• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Single Quarters & Rations (R&Q) [MERGED]

Any idease how the Vacation time and Stat holidays are handed out during AVN training ? .. Is there a winter break of some type during March / April or so?

Any info would be appreciated

Hi all,
Sorry to cut in on your post but does anyone know what the accomodations are like for someone who is going to be living in single's quarters for 6 months?  I am not on trades training.  Entering as a Cpl and will be there for my 6month OJE.  I have been informed that I will have a single occupancy room and that I could bring a microwave/small fridge/tv/computer and such for my room. Is this true?  How large are these rooms?  Any help would be appreciated as I am due to arrive there the end of January once I finish my BMQ.
Thanks
P

Hi does anyone know how the accomations are in CFSCE Kingston?

# people per room
co-ed rooms or not
do they have internet?

Thank you,
question

CFSCE - 4 to a room, internet hook up available through commercial provider (There may be exceptions, this is just what I experienced and what I saw). Barracks are co-ed, rooms are not.

questions said:
Hi does anyone know how the accomations are in CFSCE Kingston?

# people per room
co-ed rooms or not
do they have internet?

Thank you,
question
I really hate people you can't do anything for themselves.  This question (Reply #13 ) in this thread was only answered in Jutes Reply #1 http://forums.army.ca/forums/threads/35631/post-285500.html#msg285500

When people do things like this, it really has a negative reflection on our opinion of them.

I know you said "Thanks. Duly noted" last time.  Apparently not the case, though.

Diver Down said:
Any idease how the Vacation time and Stat holidays are handed out during AVN training ? .. Is there a winter break of some type during March / April or so?

Any info would be appreciated

Yes, there is block leave for 2 weeks in July/August and 2 weeks for xmas. Plus all stat holidays and march break you will get a week off if you have enough leave days left. They might also throw in a curve ball and give you leave, only to cancel it with everyone already having made travel/flight and personal/family plans. You will love CFSATE.  ;D

Well .. I'm here now .. he he .. and officially on PAT until May 06 .. At least you can count on the block leaves in summer and Christmas.  Hope I can find some OJT until the time my course starts up.

If anyone needs info before coming to Borden .. Just ask and I will do my best to answer .. CFRC may not always provide the most accurate info (not necessarily their fault either)

cheers

Yes OJT can make a big difference in morale .. I'm hoping to get some OJT in Gagetown Until End April .. We'll see

I'm currently in CFSATE (pat platoon). Im' in bldg A-150 (next to the "o" club). 4 to a room here now, its pretty crowded at the moment.
you can get high speed net and cable(digital also). I'm actually fortunate to have a long term tasking to 17 hgr.
but overall it not a bad place.

P.S.  oh yea no alcohol or ladies in barracks :'(

I'm on my QL6 at CFSAL right now...

And eff as of Mon, alcohol is now allowed in T-139.

FYI. :D

The reasoning behind the no alcohol within the CFSATE barracks is because the are many people here that decide to act like children and are in turn treated that way.  Rightfully so I might add.

Alcohol and women may not be PERMITTED in the barracks, but you would never guess that by the amounts that are seen floating around on any given night or weekend.

We had vending machines at one point that were vandalized and POOF .. removed by the company.

"Children" decided to bash the machine one night and empty it out.

What has the military come to?      ::)

LittlePammy said:
Hi all,
Sorry to cut in on your post but does anyone know what the accomodations are like for someone who is going to be living in single's quarters for 6 months?  I am not on trades training.  Entering as a Cpl and will be there for my 6month OJE.   I have been informed that I will have a single occupancy room and that I could bring a microwave/small fridge/tv/computer and such for my room. Is this true?  How large are these rooms?  Any help would be appreciated as I am due to arrive there the end of January once I finish my BMQ.
Thanks
P

You will probably be in Building T-138. Literaly the same building as the H-Club(JR's mess). Its pretty sweet only having to stumble like 400ft to get into my bed.

Accomodations are alot like a dorm room in university/college. There are Mods of 10 rooms each. So you will room with up to 9 other people, you share 3 bathrooms, and 3 showers. laundry room(washer and dryer for each mod) and a common room with a sink/bar fridge/microwave, and a TV with cable.

The rooms itself have a single bed(the new ones in the few MODs that have been renovated are pretty comfortable. A nightstand with an alarmclock, and a desk light. There is a desk, 2 closets(you should be able to fit everything you need into the both of them.

Microwave/fridge- The Base cheif sent out an email to all the unit cheifs saying that this building cant have cooking appliances in the rooms. I have been there two years with a fridge/microwave/convection oven/blender, I have never once had a problem with anything. Though if you burn the food in your room, you migth set off the fire alarm. Also remember there is both of these appliances in the common room, but the fridge is only a barfridge, so not alot of room in there.

Computer-Absolutley, Highspeed internet is available from rogers(not sure about DSL from Bell).

TV-If you want to get cable in your room, you can get any level of cable right up to full digital cable from rogers in your room. Also there is about 3 satelite dishes on the roof of the shacks, so I geuse some people have Expressview or whatever.

Send me a PM if you want any more info on it. I have been in singles quarters in Borden for 2 years and a month now.

Man, Diver Down, I have had some crazy parties in the shacks over there with some of the guys on the AVN course.

Just looking for some clarification.

Currently on my LCIS QL3 course in Kingston.  I was told that I have to pay rations and quarters while I am on course.  The problem with that is that travel back to Ottawa every weekend so I only actually eat at the mess from Monday to Friday at most. I was wishing to go on pay as you go but was told as long as I am on course that was not an option. Is this correct?

Also, I am getting married on 23 Dec 07.  I was told that I am still going to have to pay R&Q and will not be entitled to separation pay after I get married because marital status changes do not affect anything if it occurs after your COS date.  My course runs from 15-Oct-07 to 19-Mar-08.

I haven't been able to get a straight answer. 

Thanks for any help

Wow you are going on course and travelling backwards in time?
LOL (sorry, couldn't resist.. you put Oct 07 till Mar 07 as your dates.. instead of Mar 08)

anyway.. I am pretty sure you will be entitled to separation pay effective the date you are married (or common law). I would talk to the OR about this.. although, I know what a pain the ass the OR at CFSCE can be, and I know they treat students like second class citizens. (as you can tell, I spent some time at CFSCE).
I was in the same situation as you and received all the benefits as of my change of status date.
As for R&Q when you go home to Ottawa for the weekend.. That is a lost cause.. You are obligated to pay, even if you don't eat a meal at the mess. Look on the bright side, as least you live close enough to drive home for the weekends.. (PS, when you start to receive separation pay, they will deduct the weekends from your allowance if you go home to Ottawa.. you cant collect separation pay while your wife is sitting next to you ! )

PiperDown said:
Wow you are going on course and travelling backwards in time?
LOL (sorry, couldn't resist.. you put Oct 07 till Mar 07 as your dates.. instead of Mar 08)

anyway.. I am pretty sure you will be entitled to separation pay effective the date you are married (or common law). I would talk to the OR about this.. although, I know what a pain the *** the OR at CFSCE can be, and I know they treat students like second class citizens. (as you can tell, I spent some time at CFSCE).
I was in the same situation as you and received all the benefits as of my change of status date.
As for R&Q when you go home to Ottawa for the weekend.. That is a lost cause.. You are obligated to pay, even if you don't eat a meal at the mess. Look on the bright side, as least you live close enough to drive home for the weekends.. (PS, when you start to receive separation pay, they will deduct the weekends from your allowance if you go home to Ottawa.. you cant collect separation pay while your wife is sitting next to you ! )

Not true anymore.  They remove 2 days of separation expense every month, no matter if you took days of leave.  So you can go a whole month on leave at home and still get the separation expense.

Are you TD, Attached Posted or Posted there?

Max

I am currently posted to Kingston.  The separation expense isn't the big issue that I have. I could live without that. However the Rations are killing my pay.

The only way you are going to get out of paying rations while on course in Kingston is to move out of the shacks.
I know of a few guys who got together on previous courses and went into a PMQ together.. Although, your course is not that long (POET and LCIS used to be almost 2 years) so, your chances of getting one could be pretty slim.

Cheers,

PS.. I know a bunch of your LCIS instructors.. I could put in a good word for you !! LOL >:D  (jokes)

What about if I have my name on a lease with my Fiance in Ottawa.  Would that get me out of paying for quarters?

Unless you plan to go home every night.

What I meant by moving out of the shacks, was getting a local place. They would never authorize you to drive back and forth from ottawa everyday for course.
But, if you are listed as married, and are collecting seperation expense, you will not have to pay for R and Q. The CF does not expect you to pay for two residences at the same time. However, you are POSTED to kingston, so you have to have a residence within the geographical region on Kingston.. which for you, is in the shacks.
If you status changes to married while you are on course there may be a large amout of paperwork to be done before you can collect seperation expense.. (and thus get free rations and quarters) but, in your case, it would be worth pursuing.

Back