• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Sikh & India (Alleged) Shenanigans in Canada (split fm Non-Muslim terr thread)

Yes, the face/name on the banner is the man who was murdered, the banner is alleging that three diplomats from India's High Commission in Ottawa are responsible for the murder

I am willing to bet real money that it was somebody in that very temple.
The local politics of running those places of worship can get rather heated.
Some years ago I can remember reading of an election of board members these turned into a knife, sword and gun fight.

Some years ago I can remember reading of an election of board members these turned into a knife, sword and gun fight.

Yep

Nijjar was known to have been feuding with the former Khalistani militant Ripudaman Singh Malik, the multimillionaire implicated in Babbar Khalsa’s 1985 Air India bombing who was murdered in a hit job in July last year. Malik, who was acquitted on Air India charges, had made his peace with the Indian government and had his name removed from India’s visa blacklist as a result. Malik went on to express support for India’s authoritarian Prime Minister Narendra Modi, who is wildly unpopular among India’s Sikhs and has become notorious for his civil rights abuses and close relationships with Russia’s Vladimir Putin and China’s Xi Jinping.
But if India was involved, that’s still not cool.

Ask this question:

Who benefits?

No. I love the Klingon's way.

We should use it to select CDS: Let the Chief of Maritime Operations, Air operations and Land Operations duke it out, after a proper Ja-Juk, and let the one who prevail run the whole military. :)

No. I love the Klingon's way.

We should use it to select CDS: Let the Chief of Maritime Operations, Air operations and Land Operations duke it out, after a proper Ja-Juk, and let the one who prevail run the whole military. :)
How about the other L1s?

But sure - strategic selection based on fisticuffs.
:sneaky:

India is a great example of diversity not being a strength, as its only a strength if they intend to work together. This isn’t the first example of a foreign diaspora bringing their violence and problems from their homeland here, it won’t be the last.

Yep

But if India was involved, that’s still not cool.

Terry Glavin goes more in depth in his Substack about the Khalistani movement and Ottawa’s unwillingness to do anything about it.

Spoiler: Is India interfering In Canada's affairs? If we mean interference by the Indian government then no, not much, certainly not the tiniest fraction of the scale of Beijing’s interference. This is what’s going to get me into trouble with this Real Story series: To the extent that the Indian government is “interfering” in Canada, its verified activity is not entirely unwarranted.
Another spoiler: Is Canada interfering in India’s affairs? If by “interference” we mean direct interference by the Trudeau government, the answer is no, not if we mean by acts of commission. But yes, if we mean by negligence, indifference, stupidity and cowardice. In Delhi, the Trudeau government is understood as a national-security menace, but less of a direct threat than an extremely dangerous caucus of compromised imbeciles.

Part 3 on Khalistani extremism swept under the rug by the Canadian government.

In the original version of the Public Safety department’s 2018 Public Report on the Terrorism Threat to Canada, right at the top, under “The Current Terrorist Threat to Canada,” there are five headings. They are Sunni Islamist Extremism, Right-Wing Extremism, Sikh (Khalistani) Extremism, Shia Extremism and Canadian Extremist Travellers.

By April of 2019, the whole document had been rewritten with every mention of Khalistani extremism expunged.

The reason is pretty straightforward. The World Sikh Organization was furious, and the NDP’s Jagmeet Singh raised hell.
This didn’t sit well with Liberal MP Ramesh Sangha, himself a Sikh. He criticized his fellow Liberal Sikh MPs for badgering the government to have the term "Khalistani extremism" removed from Public Safety’s 2018 Public Report on terrorist threats. His fellow Liberals had a “hidden agenda,” he said. They were out to "camouflage" Khalistani extremism.

In 2021, after raising similar concerns, and specifically identifying Liberal cabinet minister Navdeep Bains, Sangha was kicked out of the Liberal caucus. Bains chose not to run for re-election in 2021.

Former B.C. premier Ujjal Dosanjh, who is also a former federal Liberal cabinet minister, has the whole disgraceful story of the tampered-with intelligence documents right here. Not so fun fact about Dosanjh: Back in 1985, he was beaten within an inch of his life for being insufficiently deferential to the Khalistanis. Charged but not convicted in the attack: Jaspal Singh Atwal.

Not so fun fact about Navdeep Bains: His father-in-law, Darshan Singh Saini, was a member of a Babbar Khalsa faction back in the day and Saini had come to the attention of the authorities, as they say. One thing everyone can say for certain about the Air India atrocity was that it was a Babbar Khalsa job.

Breaking news from the BBC on the Hardeep Singh Nijjar killing in BC:

Prime Minister Justin Trudeau says the Indian government could be behind the fatal shooting of Canadian Sikh leader Hardeep Singh Nijjar.
Mr Nijjar was shot dead outside of a Sikh temple on 18 June in British Columbia (BC).
Mr Trudeau said Canadian intelligence has identified a credible link between his death and the Indian state.
He raised the issue with Indian Prime Minister Narendra Modi at the recent G20 summit, he said.

"Any involvement of a foreign government in the killing of a Canadian citizen on Canadian soil is an unacceptable violation of our sovereignty," Mr Trudeau said on Monday in the House of Commons.
Mr Nijjar was a prominent Sikh leader in the province of BC and a vocal backer of a separate Khalistani state. Supporters of his have said that he was a target of threats in the past because of his activism.

India has previously said he was a terrorist and led a militant separatist group - accusations his supporters call "unfounded".
Could certainly explain the frosty relations between PM Trudeau and PM Modi at the G20 Summit.

A prominent Khalistani movement leader got murdered outside a gurdwara in Surrey, BC a few weeks ago. The heat’s definitely been turned up. Yesterday’s protests were peaceful though, so that’s good.

Yes, the face/name on the banner is the man who was murdered, the banner is alleging that three diplomats from India's High Commission in Ottawa are responsible for the murder

This has to be a highly calculated move.

I can't see any nation publicly calling out another without weighing all the outcomes. India will most likely react with some sort of reprisals in return.

I'm sure there were some sort of unofficial communication between the two governments before this announcement, maybe the results of that communication forced Canada's hand.

Oof. Holy crap. That kinda gives a bit more context to the rather frosty interactions over the past couple weeks.

But wow, you don’t just come out and accuse another country of murder without some really solid evidence.

Interesting that this comes out at a time when our fancy socks PM and his party are suffering from abysmally-low popularity ratings and has been dragging his feet on doing anything about Chinese interference in Canadian affairs. I wonder how those Canadians of south Asian origin will react.

Meanwhile I read today in one newspaper or other (I’m a news junkie) that the federal government was informed 25 years ago by security officials of a significant effort by China to spy on Canada and Canadians, and to affect greater control over our institutions and economy, yada, yada, yada. 25 years ago would, I believe, take us back to the Chretien years. Hmmmm.

A foreign, possibly government sponsored, kill team assassinating a Canadian citizen on Canadian soil. Crazy.

Interesting that this comes out at a time when our fancy socks PM and his party are suffering from abysmally-low popularity ratings and has been dragging his feet on doing anything about Chinese interference in Canadian affairs. I wonder how those Canadians of south Asian origin will react.

Meanwhile I read today in one newspaper or other (I’m a news junkie) that the federal government was informed 25 years ago by security officials of a significant effort by China to spy on Canada and Canadians, and to affect greater control over our institutions and economy, yada, yada, yada. 25 years ago would, I believe, take us back to the Chretien years. Hmmmm.
There's all party blame here; who was in government when FIPA was brought in?

Back