• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

"So You Want To Be A Pilot" Merged Thread 2002 - 2018

Status
Not open for further replies.
Bo

As you mentioned......it pays the 'BILLS'. 

Without the Foreign Students, Moose Jaw would likely have to close.

Canada also has agreements with NATO and other nations for the use of Moose Jaw as a Training Base in Joint Training programs and agreements.  (Again, it pays the Bills).

The fact that Canadians are not flocking to become CF Pilots, or that many can not pass the entrance requirements, means we must find other means to pay the Bills to keep our facility and Instructors operational and current.  Foreign nations paying to have pilots trained here helps solve that problem.  Besides, many nations do not have the open Air Space to conduct such training as you will find around Moose Jaw. 

In the end IT PAYS THE BILLS...... ;D

Bo said:
I recently arrived in Moose Jaw and noticed alot of foriegn students, particularly Hungarians, Italians, Brits, and Singaporians. If we're having problems pumping students out of the Jaw, why are we giving away slots to foreign students? For example, on the next course, there will be 8 Canadians and 3 Italians.

Now, I think the majority of foriegn students are training for fighters but still, they are using resources (instructors, aircraft, maintenance, etc.) that could be used to train more Canadian pilots.

I understand we make quite a bit of money by selling our services as well as keeping up good relations with our allies, but where are our priorities? With the airline industry picking up and the retirement of baby boomers, the CF is gonna be hurting for pilots pretty soon, if not already.

Hence the reason the Air Division is pushing PFT extended, it takes NFTC out of the loop, and Moose Jaw becomes fighter selection in a round about way. 

J_Muir

Yeah the process is long and at times boring.  But its all about attitude, play the game just like you do in BASIC only this game lasts about a 1-2 years and not 3 months.  You know many people tend to focus on the end result... wings.  Try focusing on the journey because when you get your wings its no over, it will be a few years before you can be operational anyways.  I just want to fly too...  Make the most of your OJT experience.  There are tons of different courses that you can do while you wait.  Just to name a few: Avalanche survival, 9mm, C7, grenade even get your 404 (mil. drivers license) and not to mention your squadron activities. 

Take it all in and enjoy it because later on you won't have as much free time.  Everyone is so caught up on time to wings they forget that they are in the military.  Learn what other trades do, talk to people around you.  You know personally I don`t mind giving up some spots in Moose Jaw for the foreign kids.  The opportunity to talk/work with military people from other countries is an awesome experience.   While going through 2nd language training I was lucky to talk to 2 different courses of foreign students.  Just to hear about their experiences was eye opening.

Anyways I just wanted to add some positivity to the whole process because knowing that you have a stack of files the size of a C-17 to photocopy can be at times discouraging  ;D

Hey Chou!  How did you manage to get the 9mm course?  (Lucky jerk! ;D )  I've asked about it around here a few times and got blank stares. 

Thanks for the words of wisdon Chou, I appreciate it. Completely undestand what you're saying with the OJT experiences and courses etc. I guess it's just a small part (and a fun part0 of the big picture.

Out of curiosity, are you a pilot or in the process of becomming one? I'm always very curious and open to other people's experiences.

MAJONES said:
Hey Chou!  How did you manage to get the 9mm course?

Where are you currently posted?  Every airforce base offers the 9mm qualification.

Zoomie said:
Where are you currently posted?  Every airforce base offers the 9mm qualification.

Yep, everyone in MARLANT, including Shearwater, is required to do 9mm and C7 every 2 years.

I'm posted to CFRC Toronto for my OJT.  I've asked around the unit and the ASU, but come up empty.  Anyone know what the chances are that I could arrange to do the course at Borden through, say, 400 sqn?

Out of curiosity, are you a pilot or in the process of becomming one?
I`m at 438 ETAH doing my OJT, heading to Portage in July.

MAJONES,
Our unit runs at least 2 courses a year to get people qualified on the C7 and 9mm.

MAJONES said:
I'm posted to CFRC Toronto for my OJT.  Anyone know what the chances are that I could arrange to do the course at Borden through, say, 400 sqn?

Most likely you are SOL.  As an OJTer you would be filling in slots that your current unit couldn't fill.  Since the CFRC doesn't have a requirement to maintain its DAG status, there wouldn't be any slots for you to backfill. 

If you want to shoot and maintain an OJT position in the GTA - get a job working at a Militia unit.

At a tac hel (or SOA sqn), you do 9mm and C7 every year.

Chou, you almost had me fooled, lol. I know all you do is go to timmies, surf the net, go to the pool (cute lifeguards btw), and leave work at 3. How's Claudio doing? Keeping my chair warm? Are the claims piling up yet? Give him the goat for me.

Bo said:
Chou, you almost had me fooled, lol. I know all you do is go to timmies, surf the net, go to the pool (cute lifeguards btw), and leave work at 3. How's Claudio doing? Keeping my chair warm? Are the claims piling up yet? Give him the goat for me.

I can only assume that there's already been many an ass-kicking in the Jaw...

Hey you gotta send out a positive message to the public!  Just because I may or may not ;)
go to timmies, surf the net, go to the pool (cute lifeguards btw), and leave work at 3.
doesn't me mean I don't have fun, do my work or do the things I said.  :)

p.s. Claudio was about to go to Portage finally... but then he received a call from the MO who said his surgery is booked for end of June.  Poor guy is going to be on OJT for 2 years before he gets a chance to go to PFT.

Howdy All,

Finally got my offer; CEOTP pilot.. is anybody on here intimately familiar with the entry program and if so could they pm me?

I am 2LT and was about to be Armor Officer but I ended up changing my mind. I would like to be a pilot as I already have done the simulator test in trenton and was very successfull and I have already my private license in the civi world. So I am currently at the language school as I finished BOTC not long ago. As I am still new to the CF i would like to know how can i switch trade? Shoul I release from the CF and reapply as I have my BOTC and simulator and private license on my side, or is there an easier way?

Thanks!

bobby: you probably signed a contract with the CF.  Honour it.  You were not selected for Pilot DEO and the CEOTP program is just about the same competition.  I would say your best bet would be to request an occupation transfer to Pilot.

Max

In two hours I have the chance to be reinterviewed for pilot as I was not competitive due to a new change. I am just 1 point away (opposed to being 9 above the standard before the change). Is there anything I can say (without lying) or study that will help me?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back