• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Single Quarters & Rations (R&Q) [MERGED]

personally, I don't think the young fellers should be paying Rations at all, or Quarters. Especially for Quarters, considering they're the size of my closet!
But, yeah, I think they're being fleeced. (For that matter, so is anyone living in a 50-60 year old PMQ, and paying rent equivalent to nearby civvilian housing.)

I'll see you and raise you that we should have the best medical services upon x amount of years in the military and retired and we shouldn't pay taxes either.  Ultimate liability should count for something.

So in Shilo it is costing a guy $350/mth for food?

I spend $400 a month and that feeds 5 of us three good squares and 3-4 snacks/day. That feeds two adults a preteen boy, a girl with hollow legs and a my little qarterback 4yr old son.

We get f*cking fleeced out here on the island, everything costs more. It costs my wife and I between $400-$500 a month in groceries. As much as I love it here on the rock, I can't wait to get back to the mainland where things are sort of affordable. In sort of the same thread, what's the housing and rental market like in Pet, I have the strangest feeling that's where I'm going next.

Hey Island Ryhno
I just came from Pet and it is gettting more expensive....we sold our townhouse 2 yrs ago for $105 and it was no way near new, but centrally located. A house is getting to be $130-140+....and that's probably not really close to the base. Check out mls.ca for realestate listings. Keep in mind Pembroke is about 15-20 mins East - where all the shopping is and Chalk River and Deep River is 10-15 mins west...a bit more affordable but there's a nuclear plant or something in Chalk that turns some people off. Black Bay is a nice area...more space and only a few clicks from the base. I loved Pet...don't let others scare you - I'd go back in a minute. Great for families and they pay you to get up and exercise every day!
Godd luck!

Does anyone know how much it costs to live in barracks in Kingston (room and board)?

Thanks!

but there's a nuclear plant or something in Chalk that turns some people off

...and Petawawa and Pembroke are down river from it.

Springroll said:
So in Shilo it is costing a guy $350/mth for food?

I spend $400 a month and that feeds 5 of us three good squares and 3-4 snacks/day. That feeds two adults a preteen boy, a girl with hollow legs and a my little qarterback 4yr old son.
Wow!!!! I spend that much just for me, but I eat lots for training purposes.

Warvstar said:
Wow!!!! I spend that much just for me, but I eat lots for training purposes.

I will also go to 3 or 4 different stores to get the best deal on food.

Could someone currently attending the AVN course at CFSATE give some idea, details on the accommodations?

How many per room?
What are the rooms like?
can you have high speed internet / cable hook ups?

Any info would be greatly appreciated.

PS.  Feel free to give some feedback on the training you are going through as well .. I'll be there in January.

I'm on the AVN course.

3-4 per room. If you are one of the lucky courses, like mine, you'll get 2 per room seperate from the barracks.

If you get the 3-4, they aren't all that big and you have just a closest for your stuff, you'll also get a desk for "studying". The 2's are smaller then the 3-4's, but all they can have is 2 max and you get a larger closet and a bug storage room for your stuff e.i. Golf clubs, hockey gear, car stuff, rifles, clothing, whatever.

Yes, you have can get an internet hook-up, Cable or DSL.

You will enjoy it here. The staff make it very memorable....... ::)

That's sweet .. I really don't mind the room situation .. How far are you from everything .. Canex CFSAL etc.. Just trying to place myself .. it's been a while since I've gone to Borden .. hehe ..

Canex is a 30 min walk or a 2 min drive. Dono or care where CFSAL is. ;D

CFSAL is right by barracks T-139 an across the street from the H Club(JRs Mess).

jutes said:
Dono or care where CFSAL is. ;D
Good thing that those that train at CFSAL care about your pay, clothing etc ...
give yourself some 'TI' and your sure to learn not to insult them.....  ;)

Ah, that "new" building is CFSAL, its hard to tell cause the letting fell off.  ;D

jutes said:
Ah, that "new" building is CFSAL, its hard to tell cause the letting fell off.   ;D
My we really are acting uneducated aren't we?

Oh, I didn't know it was manditory to have a 120IQ to post on army.ca. Man, there are a lot of people on this site that need to lighten up.

Back