• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Snowbird Jet Crashes Into House in Kamloops- May 17 2020

No.  In the Tutor, each occupant is responsible to eject him(her)self.  In more modern aircraft, you can set the seat in many settings (if front seat goes, both seat go, if any seat goes, both seat go or individually).

Plenty of video now starting to circulate from the Kamloops Airport. You can see the ejection, plane rolled, corrected out, ejection occurs, two seats launch clear. However no chute deployment before it disappears from view of the cameras. A lot of hills in that area.

I can't tell from the video, nor do I know enough about the aircraft.

Was it two ejections, or the canopy blowing clear and one ejection?  How evident would the canopy charges be?

Occam said:
I can't tell from the video, nor do I know enough about the aircraft.

Was it two ejections, or the canopy blowing clear and one ejection?  How evident would the canopy charges be?

The video i saw was from the perspective of the right side of the airfield. From that perspective I saw one long object going to the right of the video frame and two other objects going left.

MilEME09 said:
Plenty of video now starting to circulate from the Kamloops Airport. You can see the ejection, plane rolled, corrected out, ejection occurs, two seats launch clear. However no chute deployment before it disappears from view of the cameras. A lot of hills in that area.

Looks like they ejected horizontally.  That can’t be good at that altitude. 

Brother is an aircraft mechanic, working in Kamloops right now.

Pilot and a Mechanic were on board, one fatality, one injured  :(
This is as per him, so for me it is verified legitimate information.. I will understand if others feel otherwise.

Dark days for sure.

TSM A said:
Not confirmed, but nurse on site reports female occupant has died. male occupant landed on roof nearby.

If true, I sincerely hope that there was time to notify the NOK before Global choose to print this.

All lets refrain from hearsay until information comes through official channels.

MILNET.CA MENTOR

AbdullahD said:

This is as per him, so for me it is verified legitimate information.. I will understand if others feel otherwise.

Dark days for sure.

Not doubting you Adullah but lets wait for official confirmation through proper channels.

Global News is now reporting one dead. This is consistent with earlier eyewitness reports on the ground a retired nurse who reported trying unsuccessfully to help one occupant deceased in the wreckage of the aircraft. :(

RCAF have announced a fatality.

"It is with heavy hearts that we announce that one member of the CF Snowbirds team has died and one has sustained serious injuries. We can confirm that we have contacted all primary family members of those involved. More information will be communicated in the near future."

AbdullahD said:

Dark days for sure.

And now you can see how that information can be wrong...

https://twitter.com/RCAF_ARC/status/1262178849330167813

Update: Our previous statement indicated that the surviving member of the crash suffered serious injuries, we can confirm that their injuries are not considered life threatening.

9:31 PM · May 17, 2020

As with the actions DS took with the splitting of the thread discussing the recent Cyclone incident, a post has been moved to Thoughts and Prayers as a starting point for all who wish to extend condolences, and/or to continue sharing more thoughts for those affected.

https://army.ca/forums/threads/132428/post-1611606/topicseen.html?PHPSESSID=e785g8bc6jjp69aofetln0o42g#new

Please continue using this thread for any future discussion regarding specs, mechanical matters, and so forth related to this incident.

Thank you,

Milnet.ca Staff

An interesting comment made on this morning's CBC news. If on takeoff you have a problem with the aircraft you climb for altitude to enable a safe ejection. That would appear, to me, to be what the pilot was trying to accomplish.

"Retired lieutenant-general André Deschamps, who was commander of the Royal Canadian Air Force from 2009 to 2012, said footage of the crash shows that two Snowbirds got off the ground without a problem, and the jets’ landing gear was retracted in preparation for acceleration.

But as the aircraft reached the end of the runway, the pilot of the trailing plane pulled up rapidly in what’s known as a “zoom maneuver,” which pilots typically perform to buy themselves time in the air after their plane experiences a serious malfunction.

“The pilot wouldn’t do a zoom for any reason other than serious issues inside the airplane,” Deschamps said.

The pilot didn’t get to a high altitude, forcing an ejection close to the ground. It appeared to Deschamps that two people ejected, but footage he’d seen didn’t show their parachutes deploying. “It was a very low-level ejection, so those are very high risk,” he said."
https://www.thestar.com/news/canada/2020/05/17/canadian-forces-snowbird-plane-crashes-in-kamloops.html

News article comments usually make my blood boil, more so recently it seems (I'm getting older?).  I saw one comment that the pilot "shouldn't have been goofing around that low". 

Where's the Throat-punch icon located again?

Baden Guy said:
An interesting comment made on this morning's CBC news. If on takeoff you have a problem with the aircraft you climb for altitude to enable a safe ejection. That would appear, to me, to be what the pilot was trying to accomplish.

Very possible. I saw a video of the crash, and the aircraft was at 45' downward angle when the two ejected and it looked like a decent enough altitude. Obviously there are a lot of factors like location of landing, having adequate training on landing safely after an ejection, and whether or not an individual is conscious after experiencing the G force of an ejection to prepare for a landing.

On another note, I can't help but think of how old these planes are when something like this happens. I know that these planes aren't flown rigorously and they're taken good care of and the technicians who work on these Tutors are highly professional, well trained, and selected to work on them for a reason... but for the safety of our brothers and sisters who fly these aircraft, I would like to see our government look for a replacement aircraft to actually boost moral and to encourage young Canadians to join one day, like it did for me (profile picture).

Lately, it sadly seems to be doing the exact opposite. I'm not usually someone who says or posts difficult things like this, and it hurts to say it, but it's the truth. I hope and pray our government considers looking at a replacement, and soon.

God, bless the men and women who are on the Snowbird team. Please keep them safe and may Your hand of comfort be on them all.

Speaking of there age, are spare parts still being made for these planes? Or are we using what we have in storage?

And here's a 2016 article.

Military studies extending life of Snowbird aircraft 20 years past retirement

https://www.cbc.ca/news/politics/snowbirds-tutor-jets-replacement-1.3689876

"The aerobatic show team thrills spectators by swirling the skies in precise formations, demonstrating the superior skills of pilots commanding the planes. But there have also been serious safety incidents in the past, ranging from seatbelt malfunctions to fiery fatal crashes."

Back