• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Soldier On Sports Recovery/Rehabilitation Fund

Takeniteasy

Reaction score
Good Day to all;

My name is Sgt Andrew McLean and I am a SAR TECH stationed in Winnipeg with 435 Sqn. I am also a former member of the 1st BAT. Royal Canadian Regiment.

I am writing this post to let you all know about a program that is being worked on by the Canadian Paralympic Committee called "Soldier On". This program uses sports as its focus for recovery and rehabilitation for seriously injured or disabled CF members. A recent article was printed in various CF newspapers, Trident, Contact, Pet Post, Voxair to name a few.
I called the CPC back in August wanting to find out if they would be interested in developing a program that would enable CF members to continue with their active lifestyle even after sustaining life changing injuries! They had already put together a project proposal that was two pages outlining the Soldier On program and what it could do for the CF. To make that side of the story short here we are today developing and raising funds for the Soldier on program. There will be two parts to this program one being a Sports summit where all the resources will come togethere along with the CF members themselves and introduce the different types of Paralympic Sports to the CF member. The second part of this program is what all the fund raising efforts will support. If a CF member chooses to continue with their active lifestyle then sports prosthesis and paralympic sporting gear will have to be provided. These items can run in the 10's of thousands of dollars not to mention the coaches, trainers, travel needed to introduce injured CF members to different types of sports. No matter what degree of injury anyone can participate in sports given the right environment and the OPPORTUNITY!!! Our goal is NOT to create a Paralympic athlete but to allow those who have sustained life altering injuries the OPPORTUNITY to continue with an active lifestyle.
One  other very important note in regards to this program. " the money raised will go directly to the CF member regardless if their injury was service related or not"

As of today I have garnered CF members in every province to help raise funds for this program, some of the fund raising efforts include  Diners with guest speakers, golf tournaments, rock concert ( children's hospital and the Soldier On program will split the proceeds ) with the help of a local Halifax radio station. Just to name a few!!
Like the Wounded Warrior program the Soldier On program will ease the recovery/rehabilitation of our fellow CF members.
The Soldier On program will need to be sustained for years to come with efforts towards getting the necessary funds so that those who wish to RUN again can and those who wish to lead an ACTIVE lifestyle can.
Someday you or I may benefit from the Soldier On program.

Please feel free to email me at acmclean@shaw.ca and ask any questions you like.
Also if you would like to donate on-line you can by going to www.paralympic.ca then follow the links to the Paralympic Foundation and to their on-line donation page. In the instruction block note your request for the Soldier On program, dedicate it to someone or just let them know how you feel!!!!

Also if you would like to join the Soldier On team and help with fundraising/awareness then send me a note.

Duty With Honour

Sgt Andrew McLean
acmclean@shaw.ca

:cdn: As of today we have CF members in Whitehorse, Comox, Esquimalt, Edmonton, Winnipeg, Kingston, Ottawa, St-Jean, Bagotville, Goose Bay working at promoting and raising funds for Soldier On. I will be doing some media interviews in the next couple of days outlining the program and what other CF members are doing across the country for Soldier On.

I have also emailed a number of CF members the Soldier On Pledge form which is from the Canadian Paralympic Foundation. They are a charitable nonprofit organization that is collecting funds for Soldier On. Tax Receipts can be provided!!

Although you can get a tax receipt from a donation I would like all CF members to view this as a small investment into possibly their own future. It is part of what we do! We try to manage the risk but every now and then it is unavoidable! So lets be ready and prepared when it does happen and take care of our fellow members!

Duty With Honour
Soldier On

I would like to thank all those who have emailed me and have volunteered their time and efforts to this worth while initiative.

:salute: :cdn:Sgt Andrew McLean :cdn:

Good Day to all;

I am posting a picture of Sgt Steve Danial who recently made a trip with his wife to Mt Washington on Vancouver Island. He learned to sit ski in 3 days and was on his own by the end of the week. He and his wife were able to make the trip due to some very generous donations on in the name of Soldier On. He and his wife made the trip from Sudbury so it was not cheap. The picture says it all!
Thankyou to everyone who has invested their time and efforts to help Soldier On.

See attachment

Duty With Honour :cdn:
Soldier On

Lets hope you see are fellow CF members at a Canadian facility in the future. The "Soldier On" program has the potential to provide this type of care if enough money is raised through private donations as well as government assistance! We are limited by only our funds and imaginations!

See the latest post by myself on the Soldier On Sports Recovery/Rehab topic. There you will see Sgt Steve Danial monoskiing for the first time only 6 months after his accident!!

Duty With Honour :cdn:
Soldier On

Sgt Andrew McLean

Below you will find an email sent to me on efforts made by Carman and Joan from Prince Albert Sask! Thanks so much for your time and efforts.
:cdn:

Hi Sgt McLean;
I'm Carman, Bonita's in law. Joan(wife) and I did two things with a lot of help from a whole bunch of folks. Basically, I work for Corrections Canada at the minimum secrurity pen here in Prince Albert.
When Bonita told us what you were planning, I went to work and asked a nuse in health care what she thought and she suggested that we approach our warden and ask for permission to promote the Soldier On programme. We asked if we could sell red t-shirts with the Support the Troops logo for $20.00. We would buy the t-shirts thru cannex and whatever money was left over would go to your cause. Our Warden said yes and volunteered to approach the warden at the much larger Sask. Pen next door so we could run there as well. Natalie(the nurse) designated her sister who works at Sask Pen as our agent there and away we went. We will were the t-shirts on feb. 14 and our warden has promised to help model them. I sent the order away today for 129 t-shirts and Tanya Lane at canex in Pet. gave us a real deal on them. Therefore we are able to send even more cash. should be just a hair over $1400.00 from that. Joan did a phone campaign just among close family and a few friends and raised another$400.00.( Our SARTECH son and his wife chipped in on this one) Anyway, we are very pleased to be able to help and the best of luck with the run. Joan and Carman Bibby
:cdn:

Well done troops, well done "Soldier On" -- shared in accordance with the "fair dealing" provisions, Section 29, of the Copyright Act.

Sports plan targets wounded soldiers
Disabled Canadian veterans could be competing at 2010 Olympics

Clare Ogilvie, The Province, 28 Feb 07
Article Link

Wounded Canadian soldiers will be recruited to become elite Olympic athletes.

The Department of National Defence is working with the Canadian Paralympic Committee on a program called "Soldier On" to help members of the military who are wounded in action, on the job, or otherwise, to use sport to recover.

The hope is that some will go on to compete in the 2010 Paralympic Games. "I would think there is a good chance that we will probably produce some very good athletes," said Lt.-Col. Gerry Blais, director of casualty support for the Canadian Forces.

He pointed to the soldiers' high level of fitness, sense of duty and drive as strong assets for a Paralympian. Blais said the partnership is a way to help disabled soldiers deal with life-changing trauma.

"The ultimate aim is to promote healthy lifestyle and show [them] that their life isn't over because they have undergone an amputation or have a spinal-cord injury or something of that nature," said Blais from his Ottawa office.

Funding and other details for the program are still being worked out.

About 328 soldiers have been disabled since Canada arrived in Afghanistan in 2001. Annually, another 20 are disabled while serving.

Cpl. Jesse Melnyck lost his right eye last August when he was shot in the head while serving in Afghanistan. It was the third tour of duty for the 25-year-old signal operator, now based at CFB Petawawa, Ont. He plans to attend a summit on the program this May to find out more details.

"I really do believe in service to the nation, that is who I am," said Melnyck. "I think military members will see this as a challenge and they will want to be involved. They want people to see they are not broken."

Sgt. Karen McCoy, an aviation technician at CFB Gagetown, N.B., dreams of running in the Paralympics. "It is a dream for me to run," said the mother-of-two who lost her leg to cancer two years ago. "I don't give up. My kids would love to see that, and I would love to do it for other people in the service to show them that you don't give up."

It's a win-win situation, said Brain MacPherson, chief operating officer for the Paralympic committee, adding the Paralympics were started to help veterans.

The U.S. already runs a similar program and has a pool of about 20,000 soldiers to draw upon. "They are betting a full 10-per-cent of the U.S. Paralympic team going to Beijing for the [2008] Summer Games will be those soldiers who got injured in Iraq," MacPherson said.

Master Cpl. Brett Rickard lost his leg just above the knee while working on an army fuel truck in 1988.

He believes strength in spirit and the support Forces members give each other could help put military personnel on the podium. "It would be awesome," he said from his base at North Bay, Ont. "I would be very proud to see Canadian Forces members on the podium."

And sit-skier Josh Dueck, a non-soldier who is training to compete at the 2010 Games, is looking forward to the military competing.

"I believe the work ethic and morale that these individuals from the military can bring into sport is huge," he said. "I have had the opportunity to ski with some people injured at war and they are phenomenal athletes. Ski racing to them is not intimidating . . . these guys have been shot at, so they say, 'What, all I am going to get is a face full of snow.'"

Another story, shared in accordance with the "fair dealing" provisions, Section 29, of the Copyright Act.

NOTE:  Sgt. Steve Daniel's experience will be aired on TSN at 11 a.m. Sunday (11 Mar 07) on a program called Bell Spirit of the Game.

Former soldier adapts to life after spinal injury
Laura Stradiotto, Sudbury Star, 3 Mar 07
Article link

From Afghanistan to a basketball court and college classroom, a Canadian military sergeant accepted a new mission in life after he was paralyzed in a parachuting accident.

Steve Daniel, 32, has since returned home to Hanmer and will retire later this month after 13 years in the Canadian Forces.

In June 2005, while demonstrating a free-fall parachuting method, Daniel damaged a vertebra that resulted in a serious spinal chord injury.

"I came in a little too fast and misjudged my landing," Daniel said from his home.

Last fall, he started studying business administration at Cambrian College, but has also learned to play basketball, among other sports, in his wheelchair.

Daniel is one of more than 300 soldiers who have suffered a disability since Canada arrived in Afghanistan in 2001.

Now, wounded soldiers are being recruited to compete in the 2010 Paralympic Games.

Together, the Department of National Defence and the Canadian Paralympic Committee are spearheading the Soldier On program to raise money and purchase equipment for injured soldiers.
The program will help to speed up the rehabilitative process, reintegrate injured soldiers and increase their quality of life.

"With 42 deaths in Afghanistan, a lot of guys are coming back home with debilitating injuries," said Daniel.

After his accident, Daniel had his back reconstructed and was then sent to a civilian hospital for rehabilitation.

"It's not an easy adjustment," Daniel said about learning to manoeuvre a wheelchair.

"You basically have to learn how to live your life all over again." Daniel said at the time the military didn't have programs to help with his rehabilitation. Previous spending cuts meant the military didn't even have its own rehabilitation hospital, he said.

"It wasn't until I got to Sudbury that I started basketball" with the Rolling Thunder, Sudbury's wheelchair basketball team.

Daniel has to borrow a wheelchair each time he plays with the team, since purchasing a new chair would cost between $4,000 and $6,000.

Daniel hopes to benefit from grants available through the Soldier On program so he can take basketball and other sports to a new level.

Daniel and other injured soldiers will attend a summit in Ottawa later this May where they'll get the chance to meet Paralympic athletes who will introduce them to competitive sports.

During his military career, Daniel received a gold medal in a competition displaying his skills and he is looking forward to the day he'll be able to compete again.

Daniel entered the Canadian Forces after graduating from high school in Levack. His first peacekeeping mission was in the conflict zone of Croatia in 1994. He accepted two tours to Bosnia and in 2003 spent six months in Kabul.

"Kabul at that time was not so bad," he said. "There were a couple incidents of suicide bombings, but we were working with the Afghan police in patrolling the city."

Daniel was part of the first mission in the country's capital city and, tragically, two men from his regiment, Sgt. Robert Alan Short, 42, of Fredericton, and Cpl. Robbie Christopher Beerenfenger, 29, of Ottawa, died in a land-mine explosion in October 2003.

"It's a hard life being in the military, especially with a family - I have a four-year-old son," he said.

The same year, Daniel was sent to Afghanistan, his son, Owen, was born and he missed the first few months of his boy's life.

Today, Daniel is optimistic about family and his new direction. He built a wheelchair-accessible home and last fall moved his family from Petawawa to Hanmer.

In January, he was invited to Vancouver to learn sit skiing.

"It was awesome," he said. "I picked it up pretty quick."

lstradiotto@thesudburystar.com

Sgt. Steve Daniel's experience will be aired on TSN at 11 a.m. Sunday on a program called Bell Spirit of the Game.

To donate to the Soldier On program, go to http://www.paralympic.ca and click on the "Soldier On" icon.

Good Day to all;

TSN Spirit of the Games episode on "Soldier On"
TSN recently aired an episode about Soldier On, you can see that program on their website for repeat air times or you can watch on your computer without commercials. It is very well done.
The fund raising is still going steady. St Jean Recruit School has informed me that they are at 10000 and counting. We now have CF members on 16 different bases raising funds and awareness. The first Paralympic Sports Summit will be in May in Ottawa. We are now working with CFPSA to coordinate the fund raising efforts across the country. It is never to late to volunteer your time if you are interested in helping.

Thanks again for all who have been working hard to get this program up and running.

Duty With Honour
Soldier On

Sgt Andrew McLean :cdn:

Good Day Everyone;

Recruit School St Jean raises 10,893 dollars for Soldier On! Thank you to all those who gave their time and great efforts to promote and spread the word in St Jean.
20000 and counting!

Duty With Honour

Sgt Andrew McLean

IRONMAN3 said:
Good Day to all;

My name is Sgt Andrew McLean and I am a SAR TECH stationed in Winnipeg with 435 Sqn. I am also a former member of the 1st BAT. Royal Canadian Regiment.

I am writing this post to let you all know about a program that is being worked on by the Canadian Paralympic Committee called "Soldier On". This program uses sports as its focus for recovery and rehabilitation for seriously injured or disabled CF members. A recent article was printed in various CF newspapers, Trident, Contact, Pet Post, Voxair to name a few.
I called the CPC back in August wanting to find out if they would be interested in developing a program that would enable CF members to continue with their active lifestyle even after sustaining life changing injuries! They had already put together a project proposal that was two pages outlining the Soldier On program and what it could do for the CF. To make that side of the story short here we are today developing and raising funds for the Soldier on program. There will be two parts to this program one being a Sports summit where all the resources will come togethere along with the CF members themselves and introduce the different types of Paralympic Sports to the CF member. The second part of this program is what all the fund raising efforts will support. If a CF member chooses to continue with their active lifestyle then sports prosthesis and paralympic sporting gear will have to be provided. These items can run in the 10's of thousands of dollars not to mention the coaches, trainers, travel needed to introduce injured CF members to different types of sports. No matter what degree of injury anyone can participate in sports given the right environment and the OPPORTUNITY!!! Our goal is NOT to create a Paralympic athlete but to allow those who have sustained life altering injuries the OPPORTUNITY to continue with an active lifestyle.
One  other very important note in regards to this program. " the money raised will go directly to the CF member regardless if their injury was service related or not"

As of today I have garnered CF members in every province to help raise funds for this program, some of the fund raising efforts include  Diners with guest speakers, golf tournaments, rock concert ( children's hospital and the Soldier On program will split the proceeds ) with the help of a local Halifax radio station. Just to name a few!!
Like the Wounded Warrior program the Soldier On program will ease the recovery/rehabilitation of our fellow CF members.
The Soldier On program will need to be sustained for years to come with efforts towards getting the necessary funds so that those who wish to RUN again can and those who wish to lead an ACTIVE lifestyle can.
Someday you or I may benefit from the Soldier On program.

Please feel free to email me at acmclean@shaw.ca and ask any questions you like.
Also if you would like to donate on-line you can by going to www.paralympic.ca then follow the links to the Paralympic Foundation and to their on-line donation page. In the instruction block note your request for the Soldier On program, dedicate it to someone or just let them know how you feel!!!!

Also if you would like to join the Soldier On team and help with fundraising/awareness then send me a note.

Duty With Honour

Sgt Andrew McLean
acmclean@shaw.ca

Hello,
It really touches me, your post is very informative its an open minder to all. My son also adheres honour in service he is currently in Military school for boy preparing for a good start for military

Good Day to all;

This weekend in Ottawa many across the CF will be gathering in Ottawa for the first Paralympic Summit. This will be a fact finding and education type opportunity for those who have been disabled/seriously injured and as well many who administer the recovery/rehabilitation programs. There will be more news in the upcoming week!!

Sgt Steve Danial (retired) received his basketball wheelchair this past week. He is very appreciative to those who have given their time and efforts to make this initial purchase possiable. He will be showing it off at the Paralympic Summit this week I hope.

Along with Steve there are many others who will require equipment and support and I hope we can fullfill their requests in the near future. I think it means that much more when Steve is on a chair that comes from CF members themselves. Lets extend our hands out to the many others who need our help and accept the hands that reach out to us.

Duty With Honour
Soldier On

Sgt Andrew McLean :cdn: :salute:

May 24, 2007

Injured soldiers meet veteran amputees to swap yarns
By KATHLEEN HARRIS, NATIONAL BUREAU Sun Media

Canadian soldiers disabled or maimed in combat are gathering in Ottawa this weekend to learn about using sports as a tool for rehabilitation.

The Soldier on Paralympic Sport Summit at Carleton University will bring together 13 soldiers injured in Afghanistan and veteran amputees to swap stories.

"Guys who have been handicapped for a number of years and new soldiers can share experiences. They could more or less be a mentor for the newly injured members," said Master Warrant Officer John Frezza, an organizer.

Sapper Mike McTeague, who was seriously injured by a suicide blast that killed four of his comrades last fall, sees it as an opportunity to meet others confronting similar hurdles. The Orillia resident has received excellent treatment, but getting rehab equipment -- an exercise bike and special chair -- was like "pulling teeth. The system is kind of picking and choosing who gets what. Some guys have had it real easy and some guys aren't really getting anything."

Cliff Chadderton, CEO of the War Amps of Canada, said today's vets like amputees from past wars often face long waits for quality prosthetics. "It's a serious problem."

Paul is attending that one.  I can't wait to hear how it was.  Good luck to all of those involved.

Below you will find a link to the notes from the MND/CDS press conf given in Ottawa on the 26th May in Ottawa during the Soldier On Paralympic Summit. I have also attached a photo of the puck drop by the MND/CDS during the hockey demonstration.

http://soldieron.wordpress.com/2007/05/28/general-hillier-new-paralympic-program/

We are now closing in on the 30,000 dollar mark!! Thanks again to all who have given their time and efforts. 

For those who did not see the TSN Spirit of the Game special on the Soldier On program you can click the link below to view, it is 16 min without commercials!!! Enjoy. It is the second episode!!

http://tsn.ca/shows/bell_spirit_of_the_game/

Good Day to all;

There will be an advisory meeting regarding the Soldier On program on the 25th of June in Kingston. For those of you who have been keeping an interest in the developments of this program your feedback would be appreciated. Please feel free to add your comments or suggestions to an already successful program. Grass roots participation is the key focus and foundation of Soldier On and we all can make a difference.

Duty With Honour
Soldier On
Sgt Andrew McLean

Great work from our team at NORAD!!  Well done everyone.

Andrew,

Just a short note to you and all of the team.  A group of 6 Canadians working at NORAD HQ in Colorado Springs completed the Ride The Rockies bike tour(425 miles in 7 days) last week in honour of the Soldier On Fund.  Between formal donations, a 50/50 draw and a family baseball night we raised about $4.400 Cdn.  I am compiling final pledge sheets and will be sending the money to Mr. Winfield this week.  Formal story and cheque presentation photo with the team and our Deputy Commander, Lt-General Findley to follow. 

Thanks for your help and keep up the great work.

Dave 

Here is a news story from the Army website about the Soldier On Paralympic Summit in May!
http://www.army.forces.gc.ca/LF/English/6_1_1_1.asp?id=2078

If the link does not work for you go to the Army web page and click on news archives, it was post July 2 I believe!

Duty With Honour
Soldier On

Condolences to the families of our latest fallen. :salute: :cdn:

http://www.airforce.forces.gc.ca/site/newsroom/news_e.asp?id=3923

Another fundraiser in Colorado by Canadians and American service members. Well done to all who volunteered and participated down south for Soldier On!!

Duty With Honour
Soldier On
Sgt Andrew McLean

$40,000 and counting, thanks to all who have given their time and efforts. We continue the uphill fight and we will succeed.
CFB Trenton will be hosting a Golf tournament on the 23rd of August in support of Soldier On.
Shiela Horncastle is our latest volunteer from Gagetown N.B. and has set up a group on Facebook with links to articles and news clips about Soldier On! Thanks Shiela for volunteering your time!!
WO Monsigneur and family along with a few others in Trenton have volunteered their time and efforts to put together the Golf tour. in support of Soldier On. Thanks again for your support and great efforts.

We have been gaining momentum slowly but surely and across the CF from coast to coast to coast members and those who support the CF are doing their part in whatever way they can afford to support Canada's Forces! Thankyou to all.

http://www.facebook.com/group.php?gid=2477933209

Duty With Honour
Soldier On

Sgt Andrew McLean

Back