• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Sikh & India (Alleged) Shenanigans in Canada (split fm Non-Muslim terr thread)

The second big winner is China. Our public inquiry into foreign interference finally kicked off — and suddenly, they’re not the focus anymore. There are other bad states doing bad things.

And do we remember who was behind expanding the scope of the foreign interference investigation? 🤔

…I’ll give you a moment…

…yup…

I do not like codifying secrecy. In any sphere.

Trying to keep secrets is different than making the disclosure of secrets illegal. Especially when keeping secrets is as futile as trying to protect intellectual property.

Between claims of "national security" and protecting the flock from bad books and misinformation we are regressing to an era that I thought had died before I was born. Other countries banned books and limited speech - not my countries.

I do find it interesting how you feel about this, though I do not agree with you.

I don't feel that restricting some information is a regression, I actually feel we are the most informed ever as a public. But I also feel some things should never be public information and truly believe some information will cause more damage than its worth if it is public.

Looks like the government gutted a CSIS probe into India’s interference campaign so PMJT wouldn’t be embarrassed on a trip to India.

Are we surprised by this?

Trudeau’s done the math on this (well, actually Katie Telford’s done the math), and there is more to be made keeping the Sikh votes in Canada than angering PM Modi and India.

I do find it interesting how you feel about this, though I do not agree with you.

I don't feel that restricting some information is a regression, I actually feel we are the most informed ever as a public. But I also feel some things should never be public information and truly believe some information will cause more damage than its worth if it is public.
We resolve to disagree. ;)

Are we surprised by this?

Trudeau’s done the math on this (well, actually Katie Telford’s done the math), and there is more to be made keeping the Sikh votes in Canada than angering PM Modi and India.

First let me preface this by saying I am not a supporter of JT.

Do you think Trudeaus motivation for this announcement yesterday was focused more on votes than actual national security?

It's a scenario I haven't considered.

The 2019 NSICOP report, provided to Trudeau by his bipartisan intelligence review body, details three case studies of interference from China, Russia and India, and scrutinizes Ottawa’s lax responses.

Looks like the government gutted a CSIS probe into India’s interference campaign so PMJT wouldn’t be embarrassed on a trip to India.

So what has Brazil been up to locally? Are we facing 3 entities or one? And where are Gerhard Schroeder and his buddies in all of this?

I do not like codifying secrecy. In any sphere.

Trying to keep secrets is different than making the disclosure of secrets illegal. Especially when keeping secrets is as futile as trying to protect intellectual property.

Between claims of "national security" and protecting the flock from bad books and misinformation we are regressing to an era that I thought had died before I was born. Other countries banned books and limited speech - not my countries.

There is absolutely stuff that public had no business knowing.
Governments have classifications for a reason. Now I do agree that democratic governments should share a lot more information with the voting public than they generally do, there needs to be a balance between protecting the public, sources and collection methods

There is absolutely stuff that public had no business knowing.
Governments have classifications for a reason. Now I do agree that democratic governments should share a lot more information with the voting public than they generally do, there needs to be a balance between protecting the public, sources and collection methods

There speaks the Dark Side. ;)

Oof. Holy crap. That kinda gives a bit more context to the rather frosty interactions over the past couple weeks.

But wow, you don’t just come out and accuse another country of murder without some really solid evidence.

The US entered WWI when Britain sent the US a copy of a German telegram to Mexico. What are the sources of the evidence?

The US entered WWI when Britain sent the US a copy of a German telegram to Mexico. What are the sources of the evidence?

We went into Afghanistan to remove the Taliban and get OBL and AQ, was there any evidence provided publicly to that? Until OBL released a video confirming the fact they did it, multiple governments had sent troops into Afghanistan based on evidence that was never publicly released.

Your PM has not declared war on India, so I suggest that the bar to information release isn’t exactly the same requirement at this point

First let me preface this by saying I am not a supporter of JT.

Do you think Trudeaus motivation for this announcement yesterday was focused more on votes than actual national security?

It's a scenario I haven't considered.
According to what I read this morning (TorStar or G & M) the PM went public because he learned the Globe and Mail was publishing an article about the incident.

Various agencies are reporting that Canada has PNG'd an Indian diplomat:

Foreign Minister MÉLANIE JOLY told reporters that Canada had expelled an Indian diplomat, PAVAN KUMAR RAI. Joly's office identified him as the Canadian head of New Delhi’s Research and Analysis Wing (India's foreign intelligence agency). The Indian High Commission website lists him as a minister for eco, coordination and community affairs.

And in return India has expelled a senior (so far unnamed ) Canadian diplomat:

The High Commissioner of Canada to India was summoned today and informed about the decision of the Government of India to expel a senior Canadian diplomat based in India. The concerned diplomat has been asked to leave India within the next five days.

The decision reflects Government of India’s growing concern at the interference of Canadian diplomats in our internal matters and their involvement in anti-India activities.

New Delhi
September 19, 2023

I was part of a conversation between a few Canadians and an Indian from Africa who mentioned the issues between the two groups causing problems in Canada. I could tell that the other Canadians didn't believe him or didn't want to believe him as they may appear racist. I think that we may have to have a more realistic look into this, even if most media sources don't want to report on it.

Back