• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Soldier On Sports Recovery/Rehabilitation Fund

I wanted to know if your application for any reason is rejected is there an appeal process?? If so please send me in the right direction. Thanks for your time and consideration.

E.R. Campbell said:
More on the South Pole Allied Challenge 2013 here, incl bios of MCpl Chris Downey and Cpl Alexandre Beaudin D’Anjou.

According to a report in the Ottawa Citizen the race, per se, is off but the three teams will still go to the South Pole - hopefully by next weekend.

Runner said:
Good day everyone, I am posting a link to another TSN Team Canada Sledge Hockey Profile. This one is of Cpl Dominic Larocques teamate Kevin Rempel, this storey includes Kevin's father who also suffered a spinal cord injury. Each one chose a different path and the outcomes were very different.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D1TfwIde9Jg

Andrew :salute: :cdn:

Dominic Larocques becomes a World Champion again yesterday with Team Canada. Felicitations Dominic!
http://www.hockeycanada.ca/en-ca/Team-Canada/Men/WSHC/2013-WSHC

Runner said:
Dominic Larocques becomes a World Champion again yesterday with Team Canada. Felicitations Dominic!
http://www.hockeycanada.ca/en-ca/Team-Canada/Men/WSHC/2013-WSHC

And he got an apple to boot!

E.R. Campbell said:
According to a report in the Ottawa Citizen the race, per se, is off but the three teams will still go to the South Pole - hopefully by next weekend.

And, according to a report in The Straits Times, "Prince Harry on Friday became the first member of Britain's royal family to reach the South Pole after a three-week charity trek with injured military veterans from Britain, the United States, Canada and Australia. Prince Harry and the 12 servicemen and women reached the globe's most southerly point at 1200 GMT following a 200-mile (320km) journey across the frozen wastes of Antarctica."

Edit: to add

And here is his call to the challenge sponsors reporting their safe arrival at the South Pole.

Well done to all, especially MCpl Chris Downey and Cpl Alexandre Beaudin D’Anjou of Canada.

With the Invictus Games in full swing, I'm surprised there has been no queries, comments or interest on the site ahead of the games or after the Opening Ceremony. I know some CAF members who were approved "Community Service" special leave in order to volunteer at the games. So the level of support from the military is quite high. Most events are free or cheap to attend. They've even brought in brand name stars for both ceremonies. No, the IG are not as big league as the Olympics, but the message the games sends to injured and ill members / veterans is a strong one.

#InvictusGames #IAM #IG2017 @InvictusToronto @IGTeamCanada #SoldierOn

The low attendance at the Opening Ceremonies despite the entertainment and the minimal tv coverage is unfortunately sending a message that although these Games are important to the participants, much like CISM or even the Special Olympics this does not have the same special meaning to the general public.  The continuing emphasis on PTSD of which more than half the Canadian team suffers is sending a mixed message. I am not aware of an international sporting competition dedicated to people with depression and heart disease.  I know some of the international participants at IG are cancer survivors or were injured in non-duty accidents so this too puzzles me.  Before anyone get excited and scream that I am comparing IG to Special Olympics, I am knowingly using it as an example of a special interest group that does not receive general public and media attention.

I'll probably get slammed for this but I saw an interview on the bus to TO and the person was reaching for a box on a shelf and it slipped and hurt her neck/back.

Well I'm sure  there's no games for hundreds of WSIB injured reaching for something on a shelf.......

I agree with the comparisons:
- CISM athletics have led to Olympics,
- Invictus athletics compared to Para-Olympics.

I know the corporate funding (advertising, television etc...) is magnitudes lower for these games. With few exceptions, most Invictus events are free for the public, something rarely seen so broadly applied at Olympic level events. Even the recent Pan Am games (semi-professional feeder team) sold tickets to the public in Toronto, "at a low rate".

I like seeing that final events are sold out.

@HRHHenryWindsor said:
The wise will admire u. The wishful will envy u. The weak will hate u. This is the reality for those who dare to make a difference!#Invictus

Back