• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Single Quarters & Rations (R&Q) [MERGED]

Sheldon,

hope it works out for you. When are you and your Fiance heading home for the wedding?

I should be back in Ottawa on or about Dec 15th.

Say hey to N for me!

From left field:

If you put in a weekend leave pass with the Ration Strength Yes Box checked perhaps you could convince the RMS clerks not to charge you for weekend rations. ;D

I'm here in Borden, also having to pay rations, when I only eat on average 20 meals a month here. 

People on my course did the getting married thing now, partially to see if they could get off paying R&Q...  they could not get separation pay, until they got their next posting.  And the only way you could get out of paying R&Q was to get a PMQ... here in Borden they won't even let you have an apartment, you still have to pay rations.  And the only way to get a Q is to get married or be common-law, or have a kid with you.  Us single people can't even get together to share a Q.  I'm told it's because Borden is crowded, so I don't know how that goes in Kingston, but look into getting a Q with your pals if you can.

Word is (at least at 3 SQN) CFSCE - no living out on course for single members - makes it hard to give you inspections when your not there :p

Would be good to know if its possible, seeing as I'm back here for LCIS 3's in a month or so... But judging on the fun you guys down the hall have been getting with those inspections of yours, I can't see them letting me get out of that, lol.

Best of luck with getting your monies taken care of.

;) sorry to hijack your thread but I have a simmilar  question

I am ex-mil..my spouse is attending poet sometime in the spring...basic starts around 17 Jan...we have a 10 mos old and are hoping to get a Q.
I had not thought this pos until cfrc mentioned it and now seeing it on this thread.
does anyone know the procedure and timeline?
we were going to rent an apt locally just so he can see the little fella, but if living out of shacks is auth that would be great.

I couldn't find any thread in regards to this topic, so here is the situtation (as per leaflet handed out by F&Q, their link is down).

Effective 1 April 2008 there will be a Re-Linking of rations to quarters in the Edmonton Garrison. Members are to choose one of the following meal plans that best suits their requirements and lifestyle (see below). Those not wishing to "take advantage" of re-Linking will be eligible for PLD as they move out onto the economy.

Plan 1 - Meals provided 7 days per week

Plan 1A - Full rations ($425.25 per month, $15.19 per day)

Plan 1B - Full month 2 meals/day ($364.50 per month, $12.15 per day

Plan 2- Meals provided Mon - Fri

Plan 2A - Mon - Fri 3 meals/day($303.75 per month, $15.19 per day)

Plan 2B - Mon - Fri 2 meals/day ($$243.00 per month, $12.15 per day)
(Note: these prices do not include table serive at the Officer's Mess)

Plan 2B, likely the most popular allows members to eat 2 meals per day, Monday to Friday, and not be compelled to pay for meals on weekends when they are not in the area.

Any thoughts on this ? Has this happened before at other bases or are there other bases currently under this system?

DISCLAIMER: This post is not in itself a rant, therefore does not welcome rants or "this is bullshit" statements. If you have something to contribute, by all means.

Edit: Mods - if I'm in the wrong lane, feel free to relocate to the right forum

Sgt  Schultz said:
It should be pay as you go system. Simple as that.

That is one of 2 status quo options, Full or pay as you go. Some view this as an administrative way to start forcing members out of the shacks due to the limited facilities on base.

rmc_wannabe said:
That is one of 2 status quo options, Full or pay as you go. Some view this as an administrative way to start forcing members out of the shacks due to the limited facilities on base.

There shouldn't be forced rations on troops living in shacks. Paying for the rations too... wouldn't you think somehow rats would be free to the troops? The food has to be made anyways... if one soldier is eating or 3 thousands. I know hay boxes cost money, but should it come out of the mess budget? Not the course or the soldier him/herself? It seems more and more the CF is becoming more of a business than pawns to the federal government. It's all about cost captures.

Well I guess I can look at it in another view. As "if it works, it must be right" idea.
I guess if the rats were free, so should the housing/PMQ/shacks. At less the MIR isn't charging us... yet.
Now as a minor question to some: On ship, does the sailor pay for his 10 o'clock soup?

All I can really say as a sum up: An Army travels on its stomach. ~Napoleon Bonaparte

Edit for Spelling

Sgt  Schultz said:
It should be pay as you go system. Simple as that.

That's not realistic......remember when you blew your paycheque payday weekend and scratched through the next 2 weeks.....it's no different nowadays for the guys/gals in the shacks....

GAP said:
That's not realistic......remember when you blew your paycheque payday weekend and scratched through the next 2 weeks.....it's no different nowadays for the guys/gals in the shacks....

What it should be... is a card you swipe with each time you go in. And at the end of the month, however many times you went during meals hours you are charge that amount.

The meal card at full charge is a non practical idea. (I understand where Edmonton is coming up with their idea.)

What if the member deploys out to sea or in the field? What if they are gone in a emergency? I'm sure there is no one at the counter after hours to freeze your card.

Edit to add the last bit.

Sgt  Schultz said:
Now as a minor question to some: On ship, does the sailor pay for his 10 o'clock soup?

No. And a soldier doesnt pay for his IMPs in the field either.

Sgt  Schultz said:
What it should be... is a card you swipe with each time you go in. And at the end of the month, however many times you went during meals hours you are charge that amount.

That's a more realistic idea, plus it tracks their loads for future buying/preparing...

Perhaps part of the problem is an inconsistent expectation that rations will be available to all who wish to "pay as you go".  If there are (pulling numbers out of thin air here) 3000 soldiers on a base and 1000 pay for rations off their pay and 2000 expect to be able to go to the kitchen whenever they want and pay as they go, then how many meals does the kitchen prepare?

If the kitchen underestimates and those who paid up front are the ones without satisfactory service or the food choices or amounts they expect for the money they already agreed to pay, whose fault is that?

If the kitchen then overestimates and a lot of food it discarded, who pays for that, and whose fault is it?

Should the chain of command be required to inform the kitchen a week ahead when their troops might be in camp, or not, so that the KO can make realistic estimates of meal requirements?

Flexibility has its common sense limits too.

CDN Aviator said:
No. And a soldier doesnt pay for his IMPs in the field either.

Thanks for the quick reply.

I was more referring to being "The CF cook serving warm food on a plate service." Not field rats, if you misunderstood me. IMP's and soup are totally different topic in my view.

Then brings in another question, the cooks, should they have to pay also? Even if they cook all day?

Food for thought...

Hehehe... I made a funny.  ;D

So if they introduced the card system to all users they could track consumption to combine with (it would seem) reasonably accurate budgeting of say....the past five or three years, it would give them more accurate estimates.

The users of the cards would pay/not pay depending on the rules that presently exist....

ps: there are no starving cooks out there.... ;D

rmc_wannabe said:
I couldn't find any thread in regards to this topic, so here is the situtation (as per leaflet handed out by F&Q, their link is down).

Effective 1 April 2008 there will be a Re-Linking of rations to quarters in the Edmonton Garrison. Members are to choose one of the following meal plans that best suits their requirements and lifestyle (see below). Those not wishing to "take advantage" of re-Linking will be eligible for PLD as they move out onto the economy.

Plan 1 - Meals provided 7 days per week

Plan 1A - Full rations ($425.25 per month, $15.19 per day)

Plan 1B - Full month 2 meals/day ($364.50 per month, $12.15 per day

Plan 2- Meals provided Mon - Fri

Plan 2A - Mon - Fri 3 meals/day($303.75 per month, $15.19 per day)

Plan 2B - Mon - Fri 2 meals/day ($$243.00 per month, $12.15 per day)
(Note: these prices do not include table serive at the Officer's Mess)

Plan 2B, likely the most popular allows members to eat 2 meals per day, Monday to Friday, and not be compelled to pay for meals on weekends when they are not in the area.

Any thoughts on this ? Has this happened before at other bases or are there other bases currently under this system?

DISCLAIMER: This post is not in itself a rant, therefore does not welcome rants or "this is bullshit" statements. If you have something to contribute, by all means.

Edit: Mods - if I'm in the wrong lane, feel free to relocate to the right forum

Don't you have PAYG (pay as you go), with a swipe card?

The lads have the option here of paying as you go, or full rats 7 days a week. Most choose PAYG.

I think its unfair to shame/force pers to pay for things they are not going to use.

Sounds like yet again a large civilian influence, converting a Defence Force into a business.

Sucks, or blows, you decide.

Cheers,

Wes

Sgt  Schultz said:
Paying for the rations too... wouldn't you think somehow rats would be free to the troops? The food has to be made anyways... if one soldier is eating or 3 thousands. I know hay boxes cost money, but should it come out of the mess budget? Not the course or the soldier him/herself? It seems more and more the CF is becoming more of a business than pawns to the federal government. It's all about cost captures.

Wow.  At the risk of sounding... well, sarcastic... why shouldn't I eat free too?  Maybe i'm reading you wrong,  ??? but what a can of worms to be opening in a forum such as this!!  There seems to be so much wrong with that statement...

Sgt  Schultz said:

The meal card at full charge is a non practical idea. (I understand where Edmonton is coming up with their idea.)

What if the member deploys out to sea or in the field? What if they are gone in a emergency? I'm sure there is no one at the counter after hours to freeze your card.

Edit to add the last bit.

More commonly, what if the member is on block leave? You're still paying for food that isn't making it downrange, and spending more money paying for food that you can consume cause it isn't 400 miles away (in my case at least).

And Michael I get where you're coming from, however I've been through the mess nights where they've under prepared or have over prepared, its hard to balance out, but I don't think forcing rations will achieve more of a balance .

Excellent points Michael. No need to worry about forecasting for Thursday night steak nights -- you just know every single member on base is showing up for that meal.

Back