to be fine with Christopher and everything is going to be OK," the father said.

As many of us know first hand, Landstuhl is a fantastic facility.  I heard from the manager of Fisher House that we had another family heading to Germany.  Of course she gave no details of who they are, but I know that they will be well taken care of and embraced by those wonderful people there.
Safe travels to the family and may God give the all strength to move forward.

As promised a few pictures from the recent SO SportFit Camp. Pics taken by Sgt Pascal Nobert Army News.

Good Day to all;
I would like to share with you a letter from Constable Stave of the Toronto Police Services.

Hello Sgt. Mclean,

I am contacting you once again to update you on our event.

A small group of us celebrated our annual event on Friday, December 8th '2008. It was sad news to us to learn that we had just lost 3 of our finest soldiers on that day.

So while we are deeply saddened by the news, and further saddened, that only just a few days later, we would learn that we lost yet another 3 brave soldiers in the same area - we continue to remember these individuals, and the great contributions and ultimate sacrifice they have made, while representing us to the world with such great courage, dignity, and purpose.
These individuals have demonstrated to the world the great character, honour, and principal that we strive for as a nation and as individuals. And further, the resolve of these men and women with their willingness to rush to the aid, and provide assistance to those in need no matter the challenge and certain obstacles. This being said, is why I and my peers could not be any prouder, and can only say with great reverence, that we are honoured to be represented by these individuals.

On behalf of my peers I would also like to extend our wishes and thoughts to all the men and women serving abroad - our thoughts, prayers, and thanks are always with you, and especially during this holiday season, and we are forever grateful.

While we were only able to raise a small sum this year - we will none the less forward our small contribution with thoughts for those fallen recently and their families.

I will be forwarding a cheque for $700, and a copy of the donation list from businesses that require a receipt (see attached).

I would also like to recognize the contributions from other donators who did not require a receipt, and they are:

Marriott Toronto Downtown Eaton Centre, Toronto, Ontario Delta Grandview Resort, Huntsville, Ontario The Lakeridge Golf Club, Broklin, Ontario Big Daddy's Crab Shack & Oyster Bar, Toronto, Ontario Lonestar Texas Grill, Toronto, Ontario Mr. Greeks Restaurant, Toronto, Ontario

In the new year we hope to begin planning our fundraising efforts much sooner, so we can make larger contribution next year.

To date we have raised $2200, this includes our contibution from last year - we hope to double that next year.

We wish you and all the men and women of our Armed Services a healthy, happy and safe Holiday Season and New Year.

Regards,

A Grateful Citizen of Canada,

Constable Arland Stave #8812
Toronto Police Service
:cdn:

A heart felt thanks to all Emergancy Service Workers.

Duty With Honour
Soldier On :salute: :cdn:

Good day to all; here is a link to an Army News video storey on the Army Run.
http://www.army.forces.gc.ca/lf/English/6_1_1_1.asp?FlashEnabled=1&id=3113
And another on Cpl Fuchko of Calgary.
http://www.army.forces.gc.ca/lf/English/6_1_1_1.asp?id=2813

Duty With Honour

I would like to share with you all a recent msg that Jody sent out on his Facebook group "Jodys Next Step" I know not everyone is on Facebook so I thought to post it here. His email is very well put and to the point.
:cdnsalute:
Hi all
Jody here. Just wishing you all happy holidays and asking you to stay safe. On Jan 11 it will be two years since I lost both legs below the knee but I was serving our country and it comes with the job description. But land mines aren't the only way to lose body parts.

An amputation can happen in many ways. When I was in the hospital I met people that had lost legs in car accidents and arms to electricity. A good friend lost a leg and almost the other when she was hit by a car and pinned in between that one and hers. Another woman I met lost a leg to a fire in her home. Another fellow lost both above the knee to a fire after a car accident. And one good friend lost a leg and an arm in a motorcycle accident. These are just to name a few.

Point is be careful at all the parties and don't drink and drive. And not just your car. Don't drive a sled or a quad or even your snow blower if you've had to much holiday cheer. Its not worth it. Never mind what you might do to yourself. Think about everyone else who would be affected. I want to see you all safe and sound after the holidays and ready to help out with the 5km anyway that you can!

So from Aylah (who is three months today), Alannah and myself Merry Christmas and a Happy New Year! I know it will be for me.

JODY

Duty With Honour :cdn:

Posting a link to the British version of Soldier On- Battle Back. We have been chatting with LCol Hargreaves of BB and we look forward to doing some joint events together in the future.
http://www.mod.uk/DefenceInternet/AboutDefence/WhatWeDo/TrainingandExercises/BattleBack

Duty With Honour

Good Day to all; check out this link to  British Limbless Ex-Servicemens Association.  :salute:
http://www.independent.co.uk/news/appeals/indy-appeal/epic-voyage-of-the-veterans-1128210.html

Duty With Honour :salute: :cdn:
Soldier On

Here is a letter from the MND posted on our forces.gc.ca site.

Minister's Letter
Letter of response to the Ombudsman
December 19, 2008

Ms. Mary McFadyen
Interim Ombudsman
National Defence and Canadian Forces
100 Metcalfe Street
12th Floor
Ottawa ON K1P 5M1

Dear Ms. McFadyen:

Thank you for sending me your report on the state of mental-health services at Canadian Forces Base (CFB) Petawawa.  I appreciate the opportunity to read the report in advance of its official release.

Since the report encompasses a number of concerns regarding the care and treatment of military members and their families, I have asked the Chief Military Personnel to review the document and provide me with his assessment.

One of my priorities is to ensure that our Canadian Forces members receive the best care possible.  In that regard, Canadian Forces Health Services is implementing an ambitious and innovative healthcare reform process aimed at providing a patient-oriented health service to better meet the needs of our Canadian Forces members and their families.  But there are challenges that we must cope with, such as attracting medical care providers in the regions.  The Department of National Defence is now examining other staffing and care delivery strategies to address the situation.  These challenges are shared by the civilian healthcare sector.

I am pleased to report that a Joint Personnel Support Unit will be established at CFB Petawawa and in other locations throughout the country.  The Department of National Defence-Veterans Affairs Canada Centre for the Support of Injured Members, Veterans and their Families ensures the coordination and facilitation of standardized, high-quality, consistent care and administrative support during all phases of recovery, rehabilitation, and reintegration – on return to service, or transition following release – for all injured and ill Canadian Forces members and veterans, their families, and the families of the deceased.  As for the services of our chaplains, these are valuable and contribute to the care of our military families.  I support the notion of providing the resources required for high-quality chaplain services for our Canadian Forces members and their families.

The report has been reviewed, and you will find, enclosed, the departmental responses to the report.

Once again, let me thank you for the opportunity to review the report prior to its official publication.

Sincerely,

Peter G. MacKay

Good Day to all; I hope everyone had a great holiday season.  On Feb 1st CF members both active and retired will gather on Mt Washington for the Canadian Forces Veterans Learn to Ski Week. I have provided the link to the VISASS calender web page, scroll down to the bottom of the page to view what the Veterans Ski week is all about. The Canadian Wounded Warriors Found has also made a kind donation in order to help out with costs during the week.
http://www.visasweb.ca/events-calendar.php

Happy New Year to all.

Duty With Honour
Soldier On

Good Day to all;

I would like to give you a quick update on some recent fundraising events that took place;

MCpl David Hutchings (Princess Louise Fusiliers) headed a Halifax Armouries fundraiser. They raised a total of $1100 in Honour of Cpl Shaun Fevens and split the total between Soldier On and Fisher House in Landstuhl Germany.

Janice Voth volunteer editor of the newsletter "Vision" which is  put out by the Military Christian Fellowship of Canada made support our troops towels and a recipe for SOT cookies.  They included this in their winter issue along with our weblink. She sold the ones she made at their meeting and donated the money to the SO Fund.

The recent Toronto Police Service fundraiser was supported by a few local business that I would like to mention, Marriott Toronto DT, Delta Grandview Resort Huntsville, The Lakeridge Golf Club Broklin ON, Big Daddy's Crab Shack and Oyster Bar TO, Lonestar Texas Grill TO and Mr. Greeks Rest. TO.

We also received many personal donations over the holiday season and I would like to take this time to thank everyone who continues to support the program.

THANK YOU.
Duty With Honour

Good Day to all;

I just received this update from Kingston. Sgt Scott Milne of Kingston suffered a severe spinal cord injury during a hockey practice, He is heavily involved in the Kingston community as a Volunteer Firefighter and hockey coach just to name a couple. He has a blog called Scott's blog and you can read updates on what he is up to. They have also posted an upcoming fundraiser for the family on Feb 14th.

Here is an email sent from Maj Chris Catry of Kingston to be distributed widely:

Base Comd, BCWO, CFBK Staff Principals:

As you're aware, Sgt Milne was seriously injured in a hockey practice on 31 Oct 08.  He was rushed to KGH and put on life support and had no movement from the neck down as he suffered damage to his spinal cord at the 4th cervical vertebrae. Currently, he has shown some progress, but remains in ICU.  Up to date progress is detailed at the blog at:
http://scottmilne.ca/blog1.php He has managed to sleep an entire night without breathing support and has wiggled fingers/toes, all of which are good signs.
As Sgt Milne will require extensive rehab in the coming months, a ctte comprised of Queen’s University (Kirsty’s {Sgt Milne's wife} employer), 2 EW Sqn (Sgt Milne's unit), Kingston Fire Department (Sgt Milne is a Chief of a Volunteer Fire Unit), Kingston Area Minor Hockey Association (Sgt Milne is a coach and their 3 sons all play hockey), friends and family will host a "Milne Family Fundraiser Dance and Auction" on Saturday, February 14, 2009 at the Ambassador Conference Resort from 8:00 PM – 1:00 AM.  The band ‘Stay Tuned' will be playing
The encl provides info on acquiring tickets and info on donating auction items.  Might provide a nice option for a Valentine's night out and in support of an injured soldier and his family.  Plse distr widely and consider attending!

C.K. (Chris) Catry

Best Wishes go out to Scott and his family.

Duty With Honour

Back